Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Default 12' Jon Boat vs. 12' Aluminum

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a used boat this spring for use on "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne). Typically when fishing lakes, my float tube does the trick nicely, but there are a couple areas I frequent where it just doesn't suffice. I have no need for an outboard gas motor and will be purchasing an electric to go with the boat. I want something lightweight and with the ability to transport in the box of my 1/2 ton truck ideally. My question(s) are...I like the idea of a Jon Boat for stability (stand up casting/fishing, etc) but wonder how it will fare on bigger water with an electric as opposed to an Aluminum V-hull? Which is the better "all around Boat" for use with an electric motor? It makes sense that an Aluminum V would move better through the water than a flat bottomed Jon, but is the difference significant? Does anyone run a Jon Boat on Maligne? Any issues or concerns? Looking for opinions and recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM

I would think that "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne)" means bigger waves and that is the one area a jon was not designed for. For "bigger waters" I would get a 14 ft alum. A little bit heavier but way more stable.

Good luck with what ever you get.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I would think that "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne)" means bigger waves and that is the one area a jon was not designed for. For "bigger waters" I would get a 14 ft alum. A little bit heavier but way more stable.

Good luck with what ever you get.
Agree. Jon boat might be a good option for small lakes and also rivers.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 PM

For stability and portability its tough to beat a zodiac style inflatable. you can get them with the high pressure air deck floors which make them easier to set up and also even lighter.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
For stability and portability its tough to beat a zodiac style inflatable. you can get them with the high pressure air deck floors which make them easier to set up and also even lighter.
All around, I agree a good inflatable would be the way to go, especially to get in to the remote lakes.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
All around, I agree a good inflatable would be the way to go, especially to get in to the remote lakes.
Remote lakes are my bread and butter. That's where my float tube excels
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Ive got both albeit in 14" versions... We run the jon with a 35# troll and it's perfect for hitting the bay I'm in on a calm day. The tinny is run with the same troll (and the added weight of a 20 horse) and it seems to move about the same.
That said, I don't think you'll get enough speed on either for the hull to make too much of a difference; Neither will get on plane and neither will have a chance to cut through waves/rollers.
Choose one that is the most comfortable and convenient to transport and you'll be good. Just keep in mind a good mid lake wind will that puppy alot harder than a troller will.
IMO if I was to pick one to run strictly on a troller, something to crawl shallows and shorelines, I'd choose the jon everyday. If there was even a slight chance I'd be throwing a 2 stroke and hitting big water, vhull hands down.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 PM

I have a 12ft Jon boat and I love it. Like everything there is
Some draw backs. It's a littler slower moving in the water and it's not designed for big waves. That's being said I've been in some medium waves on devils lake and baptiste lake and we managed just fine. The best thing about those boasts is stability, you can stand, cast, move around just fine with that flat bottom. Mine weights something like 80lbs which is perfect for One guy to load and unload. My vote is jon boat
Old 01-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Some great points so far guys. I very much appreciate all the feedback. I believe a 14' is too big of a boat for the back of a 1/2 ton and likely too heavy to be easily handled by one guy.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Jon boats are meant for stillwaters imo. If your set on one pls. get the widesst sob that you can afford min 16" sides welded.Lowe has a 1240 available this year..i fish out of a 10' spratley with 45"floor welded etc.bought in 97,best boat i have ever owned..55 traxxis t/mtr.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Jon boats are meant for stillwaters imo. If your set on one pls. get the widesst sob that you can afford min 16" sides welded.Lowe has a 1240 available this year..i fish out of a 10' spratley with 45"floor welded etc.bought in 97,best boat i have ever owned..55 traxxis t/mtr.
Agreed, Jons are great for calm water/bays/smaller bodies of water, etc. Have you had much experience fishing with that boat on bigger water, wind, waves, etc? Curious how it handles? I've been on Maligne many times where I'll see sun, wind, rain and snow all in the matter of a single afternoon. We currently fish out of a 14' Aluminum V (my dad's boat). I'm just wondering if in "less than ideal conditions" considering wind, waves, and an hour boat ride back to the launch with an electric if the Jon would be up for the job...
Old 01-31-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzy View Post
Some great points so far guys. I very much appreciate all the feedback. I believe a 14' is too big of a boat for the back of a 1/2 ton and likely too heavy to be easily handled by one guy.
Far too heavy! Mine is a extra wide Crestline, Enough room for 5 guys if everyone is smart with how they fish, but takes those same 5 to move it around without a trailer.
Side note: wider is better but only as much as the bed will allow, I've spent a little too much time trying to get that sucker unwedged from my Long box.

Sent from my T06 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

Marlon makes a nice wide welded jon. I used to do all my fishing out of a 10 and then 14 foot John. Just stay close to shore and be smart about it.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM

My v haul aluminum is fine to stand in as for me as the back is still flat, just the front passenger it's a little more difficult. I've had it in gull lake with big waves, and it's fine as long as you position the boat properly to the oncoming waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 PM

This thread is very interesting, I'm currently in the same boat ,ha ha trying to figure out which one to get. I'm wondering if an electric trolling motor is enough on a bigger lake like maligne or wabamun, to make it back to shore quickly if needed in a storm. And where would a guy find used boats other than on kijiji.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Having my 2 stroke evinrude On my 12' tinner is awesome would never want an electric one seen to many people paddling back when the waves pick up haha

Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genno View Post
Having my 2 stroke evinrude On my 12' tinner is awesome would never want an electric one seen to many people paddling back when the waves pick up haha

Unfortunately that's not an option for me. Lakes in the Parks are Electric motors only...