Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Banned

Default Opinions on bush guns

Been eyeing a 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel and a marlin 1895 GBL (45-70)

Just wanted to ask your guys' opinions on which one is preferable.

Hunting range for the bush gun is less than 100 yard shot.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 06:14 PM

My vote goes to the marlin hands down
Old 11-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Marlin.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Marlin
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 PM

IMO your bush rifle should be the one you are most comfortable with... so whatever you pick for hunting bush should also be able to cover the majority of your other hunting needs as well.

That may not be the most popular view... but when shot opportunities are measured in heartbeats, there is absolutely no feature that is more important in a rifle than familiarity.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
IMO your bush rifle should be the one you are most comfortable with... so whatever you pick for hunting bush should also be able to cover the majority of your other hunting needs as well.

That may not be the most popular view... but when shot opportunities are measured in heartbeats, there is absolutely no feature that is more important in a rifle than familiarity.

I actually like this thought. I have a 7RM that I love; but I’m not sure how it would be as a bush gun. 24inch barrel is the drawback I’m thinking.

So I was thinking maybe I’d go 7-08? Something that would perform in the open as well if I saw the opportunity? I’m just contemplating what I do would for optics. It would need to be very low power since the shots in the bush are well... close.

I’m in no hurry just trying to learn before I make a move. I will probably take my current rifle for a spin next season and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2020, 07:12 PM

I have my 46 year old Marlin 30/30 as a goto rifle. I just bought a Henry 45/70 so I'm looking forward to using it. If it works well then I'll get the 30/30 Henry. I can't find one though. so it's on the to get list.
But as far as the 30/30, it will do anything and it is very familiar as a point and shoot rifle.
Tullfan
Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 PM

I would also do the Marlin. But I would choose it in an 1894 in .44mag. Still a bear killer, but a lot less umph.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I actually like this thought. I have a 7RM that I love; but I’m not sure how it would be as a bush gun. 24inch barrel is the drawback I’m thinking.

So I was thinking maybe I’d go 7-08? Something that would perform in the open as well if I saw the opportunity? I’m just contemplating what I do would for optics. It would need to be very low power since the shots in the bush are well... close.

I’m in no hurry just trying to learn before I make a move. I will probably take my current rifle for a spin next season and see how it goes.

Personally, what I feel makes for a good all around gun that does well in the bush are as follows.

-Under 8 lbs trailside
-barrel no more than 22"
-a scope that can get you down to at least 2x
-in a non magnum round of .260 or bigger

That said, I've hunted with rifles that were outside of those guidelines and they worked too. About the only thing I'm really sticky about is the scope, there are others that feel differently but IMO the best way to make a rifle useless in the bush is to put too much glass on it. If your 7mm doesnt have too much glass on it, and you shoot it well, it will probably be the best bush gun for you.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:03 PM

My bush rig is a JM Marlin 1895 guide gun wearing a Leupold 2-7x33 Ultimate Slam scope. I shoot 350 Hornady pills loaded down to 1780-1800 fps and the SABR reticle has hash marks that work very well out to 300 yards.

Weighs 8 lbs all up, 18" barrel, lots of jam for bear and large game situations, can stretch it a bit using the reticle. I think it's a great set up.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:04 PM

Contrary to popular belief a 45/70 doesn't plow through trees and kill animals standing behind them . Big bullet. Limited range, bush or no, and def not shoulder friendly.

Nobody asked what you're hunting either. I'll assume its moose and the big bears.

IMO 45/70 is what I'd want to be holding if I've got one shot at close range to save me being mauled. Actually it'd be a 12 gauge but I digress. Lots of nice carbines available in a lot friendlier chamberings that still get the job done.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:04 PM

My Ruger single shot is 8.5 pounds with the 1.5-4X Leupold on it.
Barrel is 24.5"
overall length is 42.5"
This gun is lightning quick in dense bush and can handle 300 meters no problem for open shots.
It was built to my specs and fits me perfectly .

Cat
Old 11-22-2020, 08:20 PM

I think a zastava in 9.3x62 would be a neat Bush gun. Leave it open sights. 286 grain bullet at 2400 would definitely leave a blood trail behind anything that doesn’t drop on the spot. And for $700 new it’s a great price.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:02 AM

no knock on the 45-70, but what's wrong with the 30-30, 32 special, 35 remington choices? A little lighter and in the winchester 94, very nice to carry. Weight is around 6 lbs.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonEli View Post
Been eyeing a 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel and a marlin 1895 GBL (45-70)

Just wanted to ask your guys' opinions on which one is preferable.

Hunting range for the bush gun is less than 100 yard shot.

Thanks
Well it depends on your budget, what you want to do to....for instance if you bought a shotgun with a rifled barrel smooth barrel combo then you can go big game hunting, take off the barrel and put the other on and go bird hunting etc too....much more versatility that way....I knew a lot of people who went that route at first due to money restraints or just new to a sport and was not sure if they would like it...after that you can expand....just a thought....good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2020, 07:05 AM

I have gone down this road a few times looking for “the one” I just can’t seem to love a lever gun enough to make it work.

I switched it up recently, and picked up a Tikka in 338 federal. I have used a number of bolt guns before, but the federal has something special about it for this sort of stuff. It also fits the description above very well.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:05 AM

Personally, Marlin
Old 11-23-2020, 08:30 AM

I do love 12 gauge slugs. Especially the brenneke slugs. Those can be shot through a smooth bore so no need to go rifled. This means just buy the right ammo and your smooth bore shotgun will suffice , with practice out to 75 yards.
Now that isn’t my official answer. That was just a tip
My Official answer is marlin 45-70. Low powered optic or open sights if you like. 45-70 hand loaded with 300grains or more at modern pressures is noting to sneeze at. Easy 200 yard gun with an accurate load.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:55 AM

No cartridge can be relied on the shoot through brush and hit what your are shooting at, thus "Bush Gun" is a relative term. If by that you mean a fast handling rifle there are a ton of choices, the two you asked about work fine. But so does a 20" barrelled BLR in 308, a Ruger Guide Rifle, any number of factory made short bolt actions, pump and semi auto rifles etc. I would focus more on the handling characteristics and from that you will find a ton of choices.

While most shots my be limited to less than 100 yards I see no upside to handicapping yourself. A 45-70 is good to 300 whereas a shotgun you are pretty much limited to 100 max, which sucks if you find something on a power line. As to the comments about the kick on a 45-70, it is no worse than a 12 gauge and keeping a 350 grain bullet at 16-1700 fps makes a nice soft shooting load that kills just as fast as loading it to 2200 fps. More speed does not improve the performance of large bore rifles. A 308 or 375 Ruger is easier to shoot to 400 yards than a 45-70.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:20 AM

I use my grandfather's (passed down to me) 1964 winchester model 88 in .308. Very light and short barrel.

3-9 scope on it. Kicks like a mule with original recoil pad on it. Cool ass gun and perfect in the brush
Old 11-23-2020, 09:36 AM

I have two a JM stamped 444 Marlin and a 30 odd 6 carbine Ruger like the ruger's weight better than the Marlins both good Bush guns.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Banned

450 bushmaster with accutips and be done with it.
Love mine in the Ruger American ranch
Old 11-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well it depends on your budget, what you want to do to....for instance if you bought a shotgun with a rifled barrel smooth barrel combo then you can go big game hunting, take off the barrel and put the other on and go bird hunting etc too....much more versatility that way....I knew a lot of people who went that route at first due to money restraints or just new to a sport and was not sure if they would like it...after that you can expand....just a thought....good luck.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12376...-shotgun-combo

Something like this might suit your fancy....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2020, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=270person;4273266]Contrary to popular belief a 45/70 doesn't plow through trees and kill animals standing behind them . Big bullet. Limited range, bush or no, and def not shoulder friendly.

Read an article years ago where the experiment showed all bullets will deflect but higher speed/faster spinning deflected slightly less.
So a 270 would trump a 45-70 but not by by much anyways.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;4273919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Contrary to popular belief a 45/70 doesn't plow through trees and kill animals standing behind them . Big bullet. Limited range, bush or no, and def not shoulder friendly.

Read an article years ago where the experiment showed all bullets will deflect but higher speed/faster spinning deflected slightly less.
So a 270 would trump a 45-70 but not by by much anyways.
I read the same or similar article, and it regarded sectional density as the trump card for penetration vs deflection. So while all projectiles can be deflected the higher the sectional density the higher the likelihood it will continue on its original path.

I like barrels 22” or shorter in the bush and am very fond of my Battue (308) and my little Montana (7-08) for weaving through the thick stuff and still good to go on a cutline if the shot stretches out.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:31 AM

Rem Mohawk in 308....
Well, a Mohawk in any caliber IMO is the only way to go

Old 11-24-2020, 04:49 AM

I like this one, Model 600 6.5 REM Mag.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 AM

I’m a bush guy. Love it. I’m still working on iterations. I had a marlin 45-70 with the ghost ring on it. I tried the scout scope concept and dumped that for the ghosts pretty quick (caveat - ex military and trained on ironsights so i love them). I experienced some remlinutus, fixed it but the love was lost. Bought a henry 45-70. Haven’t hunted it yet. Has the fiber sights, looks great but probably going to put the ranger point precision cloverleaf fiberoptic ghost ring on it.

However i wound up picking up a ruger gunsight scout off the forum here. It has the ghost ring already. Adjustable stock. And my old original scout scope works well for it. As in “I get it” well. You can cycles the bolt without breaking cheek weld. 3 round or 5 round polymer mags are available.

I love the 45-70. Hands down my cheapest centerfire to shoot. I cast my own bullets. I use about 13 or 14 grains of unique or RL7. That gives me about 500 rounds per pound of powder, fps range is low, but still deep penetration or plinking. Or, plink and practice with those, and shoot higher power cast for hunting. Oh. And zero meat wasteage.

Personal belief here. Others can chime in. Long stocks and long barrels are the devils work for a bush gun. You are looking for very fast to shoulder, very good pointing, and very fast target acquisition. This is why i love the ghost rings. I favour shorter stocks (I am short, but i tend to go just a little shorter for bush guns). There isn’t any point practicing with them on a bench imho after getting them on paper. Practice in the style you will be using them. Benches encourage longer stocks than the field does. Again, my opinion.

I should mention I was saving for a semi with field adjustable stock when our lovely prime minister decided they weren’t suitable for hunting, based on his lifetime of experience hunting. 🙄. I was planning on using it for an all rounder. The adjustable stock was part of that. The self loading and therefore no loss of cheek weld was another part. In my mind it would be a do it all out to 300 or 400 with careful optics selection.

And then I also like Cat’s ideas. Lol.

Last edited by Iron Brew; 11-24-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=Homesteader;4273985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post

I read the same or similar article, and it regarded sectional density as the trump card for penetration vs deflection. So while all projectiles can be deflected the higher the sectional density the higher the likelihood it will continue on its original path.

I like barrels 22” or shorter in the bush and am very fond of my Battue (308) and my little Montana (7-08) for weaving through the thick stuff and still good to go on a cutline if the shot stretches out.
I remember reading a similar article, the finding of the writer, at least in the one I read, was that the 6.5x55 shooting a 160 grain bullet at around 2500 fps was about as good as it got. Significantly better than allot of traditional bush caliber.

Either way, the trick is to not hit any sticks.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=Bushleague;4274350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post

I remember reading a similar article, the finding of the writer, at least in the one I read, was that the 6.5x55 shooting a 160 grain bullet at around 2500 fps was about as good as it got. Significantly better than allot of traditional bush calibers.
That wasn't by chance Francis Sell's article was it?
Cat