Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 08:44 AM
Suspended User

Default Degrees of separation from the vulnerable

Just wondering how many steps are you from the people vulnerable to Covid. My family has no buffer to seniors, as my wife works in senior care. If it gets in our home, it can get into a residence of over a hundred.

I know some seem to think lowly of people who are concerned about catching this, but facts greatly out weigh opinion. The ones who expect us to believe that their opinions are more important than facts don't matter. All they sound like are the cattle at auction time. Moooo. Moooo.

It takes 35 people a day to do the care(plus kitchen and housekeeping) for our one senior's facility, and a large number of those are parents. I don't think people realize how many people have constant contact with the elderly, and put them at risk. Not purposefully, but from simple community contact.

If you intend on making cow sounds about the possibility of contacting the virus, just shut up. No one needs to have more of that. You have already proven yourself elsewhere. The corporation my wife works for has already lost dozens in the name of making a profit. Your lack of empathy for seniors and their families will hopefully bite you in the ass eventually.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Just wondering how many steps are you from the people vulnerable to Covid. My family has no buffer to seniors, as my wife works in senior care. If it gets in our home, it can get into a residence of over a hundred.

I know some seem to think lowly of people who are concerned about catching this, but facts greatly out weigh opinion. The ones who expect us to believe that their opinions are more important than facts don't matter. All they sound like are the cattle at auction time. Moooo. Moooo.

It takes 35 people a day to do the care(plus kitchen and housekeeping) for our one senior's facility, and a large number of those are parents. I don't think people realize how many people have constant contact with the elderly, and put them at risk. Not purposefully, but from simple community contact.

If you intend on making cow sounds about the possibility of contacting the virus, just shut up. No one needs to have more of that. You have already proven yourself elsewhere. The corporation my wife works for has already lost dozens in the name of making a profit. Your lack of empathy for seniors and their families will hopefully bite you in the ass eventually.
Your post sounds more like a judgment then a question. If.you are around seniors then take extra care. I dont understand what more there is?
Old 11-22-2020, 08:53 AM

It’s a thought provoking question you ask. One to think about. But why you need to ask it with such vitriol and accusation before anyone even replied, proves you are here for the reaction, not the discussion.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Your post sounds more like a judgment then a question. If.you are around seniors then take extra care. I dont understand what more there is?
Beat me to it
Old 11-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Almost all of us view this situation through the lens of our experience. That is why they young and those living in small towns on this board are the most vocal about being against precautions. Through the lens that they are looking it is not that big a deal. For the OP things hit a lot closer to home, because of the job situation. Nurses that work in ICU have a different perspective than other nurses. If we were all a little more tolerant and realize that everyone's personal experience and perspective is a little different there would not be people insulting each other and at each others throat's. As our PM (puke) would say, we all experience things a little differently.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Another one cracks under the pressure.

I think a large portion of us are dealing with having our parents bear the brunt of social ignorance. Be strong, your family needs it.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Almost all of us view this situation through the lens of our experience. That is why they young and those living in small towns on this board are the most vocal about being against precautions. Through the lens that they are looking it is not that big a deal. For the OP things hit a lot closer to home, because of the job situation. Nurses that work in ICU have a different perspective than other nurses. If we were all a little more tolerant and realize that everyone's personal experience and perspective is a little different there would not be people insulting each other and at each others throat's. As our PM (puke) would say, we all experience things a little differently.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Dodger.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I know some seem to think lowly of people who are concerned about catching this, but facts greatly out weigh opinion.
Not sure I know anyone that thinks that, but people are allowed their opinions.
I personally have 2 people in my life that really shouldn't get this virus. I am careful for them and around them.

HOWEVER, I also understand that some people don't have anyone vulnerable around them and therefore, do not expect them to take the same precautions I do.

Your level of required cautiousness may not be mine, and vice versa.
Understanding on both sides could go a long way.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I personally have 2 people in my life that really shouldn't get this virus. I am careful for them and around them.

HOWEVER, I also understand that some people don't have anyone vulnerable around them and therefore, do not expect them to take the same precautions I do.

there should not be 2 sides, just because a person does not have anybody vulnerable around them does not mean they should be less cautious. It's the people they come in contact with that may have people vulnerable around them that they need to think about. It's not just about your own situation, its about our collective situation.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:33 AM

Degree of separation from the vulnerable for us?

One.

MIL in assisted care, and in the ~6 months she has been there, she has been in forced isolation 5 times. 1 when she arrived, 3 for covid scares, 1 for respitory illness going through the building.

Trouble is as I see it though, it is recycled air, the food is handled and delivered by people, are they properly proitected?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-22-2020, 11:33 AM

Put this in the new Politics Superthread. That's where all the nasty threads belong now.

And yes, anything Covid is by definition Politics at this point.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

You really don’t get it. The person who has no immediate concerns...who has no need to take precautions...contracts Covid and before becoming symptomatic passes it to a co-worker whose spouse works in a seniors facility.
There ya go!
Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
You really don’t get it. The person who has no immediate concerns...who has no need to take precautions...contracts Covid and before becoming symptomatic passes it to a co-worker whose spouse works in a seniors facility.
There ya go!
So, all by yourself, you've determined that asymptomatic people can spread the virus?
Wow, experts all over the world haven't been able to prove this yet.
You should be on Tam's speed dial list.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
you really don’t get it. The person who has no immediate concerns...who has no need to take precautions...contracts covid and before becoming symptomatic passes it to a co-worker whose spouse works in a seniors facility.
There ya go!
bingo!!!
Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
there should not be 2 sides, just because a person does not have anybody vulnerable around them does not mean they should be less cautious. It's the people they come in contact with that may have people vulnerable around them that they need to think about. It's not just about your own situation, its about our collective situation.
Why is it up to anyone else to protect me and mine?

Remember, I'm not immune here, but I'm also not delusional.

I posted this a long time ago, but I'll repeat myself this time.
I think a lot of people in society are dumb. Sorry, but I do.
So why in God's name would I rely on the general public to keep the virus away from me?
How could I with any real expectation?
If I did, then I would be dumb too.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

So why in God's name would I rely on the general public to keep the virus away from me?
Maybe you are!
Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So, all by yourself, you've determined that asymptomatic people can spread the virus?
Wow, experts all over the world haven't been able to prove this yet.
You should be on Tam's speed dial list.
really?

Even people who are truly asymptomatic are able to spread the virus. Experts say it's critical to continue practicing good hygiene, physical distancing, and mask-wearing to reduce the spread of the virus.Sep 22, 2020

1 in 5 COVID-19 Cases Are Asymptomatic but Can Spread the ...www.healthline.com › health-news

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=A...sclient=psy-ab

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are!
Age your feelings hurt because I've pointed out some ridiculous things that you've posted and called you out as an anti-outdoorsmen troll?

Only thing that makes sense for such a childish remark.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
really?

Even people who are truly asymptomatic are able to spread the virus. Experts say it's critical to continue practicing good hygiene, physical distancing, and mask-wearing to reduce the spread of the virus.Sep 22, 2020

1 in 5 COVID-19 Cases Are Asymptomatic but Can Spread the ...www.healthline.com › health-news

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=A...sclient=psy-ab
Ken,

We could go back and forth for days posting contradicting articles. There's proof on both sides.
But at the end of the day we each must be responsible for our own.
I treat everyone as if they're infected. Period.
I don't care if they have a mask on or not.

If everyone that got sick stayed home, we'd be way better off.
And if everyone that is not sick treated everyone else as if they were, we'd be better off still.

Expecting total strangers to keep us virus free led us to where we are.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Just wondering how many steps are you from the people vulnerable to Covid.

My family has no buffer to seniors, as my wife works in senior care.
If it gets in our home, it can get into a residence of over a hundred.

That sounds very uncaring.
Your family is one step away from infecting the vulnerable and you have not self imposed a buffer?
Live what you preach.

And she still works with the Corporation that prizes profit over life?

Have you told your wife how you really feel about her actions?

Mirrors suck some days.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-22-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Different demograph, but the ones I see complaining constantly are Lloydminster renters of all ages and hard core religious christian believers/followers- whatever the correct term is. I don't think cultist is the correct terminology, although the definition is the same I believe.
The apartment dwellers are mad all the time, and very vocal about freedom being lost, 'first steps to communism happening now'.
The sunday group openly condemn anyone that does not believe it is all a scam, there is no sickness, and the world is only 4000 years old.
Open forums such as facebook show this all the time.

I agree with your fighting statement, people are losing their cool and showing different sides way too frequently.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:

It is not up to anyone else to protect you, thats not what I said. It is up to you to protect yourself from everyone, and it is up to you to protect everyone else from you. If we all did that there wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well said pikergolf!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
Also well said!

Old 11-22-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Put this in the new Politics Superthread. That's where all the nasty threads belong now.

And yes, anything Covid is by definition Politics at this point.

OK. Now it just sounds like you are a little bit butt hurt over this.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Age your feelings hurt because I've pointed out some ridiculous things that you've posted and called you out as an anti-outdoorsmen troll?

Only thing that makes sense for such a childish remark.
You are so funny!
Too bad your brand of humour puts others lives at risk.
You can ‘call me out’ however you like... as an adult crap like that doesn’t bother me... you should try it.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 11-22-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Little bit butt hurt.

Sounds like a 2020 country song. Maybe goth emo.... I can see some of the younger new singers adding it to their 'anxiety reportoire'

Old 11-22-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Little bit butt hurt.

Sounds like a 2020 country song. Maybe goth emo.... I can see some of the younger new singers adding it to their 'anxiety reportoire'
lol, yup, makins fer a good song

Old 11-22-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Really? That's an interesting but inaccurate take on it. But it is consistent with every Covid thread we have had. Lots of name calling, accusations, pejorative and juvenile comments, and generally being ignorant. Like political threads.

And since something was mentioned earlier about hard core Christian (cultists) in a derogatory way, it's worth mentioning that cults are not all religious in nature. There is the Cult of climate change for instance, the Cult of Intersectionality, and the more recent Cult of Covid 19 as well as many others.

https://www.unz.com/chopkins/the-covidian-cult/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-22-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Little bit butt hurt.

Must be after a stint in the clink, I can't think of any other way to have it hurt a little.