Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Attachment 167069

Got my bull last week at 44 yards.
He only walked 25 yards before going down.
Very happy!

S12

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM

Congrats Shooter12, great to see success.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Very happy to have taken bull this past weekend. Extremely tough pack out, but 2 of us got it done in 2 trips. Almost 4 hours in the dark, from the Elk to the truck, with the first load. A little over 2 hours in and 2 plus hours out, with the second. The first load almost killed us, but much easier the next day, in the daylight, with the 2nd.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Attachment 167069

Got my bull last week at 44 yards.
He only walked 25 yards before going down.
Very happy!

S12
Well done.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Default pretty sure I'm lost...

Uhhh hi...
Couldn't help noticing the incredible pictures sent in and the amazing kills made. All of them and the marksman and women are extremely impressive... and equally intimidating...
OK...
Here it goes. Big breath in... hold it... mentally prepared to absorb the backlash... and exhale...
K go!... sorry but I couldn't help noticing a small detail in almost every picture. It seems that a vast majority of you appeared to be using a bow to make your truly impressive kills. So can I assume that this may not be the place to talk about my crossbow? Could I also assume that there might be an alternative thread I should be looking for? Concurrently I should be breathing the same air as you gifted snipers?...
K bring it. I'm ready...
Old 09-22-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Just start Your own Thread

Just start a new thread with your questions and you'll get answers. Welcome back?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:35 PM

Default 1 heck of a way to finally accomplish a near 6 year venture

After hiking 38 kms last Monday and Tuesday combined, I needed to take Wednesday off. Thursday morning before 5am I hiked solo about 5km back into a spot I had found two days prior on public land. It had plenty of fresh elk and deer sign, but I couldn’t find or hear any elk to save my life... or deer for that matter. An hour later and about 3km into the hike, I rested and let out my first calls of the morning. Then finally, I had a returned bugle way off in the darkness, about 2 kilometres to my south east. I made my way in the direction of the bugling bull, calling every few hundred meters, and each time getting a reply. I could tell the bull was moving locations as well, getting closer and getting more and more fired up with each bugle he sent back to me. I finally made it to a good ambush spot, with daylight just starting to break. The west wind finally in my favour slightly as the bull was directly south of me. I dropped my pack as I heard the bull raking a tree only about 100 meters away. I cow chirped a few times then booted it about 50 meters straight towards him. I hunkered down 7 meters east of the trail I anticipated him coming down, just as I lay eyes on him for the first time. He was coming in on a string, and really fired up at this point. We just spent an hour closing the roughly 2 kilometre distance that separated us when we first bugled at one another. There was a thin layer of trees and brush between us, that I could hardly see through let alone shoot through. Once he finished thrashing a tree straight south of me, he made his way north west and turned the corner heading straight north up the trail I was kneeling beside. I knew he’d be passing by me very very closely. As his eyes passed by the last large poplar tree between us, I drew back my bow and held. We then made eye contact, but he kept on strutting past me confidently. I was wide open, and had to slowly turn as he walked, with my pins set behind his front shoulder. He was quartering to me too drastically for an ethical shot. His eyes fixated on me, but he kept coming not slowing stride one bit. Finally once the angle was safe enough for a shot, I punched an arrow into him at a mere 7 meters! He stutter stepped hard to his left veering away from me and off the trail into the trees. I bugled at him quick and he stopped abruptly, only 40 meters from me. A few seconds of silence, then I felt in my legs as his large body crashed down to the ground. He was down!! He quickly expired within moments, as I sat there in complete euphoria. The rush overcoming me entirely. I had spent the last 6 years chasing elk with my bow, learning a plethora of knowledge each season yet never getting a fair shot opportunity on a bull elk. They are by far the most exciting animal to chase with a bow, especially during the rut. And here I was, still lost in the moment after drilling one at 7 meters! Coolest hunt of my life thus far.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:41 PM

That's a dandy bull! You'll remember that forever, good story.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-22-2020, 02:28 PM

That’s awesome, congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Very happy to have taken bull this past weekend. Extremely tough pack out, but 2 of us got it done in 2 trips. Almost 4 hours in the dark, from the Elk to the truck, with the first load. A little over 2 hours in and 2 plus hours out, with the second. The first load almost killed us, but much easier the next day, in the daylight, with the 2nd.

Congrats Darren!

Old 09-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Well done. And thanks for the story and pics.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
My 2020 speed goat
Great goat!!😎
Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 PM

What a story and what an elk, DEG! Amazing. Thanks for sharing.
One day I might get an elk...
Old 09-25-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
After hiking 38 kms last Monday and Tuesday combined, I needed to take Wednesday off. Thursday morning before 5am I hiked solo about 5km back into a spot I had found two days prior on public land. It had plenty of fresh elk and deer sign, but I couldn’t find or hear any elk to save my life... or deer for that matter. An hour later and about 3km into the hike, I rested and let out my first calls of the morning. Then finally, I had a returned bugle way off in the darkness, about 2 kilometres to my south east. I made my way in the direction of the bugling bull, calling every few hundred meters, and each time getting a reply. I could tell the bull was moving locations as well, getting closer and getting more and more fired up with each bugle he sent back to me. I finally made it to a good ambush spot, with daylight just starting to break. The west wind finally in my favour slightly as the bull was directly south of me. I dropped my pack as I heard the bull raking a tree only about 100 meters away. I cow chirped a few times then booted it about 50 meters straight towards him. I hunkered down 7 meters east of the trail I anticipated him coming down, just as I lay eyes on him for the first time. He was coming in on a string, and really fired up at this point. We just spent an hour closing the roughly 2 kilometre distance that separated us when we first bugled at one another. There was a thin layer of trees and brush between us, that I could hardly see through let alone shoot through. Once he finished thrashing a tree straight south of me, he made his way north west and turned the corner heading straight north up the trail I was kneeling beside. I knew he’d be passing by me very very closely. As his eyes passed by the last large poplar tree between us, I drew back my bow and held. We then made eye contact, but he kept on strutting past me confidently. I was wide open, and had to slowly turn as he walked, with my pins set behind his front shoulder. He was quartering to me too drastically for an ethical shot. His eyes fixated on me, but he kept coming not slowing stride one bit. Finally once the angle was safe enough for a shot, I punched an arrow into him at a mere 7 meters! He stutter stepped hard to his left veering away from me and off the trail into the trees. I bugled at him quick and he stopped abruptly, only 40 meters from me. A few seconds of silence, then I felt in my legs as his large body crashed down to the ground. He was down!! He quickly expired within moments, as I sat there in complete euphoria. The rush overcoming me entirely. I had spent the last 6 years chasing elk with my bow, learning a plethora of knowledge each season yet never getting a fair shot opportunity on a bull elk. They are by far the most exciting animal to chase with a bow, especially during the rut. And here I was, still lost in the moment after drilling one at 7 meters! Coolest hunt of my life thus far.

Congrats! Great write up, almost like I was there. That’s why we hunt! Enjoy the table fare...

Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Speed goat

Filled my tag 3rd last day. Fun hunt. I missed some crankers.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 PM

Default 6x6

Archery elk at 10yds screaming. Solo hunt.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM

Some nice animals hitting the dirt congrats to all!
Old 09-26-2020, 04:21 AM

So far its been an awesome season by the looks of things! I’m sure there’s been lots of success that hasn’t hit the page yet too. Congrats to all! Keep on posting, we all like to share in the experience
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 AM

Got my speed goat!!Attachment 167370Attachment 167371

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
We got to the bottom of a valley @ 10AM. Hopped up 100 yards and bugled. Instant response! I could see 6 cows 75 yards out, and my partner saw the bull trailing them. It appeared they were headed up mountain to a patch of dark timber we knew they used as a bedding area.

They were on the move so we kept moving 100 yards and bugling, and he would also bugle back, always moving away. We played this until 1:30 and as we were nearing the dark timber we sat down, and let him and his cows bed as I knew he wouldn't leave them until they were settled.

2:30 we crept into a small opening 100 yards away from the dark timber. I could see cows bedded and I screamed a bugle at him. Instant response and I cut him off with a challenge bugle. In the meantime two calves came into the opening and I was able to chirp with them for 5 minutes and was full draw on one, but didn't shoot.

The bull then bugled again and didn't appear to have left his bed. I screamed a bugle and raked a tree while one of the calves was staring at me 30 yards away. I looked down and saw the bull coming.

He came to the edge of the opening 27 yards from us and raked a tree for 5 minutes (seemed much longer!). He stepped sideways and bugled straight at us!!

The calves were still in the opening and the moved down slope, and I was worried the bull would follow, but he took another step behind a tree and I drew back. One more step and he would be broadside at 25 yards. Takes the step, try to stop him, but he took one more.

I had an opening of 3" to get the arrow through. I talked myself out of the shot and back into it and let it go. 4:00PM

He ran down 40 yards and the rest is history and sore feet!

Well done
Old 09-27-2020, 01:48 PM

First ever harvest with a bow yesterday morning, pretty pumped to fill the freezer with some good meat!

Got up in my saddle in some timber with a view of a cut block, on a trail that showed some promise on my camera - within 20 minutes I could see half a dozen does and a beauty buck wander past/feeding from my right to left at about 90 yards.

After about an hour they were out of sight and I thought “dang, guess they’re not interested in this trail”

On a bit of a whim I thought I’d let a few doe in distress calls go (even though I thought it was too early in the season) - so I let 2 bleats go, and sure as heck about five does started bounding back in toward me, before I could even grab my bow. It actually looked ridiculous, never seen anything like it. It was like they were all thinking “hey who did we leave behind back there???”.

Knowing I’d soon have many eyes, ears and noses underneath me, I focused on the doe in the front of the group, and drew my bow back with plenty of time to not get busted (learned that lesson the hard way many times!).

She crossed the trail at 25 yards and stopped perfectly broadside for a second too long - thwack!! Double lung, full pass through, the grim reaper seemed to do it’s job as well.

I knew the shot was good right away, but there’s always doubts. The other does scattered a little bit out of fright from the sound - she ran 10 yards, stopped, and then tried to run toward the others before her front legs game out and she piled up 50 yards from my tree.

The other deer had no idea I was even there and didn’t take off until I was back on the ground packing up my sticks and making a ruckus.

After a quick cleanup and a couple mile walk back to the truck that was a wrap on my first archery harvest. It’s sure nice when all of the little things come together in your favour. Being a supplemental tag I still get to take a crack at a buck as well!

‘Hope you guys enjoyed the story, I know that’s my favourite part of the posts on this thread.

J

Last edited by muirsy; 09-27-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

Nice elk! You and I seem to be shooting the same bow...
Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Nice goat Canadianmade
Old 09-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Default 2020 Antelope

Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 AM

Had a pretty good day. My 78 year old grandfather got the biggest 5x5 I've ever personally seen and a friend got his first archery animal ever. Bulls died 60 yards apart

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
Nice goat Canadianmade
Thanks!

It was probably the most fun I have had on a hunt in a long time and the absolute most frustrated I have been hunting... ever!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM

That is awesome your grandfather is still bowhunting at 78!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM

Another beauty goat depopulator! Some awesome animals and experiences shared so far!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Had a pretty good day. My 78 year old grandfather got the biggest 5x5 I've ever personally seen and a friend got his first archery animal ever. Bulls died 60 yards apart

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Awesome photo!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:26 PM

I like this photo KyleSS!

S12