Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Yeti thermous

In need of a new thermous anyone use one of the Yeti?

I know some rave about them but how do they work when you are out ice fishn in january?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:01 AM

I use alot of yeti products. They work great but they are expensive. Function similar to competitors that will do the same job. American design. But still made in china. It's marketed as a lifestyle brand. So when u take a photo with it then u look like a pro outdoorsman 😂. If you take a photo with a Stanley then you're a worker.

This is how they became a billion dollar company in such a short span of time. It works and it's functional. Depends if you want to spend the extra bucks for the just name.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Nailed it. I'm not sure which company invented it, but I was gifted a Yeti tumbler with magnetic closing lid. Honestly gamechanger for not spilling coffee lol. The magnetic lid holds well, no leaks. I've got similar Woods thermos that work just as well as far as keeping coffee warm if not betrer. No magnetic lid tho.

Their coolers are a complete ripoff, but boy do they look good in the background of pictures.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 11:17 AM

hahah its either look like A or look like B

businesses are so heavily influenced by social media now. If you're a sucker for it and you like instagram I would say go for it. If you dont give a damn then I would say dont waste your money haha

This guy

or this guy

Respect wildlife
Old 11-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNKDAWGEH View Post
Nailed it. I'm not sure which company invented it, but I was gifted a Yeti tumbler with magnetic closing lid. Honestly gamechanger for not spilling coffee lol. The magnetic lid holds well, no leaks. I've got similar Woods thermos that work just as well as far as keeping coffee warm if not betrer. No magnetic lid tho.

Their coolers are a complete ripoff, but boy do they look good in the background of pictures.

I have the "Yeti Rambler" in the 591ml size. It works quite well, and the magnetic lid is terrific as you noted. I'm not sure if they work as well as the heavy duty Stanleys, but they will definitely keep your drinks warm. I think it was about $40, which I would consider good value.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:46 AM

Every independent review of Yeti products, mostly hard and soft sided coolers, I have ever read always had at least 4 other makes that equal or exceed Yeti performance and cost from 80 to 20% of what the Yeti sells for. I can see no reason whatever that their Thermos product would not be the same. Google Yeti Thermos reviews and I bet you find the same thing for them. I have never personally owned a Yeti anything because I refuse to pay the "Brand" price. It is like the $350 Gucci T Shirt that is "EXACTLY" the same and made in the same factory as the Walmart version that sells for $15. Gucci was peed right off when they got outed for that one but it didn't stop the posers from buying that $350 T shirt.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Every independent review of Yeti products, mostly hard and soft sided coolers, I have ever read always had at least 4 other makes that equal or exceed Yeti performance and cost from 80 to 20% of what the Yeti sells for. I can see no reason whatever that their Thermos product would not be the same. Google Yeti Thermos reviews and I bet you find the same thing for them. I have never personally owned a Yeti anything because I refuse to pay the "Brand" price. It is like the $350 Gucci T Shirt that is "EXACTLY" the same and made in the same factory as the Walmart version that sells for $15. Gucci was peed right off when they got outed for that one but it didn't stop the posers from buying that $350 T shirt.
If we are talking about the thermos and mugs then I would agree that they are nice but no better then many other competitors.

As for the coolers I will have to say they are much better then many competitors.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-13-2020, 12:06 PM

I have a 105q yeti that I was able to get wholesale 10 years or so ago. It works great.

Today I wouldn't pay what they want for one.

I also have a Rambler that I received as a gift. It's good but I find I use my Contigo that I bought at Costco.

It's all marketing
Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 PM

I’ve heard Engel and Pelican make virtually the same product, but cheaper for the consumer.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I’ve heard Engel and Pelican make virtually the same product, but cheaper for the consumer.
true!

Everyone didnt believe an over engineered cooler was gonna work on the consumer market priced 5 times more then the average. Yeti started it and now everyone is following.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-13-2020, 12:41 PM

Their bear proof thing is obviously complete BS too. A bear could easily bite off those rubber locks and get into the cooler. Maybe they got called on it and don't say it anymore, probably replaced it with "outdoors-rated" or "advanced predator protection" or some sort of garbage.

Old 11-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
This sounds like some Facebook meme news, lol.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the replys.

Kinda figured it was a bit too much money for a thermous.

Think I'll just keep looking for another Nissan.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:43 AM

A little off topic but on the cooler side, UK PRODUCTS who advertises at the top of this site is a great source for all sizes of coolers at very good prices, as well as great flashlights. Great guys to deal with too. I’ve bought lots from them for myself and for fundraisers and have no complaints at all. (No I don’t know them or work for them, just think that small local business should get credit where it’s due)
Old 11-14-2020, 09:11 AM

I like Yeti drinkware products. I have a green Stanley thermos and my Yeti Rambler tumbler will keep drinks hotter longer. Yeti's tumblers and cups are on par with most other brands pricewise and worth the money. I do want to try Pelican's insulated bottle and see how it compares to my Stanley. The 64oz version comes in at $65. Pelican makes great stuff so it's worth a shot.

Coolers are another game. Yeti performs well, but as others have said there are other products that perform as well or almost as well for much cheaper. I'm partial to Pelican coolers. Performance equal to Yeti in my experience, the price is a little lower and the hardware is better. The actual latches alone are superior imho to Yetis rubber handles.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:23 PM

Stanley does the job for me on the ice and never fails. Yeti is way overpriced for what you get.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Their bear proof thing is obviously complete BS too. A bear could easily bite off those rubber locks and get into the cooler. Maybe they got called on it and don't say it anymore, probably replaced it with "outdoors-rated" or "advanced predator protection" or some sort of garbage.

Your comment reminded me of this video:

https://vimeo.com/296016960

Bears are just the best lol

Also, I have both a Stanley and a Yeti coffee mug. I'll only use the Yeti when I forget to wash the Stanley, otherwise Stanley is my every day coffee mug. The Yeti is great but that's the problem, my coffee stays too damn hot to drink and by the time its cool enough its lunch and I haven't had my coffee...
Old 11-16-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:

The correct term is bear resistant not "bear proof" as you put it, and in order to be considered bear resistant a cooler must have pad locks or bolts securing the lid. If you don't have those applied it is no different than any other cooler. Ever wonder why coolers certified by the IGBT have a feature allowing the use of padlocks or bolts to secure the lid. If you are relying upon just the rubber latches then you are correct that doesn't do squat.

I live 10 miles from where the testing for certification is done. I have seen products that have been tested, both those that have passed and those that have failed. I can tell you the last I saw Yeti indeed passed. That doesn't mean a bear can't damage the cooler, it just means that in the 60 minute time given for the test, the bear was not able to get the contents of the cooler.

https://www.greatbigstory.com/storie...roduct-testers

https://www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.org/...oduct-testing/

http://igbconline.org/product-testing-faqs/

Back to the OP, I was a complete skeptic on Yeti until I was given one. Since then seeing how they perform I am a believer and have bought several other products of theirs. My sister has a Yeti like the one you are inquiring about. She will make coffee or tea before she goes to work a 12 hour shift and at the end of the shift the beverage is still too hot to drink. I have several of their products and yes they are expensive, but I know what I am getting without having to do a whole lot of research on other brands. I also do not have to wonder if the product testing done was legit or just some random guy online who is against Yeti. To each their own, but they are one product I save up for and buy once, cry once.

http://igbconline.org/wp-content/upl...ducts_List.pdf
Old 11-20-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
In need of a new thermous anyone use one of the Yeti?

I know some rave about them but how do they work when you are out ice fishn in january?
I have a number of yeti products. I was sceptical at first, but thought they were worth a try! I can tell you, the level of thought and engineering that goes into these products is second to none! I have the Rambler 36oz, as well as 16oz, and a number of Rambler go cups.Worth every penny IMHO! Won't go back!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM

although hesitant to post now …….lol ….... often times and we make trips with a few trucks, groups of people, with boats, coolers for a few days - some times a week. Everyone has a cooler or two and many of the brands seem to be represented ….

Here's my opinion ….

The YETI works better. By a long shot from what I can see. Sure - these are not scientific studies where the exact same amount of ice, head (air space) or contents are matched with a cooler sitting in the exact same position (under a tree or in the back of a truck) - but seems obvious to me. 5-6 days later the ice is still there and the contents are cold. Other coolers are nothing more than warm boxes at that point.

In at least half a dozen trips - after emptying (and consolidating down) the contents of the other coolers that melted away - we ended up finishing the trip on the YETI which was the "last man standing".

I'm convinced they keep ice longer and work better - they are heavier, have thicker walls, and hold less (comparing similar sized coolers) but are they really worth the massive price difference?

On a long trip ……… possibly

But for most of us ………. or 2-3 day trips (or trips where you can refresh your ice) probably not at all.

That's my (unscientific) and observational opinion.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:05 PM

Have two yeti products. High priced for sure. High quality, for sure. Have the 26 oz bottle, keeps water so cold including beer/wine on a hot day(so cold for so long). Also have a 20oz tumbler and got the spill proof lid, works great, never spilled.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 PM

I have a yeti tumbler and it is great, easily worth the cost. Hot coffee all morning. Cold drinks for hours.

It isn't what I would consider a thermos though as the lid doesn't seal and is not insulated. For that you would have to get what they call a 36 oz bottle with "cup cap". I haven't tried one but I am sure they would work well.

Stanley is probably as good of a thermos and cheaper though.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 PM

I had a yeti 45 liter yeti in Canada and loved it. When we moved over here I needed a cooler for bait on the boat and found this Yeti knockoff on eBay. The build construction looked the same as a yeti and for the price I thought it was worth a try.

So it arrived and I mounted a couple of stainless cleats on the transom to hold it down. Build construction was identical to a yeti. I put frozen bait in it and usually a frozen 2 litre of ice. It sits in the 30-35 degree sun and everything’s still frozen or mostly frozen 8-12 hours later when I get home. I’m in and out of the cooler dozens of times through a day. IMO performance is identical to the yeti and the price was minimal. For $114 shipped it wasn’t a bad deal at all.

I’m not home so I can’t get pics of it but here’s something snipped out of existing photos.

They make them much bigger but here’s an average size and price.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy another yeti but there are cheaper options that offer similar performance.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:37 AM

Yeti pioneered the thick cooler. All are basically similar in injection mould technology for coolers. Difference then fall to size, latch style, colour, handles etc. All are far superior to the old thin walled Coleman coolers.

As for the thermos...we have one of the coffee thermos and it retains the heat a long, long time. If you want to drink it soon after filling you need to have it colder. Wife used it on a road trip. Put boiling tea in it. Couldn’t drink it for two hours. Only then was it cool enough to drink.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-22-2020, 11:42 AM

As far as a smaller thermos, like a travel size, Costco sells the Contigo brand ones. I use them duck hunting and they always seem to work well, and keep coffee just as hot as my Yeti rambler. They're also indestructible, and mine have taken quite a beating.
Although, if you register the code on the bottom of your Yeti purchase, they give you free stickers, so that's pretty cool.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:39 PM

In my experience one of better ones is Hydroflask to keep drinks hot and in many instances too hot. These are a high end thermos and as expensive or more than Yeti. The quality of outdoor gear now is second to none.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Anyone have any experience with Whiterock Performance Gear? Looks like Yeti styled equipment, but they are out of Sherwood Park. It would be nice to support a local biz if the quality is there.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-23-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yeti pioneered the thick cooler. All are basically similar in injection mould technology for coolers. Difference then fall to size, latch style, colour, handles etc. All are far superior to the old thin walled Coleman coolers.

As for the thermos...we have one of the coffee thermos and it retains the heat a long, long time. If you want to drink it soon after filling you need to have it colder. Wife used it on a road trip. Put boiling tea in it. Couldn’t drink it for two hours. Only then was it cool enough to drink.
These are actually rotomoulded not injection molded. Almost anything hollow and/or large will be rotomoulded - that allows the insulation to be injected into the cavities and provide that performance.

That's what makes them so darn great at keeping stuff cold. Just like a house - the more insulation, the better they perform.

(true) Vacuum bottles are pretty darn cool too - used to be far more common.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:29 PM

So, I remembered this thread when I was reading the latest copy of Consumer Reports magazine. In it they tested travel mugs for length of time they kept stuff hot, ease of cleaning, spill proof and replaceable parts. The Yeti, despite being the most expensive scored in 4th place, heat retention of 4.5 hours and not leak proof. First place was Zojirushi, heat 13.5 hours, leak proof, second Thermos, heat 7.5 hours, leak proof, third Bubba Hero, heat 5.5 hours and leak proof. All three that beat the Yeti were 1/3 less cost. Once again, Yeti's advertising, marketing and peoples want to display the brand name means they get to charge 30% more for an inferior product. Pretty consistent with the tests of pretty much every type of Yeti product I have seen.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-13-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Thermos

Quote:
So, I remembered this thread when I was reading the latest copy of Consumer Reports magazine. In it they tested travel mugs for length of time they kept stuff hot, ease of cleaning, spill proof and replaceable parts. The Yeti, despite being the most expensive scored in 4th place, heat retention of 4.5 hours and not leak proof. First place was Zojirushi, heat 13.5 hours, leak proof, second Thermos, heat 7.5 hours, leak proof, third Bubba Hero, heat 5.5 hours and leak proof. All three that beat the Yeti were 1/3 less cost. Once again, Yeti's advertising, marketing and peoples want to display the brand name means they get to charge 30% more for an inferior product. Pretty consistent with the tests of pretty much every type of Yeti product I have seen.
I bought a pair of Zojirushi 20 oz Thermoses on Amazon back in Feb, 2016. I was a little reluctant to cough up $65 Cdn apiece for them but my research told me they were the best thermos around.

I remember the day they came in the mail I boiled water (100*C) & poured it into the thermoses & put them in the snowbank overnite (-16*C) on the deck. Twelve hours later I brought them back in the house & recorded a temperature of 86*C. I couldn't be more pleased with them, they keep fluids "HOT" for hours & hours. Nice to see that their price has come down since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zojirushi 600 ml Thermos, Feb,2016,b.jpg (44.2 KB, 42 views)