Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Lessons imparted on my 14 year old

Attachment 168857
I first penned this initial thread Lessons imparted on my 7 year old back on November 18, 2013. A lot of life has happened in this short time. As mothers and fathers who read this might lament, where did the time go? That initial story was about my Mule deer buck shot back home in Pincher Creek with my son. I really hoped he would want to enjoy this activity with dad and be better at it than me. I purchased a .243 hoping to allow him to use it, grow and learn from it. As it turned out, sports, friends & video games dominated his life and he showed no signs of going out with me except shooting gophers. The .243 was used for coyotes & badgers, I went out alone.
June 2019 my son passed his hunters training with our neighbours kids and now brought interest in hunting and spending more time out in the field. His first hunt was a cow elk in WMU 300A which was an unsubscribed tag we purchased. We passed a glorious chance on a yearling cow, Dad was concerned about crossing fence lines but the whole time was teaching, observing, listening and enjoying our time together in the field. He never complained with all the miles we put in, the early mornings but the experience stuck with him. He now wants to study elk as a future profession.
Later that November he harvested his first deer, a WT doe. I was so proud of him, 1 shot and you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. Spending time with 2 people we never hunted with before, there was teaching, observing and wisdom passed down to my son that was different from Dad's perspective. Thanks Troy!!
2020 he picked up the waterfowl bug from our neighbours. Now I was being taught as I have never hunted with a shotgun before. 2 ducks, 1 goose and a pheasant were his trophies this year and again other adults were passing down lessons & wisdom to him.
Our 2020 WT hunt was delayed due to trying to get Grandpa his bull moose. Using my 300WSM as his .243 had its scope scrambled, we saw some deer from our house. Through the spotting scope we noticed a decent buck so we hustled through pasture & creek bottoms and set up. He finally presented himself away from the does and little bucks and flat out missed. Another shot was not available so we watched him just to be sure he wasn't wounded and he slipped into the trees with his does and we quietly walked back home.
Exactly 7 years from my first thread, November 18, we went back early in the afternoon and settled into a patch of brush next to the treeline. Lessons again were taught to my son. The decision to change our entry point into the field due to the wind direction, not letting your snow pants scrape against each other. Walking on the balls of your feet probing for branches, crawling under fences and of course gun safety. We saw scrape lines, rubs and I tried my best to tell him what their purpose was.
After sitting down for 5 minutes, a fawn came out followed by 2 does and their fawns. My son said he saw another deer. Up came the binoculars again and there was a buck on the field edge looking the other way. I was shocked how quietly he presented himself, I am certain I had looked at the patch not 20 seconds earlier. I told my son, focus behind the shoulder and the 300WSM roared. I watched the buck drag his shoulder as he ran into the trees towards and my son turned around and quietly said "Dad, I got him!!".
Watching some of the "Pro Hunters" (Ha HA!) on tv and their botched shots and 12 hour recoveries, I told my kid lets just wait 10 minutes, give him time and we can go find him. I knew that buck was down but I just didn't want a possible wreck. I focused on finding the shot location and tracking the blood trail, my son looked into the trees and excitedly said its down. I don't remember hugging him but I was so happy for him and just enjoying his excitement. I remember that we did say a short prayer thanking Jesus for this opportunity, our health, this deer, a clean humane kill and of course our time together. Another lesson to him, give thanks for all things.
November 18, 2027 my son will be 21 years old and become a man. I hope that he will continue to enjoy this activity. That he will do it safely, ethically and that he will remember and utilize the lessons his father and all people who took time to show interest in him. If I am still alive, God willing, I am just as excited thinking about the adventures he can go on and hopefully update.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:41 PM

Good on you! These are the things we should be instilling in our children.

Thanks for the story, i can feel the excitement through your writing.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:17 AM

Congrats to your son and good on you for teaching him as he ventured out into the field! Hopefully you both enjoy many future hunts together.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Awesome story!