Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Old guy tip. Carrying your rifle.

As I got older, I found that being less flexible, I fumbled around a bit when trying to slide my rifle off my shoulder - especially when wearing bulkier (warmer) hunting clothes than I used to. This delay, noise and movement caused me to miss out on some shooting opportunities. I was certainly no longer a 'snap shooter'. And now, being a little more slope shouldered, to keep my rifle from always 'creeping' off its shoulder perch, I even tried sewing a large button up there to 'hold' the rifle sling in position a little better. I also found that with the rifle on my shoulder, it was snagging more overhead branches, as I don't duck and weave through the brush as flexibly as I used to. I also started carrying a bipod for steadier shots, which doubled as a walking stick as I'm not as steady over rough ground as I once was. But then holding my rifle in one hand and an aluminum bipod/walking staff in the other wasn't working too well either, plus - those items conduct the cold to your hands!

Luckily, I stumbled across the 'Safari Sling' a few years ago. This cross-body sling (like carrying a pouch) keeps your rifle slung in front of you - always in the 'ready' position, requiring far less time and movement to 'get on target'. It's easier to thread your way through brush, doesn't seem to weigh down your shoulder as much, frees up both of your hands (for using binoculars, stepping over logs, grabbing saplings to climb hills), you're not continually 'hitching up' a rifle slung on your shoulder, or catching it when it slips off. Your rifle action and scope is always right there, in front of you - making it much handier to check if you have a cartridge in the pipe, safeties position, and what magnification your scope is set to. (Us old guys like to double, & triple check these things...)

Downsides? - Well if you're not hunting alone, you need to watch your muzzle control more closely, as the rifle sits horizontally, pointed on an angle towards the front - perhaps where your partner might be. The slide/on/off rear stock attachment takes a little getting used to when mounting/dismounting your rifle. Putting the sling on/off over your head, instead of just on/off your shoulder, when crossing fences and such is a bit more of a production. (but then we know all about 'getting ready' productions - dentures, hearing aids, 2 pairs of glasses, morning pills etc). Don't eat with it on, or you'll drop crumbs all over your action! And - they're more of a simple military-looking thing - no heirloom, fine-tooled leather appeal! Fine for a synthetic rifle stock, -not so nice looking on a treasured wood one!

But on the whole, the Safari Sling has improved my hunting experience significantly. Mine's a 'Booney Packer', but I think other makers are available.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:30 PM

I have been down that route....My set up is pretty dialed now. When wearing a pack my gun is clipped right to the shoulder straps and can be shot while slung. When not wearing a pack my rifle is slung front low ready carry in a simple sling attachment setup that allows hands free carry and able to shoot without unslinging.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:33 PM

Looks like a great idea! Think I'll give one a shot.
Been hunting a lot of bush this year and really need something more efficient than a typical sling when my hands are needed elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM

Default I’m front carrying more and more.

I use a blue force gear vickers sling that I swap between rifles when I want to front carry.
With the vickers you can adjust the sling with a pull strap for a steady hold for off hand shooting.
Viking tactics also makes them.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:31 PM

Hey Thumper, I too am a big proponent of the Safari sling and have used one for as long as I can remember. It’s the only way to go in my mind when putting a ton of miles on out of the truck and I’ve converted a lot of friends over to using one. The warning about muzzle direction is a valid one because your rifle sits horizontal and as you spin around so does the direction the barrel is pointed.

I’ll give some advice that has worked well for me over the years but is nothing that most guys don’t already know; know which way the wind is blowing and keep it in your face. Sounds simple but most guys I’ve hunted with couldn’t tell you which way the wind is as blowing unless it was gale force. For 30 years I’ve taped a foot long piece of thread to the end of my barrel. With a safari sling the barrel is always where you can see it and at a glance you can tell what way the wind is blowing. As you mentioned, moving your rifle up to a shooting position is one fluid motion.

The only down-side to a Safari sling is that they are getting harder to find these days...

Old 11-24-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Hey Thumper, I too am a big proponent of the Safari sling and have used one for as long as I can remember. It’s the only way to go in my mind when putting a ton of miles on out of the truck and I’ve converted a lot of friends over to using one. The warning about muzzle direction is a valid one because your rifle sits horizontal and as you spin around so does the direction the barrel is pointed.

I’ll give some advice that has worked well for me over the years but is nothing that most guys don’t already know; know which way the wind is blowing and keep it in your face. Sounds simple but most guys I’ve hunted with couldn’t tell you which way the wind is as blowing unless it was gale force. For 30 years I’ve taped a foot long piece of thread to the end of my barrel. With a safari sling the barrel is always where you can see it and at a glance you can tell what way the wind is blowing. As you mentioned, moving your rifle up to a shooting position is one fluid motion.

The only down-side to a Safari sling is that they are getting harder to find these days...

I use a thread too, it’s short but enough to remind me that just because I have a gun doesn’t mean the wind isn’t a factor.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:58 PM

I'm a sensitive guy - but the upside of that is - I can feel the slightest wind direction on my cheeks. By slowly turning in a circle, I can always, accurately tell the wind direction! Weird, eh? As back-up, I put any little, fluffy owl feathers i find, in my cap. When in doubt, I pull one out and let it drift down.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Great thread. I have been having the same slipping issue myself and thought about the Safari sling but couldnt find one.

I did come across a sling clip that fastens to your pack strap that helps lock the regular sling in place. If i can find a pic i will try and post.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:05 PM

I am a big fan of the safari sling. I hunt with a relatively heavy rifle #5 barrel and can walk for hours and not feel like my shoulder is gonna fall out.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 PM

I bought a lighter rifle, makes a big diff.

Grizz
Old 11-24-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I bought a lighter rifle, makes a big diff.

Grizz
Can't do. I'm emotionally attached to my best friend; Sako ....
Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

I recommend a gym membership then. Held an 85 in wood stock a while back for the first time. Good gawd. I thought Model 70's were heavy.

I guess the positives being not needing sand bags at the range?
Old 11-25-2020, 08:21 AM

For me it's not as much the weight as it is speed. I hate having my rifle sliding off my shoulder constantly, but also find it super slow to get a shot off when starting on the shoulder. I tried all types of clips and such to address the slipping off the shoulder ( many of them work ) but the issue of being slow to get a shot off. I started out with a safaris sling about 15 years ago but always found it lacking in a few areas. 1 it never kept the gun in the same place (gun swings around from front to side pretty easy) also you need to carry the gun horizontal which means it sticks out on both sides of your body making it awkward getting through tight spots without swinging the gun around. It was close but not perfect. Then I found the gun bearer and thought it would be the perfect solver to the carry issues...it worked but I just didn't fall in love with having it under my arm an seemed to always fight the gun wanting to flop over scope down. Back to the drawing board...enter the Vickers sling. Military uses this type with their ar style weapons and the sling keeps the gun in place muzzle pointed in a safe direction always and is fast to bring to the shoulder. I also love the fact that while carrying the gun is never wider than your width so slipping between trees and brush is a cinch. My task was to figure out attachment points so the gun hung right side up and could be easily in attached. I came up with a few options that have worked great. Now my only issue was when wearing a pack. I use a pack with load lifters it's super awkward getting the sling over the top and still keep things usable..I decided to cut the sling in half and attach one section to each shoulder strap high up on the shoulder. Then clip the gun to the sections. The buttstock side is quite short to the the stock right around armpit height and the barrel side is longer allowing the gun to hand in the low ready position. Same as a std vickers sling simply lift the gun and shoot. One benefit is the gun pulling forward offsets the pack pulling rearward making your pack load very balanced. The nice thing about my system is at any point the rifle can be carried in traditional over the shoulder or across the back which is nice if your dragging a critter or driving a quad. I use the same attachment on all my guns for the front of the gun ( a uncle Mike's swivel cut and drilled with some 250lb cord pulled through and looped around for the sling to connect to) and several different buttstock attachment s such as loops sewn into the black elastic shell holders to Velcro on sling attachments to para cord loops ect. Can't seem to upload pics again....I can email or text if anyone is interested
Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 AM

If I don't have enough time to get my rifle off of my shoulder, then I probably don't have enough time to identify my target to my satisfaction. But if I did need my rifle more accessible, I could do what one of the goofs on a long range hunting show was doing, which was carrying his rifle using the scope as a handle.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I use a blue force gear vickers sling that I swap between rifles when I want to front carry.
With the vickers you can adjust the sling with a pull strap for a steady hold for off hand shooting.
Viking tactics also makes them.
I use the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling also. Carrying a sling over one shoulder is really nothing more than something that is severely lacking and just begging for improvement.

So I use the BFG Vickers, with the rifle slung in front of me for quick use, it cannot slide off and stays where it is put.

If I'm also carrying a large pack I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer that also allows carrying your rifle in front of you.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

Last edited by CNP; 11-25-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Mine too, but heavy as hell.

Grizz
Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I don't have enough time to get my rifle off of my shoulder, then I probably don't have enough time to identify my target to my satisfaction. But if I did need my rifle more accessible, I could do what one of the goofs on a long range hunting show was doing, which was carrying his rifle using the scope as a handle.
Your style of hunting is very different than mine. Thick bush calling, still hunting and tracking often require quick shots at fleeing critters. If hunting open prairie and fields your right you have lots of time. I still hate shoulder carry evening these scenarios. The other problem with shoulder carry in the thick stuff is the amount of snow, water,sticks and Crap that accumulates on the objective lense of your scope. Again any sort if cover just adds time when looking at a quick shot opportunity. Not everyone is slow at judging game or verifying identified targets.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Your style of hunting is very different than mine. Thick bush calling, still hunting and tracking often require quick shots at fleeing critters. If hunting open prairie and fields your right you have lots of time. I still hate shoulder carry evening these scenarios. The other problem with shoulder carry in the thick stuff is the amount of snow, water,sticks and Crap that accumulates on the objective lense of your scope. Again any sort if cover just adds time when looking at a quick shot opportunity. Not everyone is slow at judging game or verifying identified targets.
If I am still hunting, or tracking and animal, which I sometimes do,my rifle is in my hands, not on a sling. As for crap accumulating on my scope lens, I use flip up lens caps, so it isn't an issue.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
If I am still hunting, or tracking and animal, which I sometimes do,my rifle is in my hands, not on a sling. As for crap accumulating on my scope lens, I use flip up lens caps, so it isn't an issue.
flip caps are too slow for fast shots for me. While your flipping up your caps the deer will have buggered right off. Some guys prefer to carry their gun in hand I prefer to have my call or binos in my hand if anything. Otherwise empty hands so climbing over dead fall and such is easier. But I like my gun good and ready for those fast shot opportunities.
Another pro to the front ready is I can keep a round in the chamber but not drop the bolt. More often than not now in using a lever gun on half sick but when packing a bolt I can keep a round chambered but leave the bolt up. Being it's right under my nose I can keep checking it constantly and often walk with my thumb hooked over it to make sure it's open. Simply drop it just before lifting the rifle to shoulder. You can also keep track of your scope mag setting.
If you slip or trip it's tight to your body and won't fall off to get bashed or broken even if you fall forward you can usually stop your fall before the gun impacts. You also don't have a barrel sticking up above your head while ducking under branches.
It might not be everyone's choice but I find it works best for me
Old 11-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
That’s it in a nutshell. Some good ideas here and a guy just needs to try them out to see what works for his, or her, liking.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
flip caps are too slow for fast shots for me. While your flipping up your caps the deer will have buggered right off. Some guys prefer to carry their gun in hand I prefer to have my call or binos in my hand if anything. Otherwise empty hands so climbing over dead fall and such is easier. But I like my gun good and ready for those fast shot opportunities.
Another pro to the front ready is I can keep a round in the chamber but not drop the bolt. More often than not now in using a lever gun on half sick but when packing a bolt I can keep a round chambered but leave the bolt up. Being it's right under my nose I can keep checking it constantly and often walk with my thumb hooked over it to make sure it's open. Simply drop it just before lifting the rifle to shoulder. You can also keep track of your scope mag setting.
If you slip or trip it's tight to your body and won't fall off to get bashed or broken even if you fall forward you can usually stop your fall before the gun impacts. You also don't have a barrel sticking up above your head while ducking under branches.
I flip the covers up as I shoulder my gun, which takes NO extra time. It is the way these covers were designed to be used, and it works well if a person has even average coordination. If you open them improperly, by pulling each one open , before shouldering the rifle, instead of using your thumbs as you shoulder the rifle, then yes, it takes longer.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I flip the covers up as I shoulder my gun, which takes NO extra time. It is the way these covers were designed to be used, and it works well if a person has even average coordination. If you open them improperly, by pulling each one open , before shouldering the rifle, instead of using your thumbs as you shoulder the rifle, then yes, it takes longer.
Glad your coordinated enough to handle that task. I'd lay money down that no 3 gun comp guy would ever agree that it's" just as fast " no matter how you slice it flipping caps will never be as fast as not flipping caps. But I digress, this thread is about alternative sling carry not scope covers.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Glad your coordinated enough to handle that task. I'd lay money down that no 3 gun comp guy would ever agree that it's" just as fast " no matter how you slice it flipping caps will never be as fast as not flipping caps. But I digress, this thread is about alternative sling carry not scope covers.

Flip caps are a pain in the arse. Usually end up snapping the damn things right off. I can probably yank the neoprene bikini cover off my Leupolds faster and they give full scope protection against almost everything including dust and bumps.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Flip caps are a pain in the arse. Usually end up snapping the damn things right off. I can probably yank the neoprene bikini cover off my Leupolds faster and they give full scope protection against almost everything including dust and bumps.
I have been using them for over 30 years, with no issues.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I use scope shield covers on my scoped guns and do like the full coverage. But they are definitely slower than not having anything...most of the time my bush hunting is with irons so it's a mute pointthough
Old 11-27-2020, 10:35 AM

https://oleshandsfree.com/

A Old feller/client/friend of mine and his son developed this it works awesome.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
https://oleshandsfree.com/

A Old feller/client/friend of mine and his son developed this it works awesome.
Love it. I enjoy seeing how others adapt or build gear to address a need or desire. Looks like a very cool product
Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Default sling

i like the one Tom Cruse uses in the movie Oblivion
Old 11-27-2020, 12:15 PM

My preferred way of carrying my rifle as well. I like having both hands free for binos, GPS, etc.
The only issue i find, being a bit vertically challenged, is bending over. I like the muzzle pointed a bit below horizontal, so sometimes when i bend over, the muzzle hits the ground/snow and has plugged up on me. I now put a piece of tape over the muzzle to help keep it clean.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
My preferred way of carrying my rifle as well. I like having both hands free for binos, GPS, etc.
The only issue i find, being a bit vertically challenged, is bending over. I like the muzzle pointed a bit below horizontal, so sometimes when i bend over, the muzzle hits the ground/snow and has plugged up on me. I now put a piece of tape over the muzzle to help keep it clean.
I am short to 5-6" which is why I love 16-20" carbines . I try to set up so they are no lower than my knee cap when standing. I also always cover the muzzle with electrical tape for safety sake