Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 11:46 AM

Default Anyone get a dog from UGD?

Looking for advice on any hunting dog breeders in Alberta. Looking specifically for a lab.

Anyone have past experiences with UGD?
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Check out Windy Ridge Kennels in Raymond We got our pup from there this spring. He raises fox red coloured pointing labs

Pointinglabs.ca
Old 11-24-2020, 07:22 PM

A friend of mine has 2 labs from UGD. They are good gun dogs, he does waterfowl and upland. My daughter just purchased one from UGD, still a puppy, a nice looking dog, the retrieving instinct is strong.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 PM

Club Mead Labradors. Awesome dogs, working lines only, awesome people.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyhre View Post
Looking for advice on any hunting dog breeders in Alberta. Looking specifically for a lab.

Anyone have past experiences with UGD?
If at least half the dogs in the pedigree aren't field titled, I would keep on looking, and it doesn't matter who the breeders are. The best way to maximize your odds of getting a dog with the potential to be a fantastic hunting dog is to buy one from a long line of fantastic hunting dogs. The proof is in field titles. The rest is subjective peeing in the wind. Sure good dogs do come from what some may call backyard breedings, but it's not hard to tilt the tables in your favor. No one ever regretted getting a dog from great bloodlines.

Last edited by sns2; 11-25-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If at least half the dogs in the pedigree aren't field titled, I would keep on looking, and it doesn't matter who the breeders are. The best way to maximize your odds of getting a dog with the potential to be a fantastic hunting dog is to buy one from a long line of fantastic hunting dogs. The proof is in field titles. The rest is subjective peeing in the wind. Sure good dogs do come from what some may call backyard breedings, but it's not hard to tilt the tables in your favor. No one ever regretted getting a dog from great bloodlines.
Not to mention these field dogs make great pets.

My dog from Prairiestorm is such a good house dog. Great with other dogs and kids. Couldn’t ask for a better pup.

I haven’t had the time to train him to be a hunting dog with my work, but he does trail and flush birds, just need to work on the retrieve.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:02 AM

I have seen many, many wonderful dogs from the following breeders and would have no problem recommending any of them...

Club Mead Labradors (Alberta)
Antler Meadows (Alberta)
Prairiestorm Kennels (Saskatoon)
AJ Top Retrievers (Montreal)

Even though AJ Top is in Montreal, a plane ride for a puppy is $300. The cheapest part of owning a dog is the purchase price. Don't chintz out, because the money you "think" you are saving, will end up haunting you down the road.

Contact all 4. Make an informed decision. Remember, your commitment to training that dog is an equally important part of the equation.

I am actively involved in hunt tests, and have attended many field trials. To my knowledge, I have never seen a dog from UGD competing, so I cannot comment on their dogs. However, I will unequivocally tell you that any of those 4 breeders will help you to get a puppy that will blow you away if you do your part in training, and will make an incredible house pet.

If you are new to this, feel free to reach out via PM. Finally, Pixelshooter is an absolute wealth of knowledge regarding Labrador Retrievers, and has helped many get into retrievers. Send him a pm too. Dog people are friendly.

PS: Antler Meadows only breeds chocolate labs.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:09 AM

In addition to what’s already been written in this thread I’ll add a link to this old thread that might also give you some valuable information:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=284411
Old 11-26-2020, 09:15 AM

X2 for prairie storm. Almost didn’t need to train my lab. He just does it!!!
Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM

x2 to what SNS2 said. I'm not a lab guy but the same applies to all breeders whether Retriever, flusher or pointer.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:20 AM

My current lab is now 5 years old and is a UGD dog. Bought her as a puppy. She is my 5th lab over 40+ years. Very strong hunting/retrieving desire. Marks extremely well. Responded well to training and is the best pheasant dog I have owned.
Andre and Chantelle are knowledgable breeders and trainers of hunting labs and nice people to do business with.