Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2020, 07:39 AM

Default Markets and Commodities

Looks like the markets and commodities are roaring this morning. Pfizer has a great announcement on vaccine progress as well.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:53 AM

Yeah market was moving up strongly and then the Pfizer announcement really drove it sky high.

Last night:

US STOCKS-U.S. stock futures higher after Biden election win | Nasdaq

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/us-s...win-2020-11-08

Markets soar, Dow futures add more than 1,400 points after upbeat vaccine data, Biden victory

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elect...231320807.html
Old 11-09-2020, 08:49 AM

Interesting when you get rid of a incompetent US President the markets really take off.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Interesting when you get rid of a incompetent US President the markets really take off.
The markets took off when Trump was elected, also. The president makes almost no difference, the general direction of policy might (taxes when Republicans took control), but the real driver of the markets is the absence of a bond market worth anything, stupid cheap money, along with the unimagined amounts of cash being injected into the system. Enjoy the everything bubble.

Last edited by Erik; 11-09-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
The markets took off when Trump was elected, also. The president makes almost no difference, the general direction of policy might (taxes when Republicans took control), but the real driver of the markets is the absence of a bond market worth anything, stupid cheap money, along with the unimagined amounts of cash being injected into the system. Enjoy the everything bubble.
I’d argued that for years over several US presidents.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:16 PM

New game, new narrative with a vaccine.

Rotation from what worked in pandemic, to cyclicals and the stuff that was thrown out in March in full force. Some CDN oil names up 20+%, cve, su, cnq.

Bonds getting slapped with the ten yr up over .95.

Gold taking a hit with risk on.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Realistically probably has more to do with a Republican Senate that won't allow him his taxes or 'The Green New Deal'

US political gridlock typically good for the global economy, keeps everyone from enacting too much hard left or hard right policies.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:05 PM

Default Market topped

They failed to pump on the most bullish news.

We have been waiting, as retail, for a vaccine. The narrative has been “once we get the vaccine we can get back to normal”
Finally we get the vaccine, the choose one has arrived, yet markets failed to go up. The most bullish news everyone has been waiting for, yet markets are not going up.

Bezos sold twice.
Once in first week feb, a month before the dump.
Once in first week august, almost a month before the second dump.

I made a mental note to pay attention to when he sells next.
He sold again for a third time first week November.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:47 PM

Dow Jumps Nearly 300 Points As Big Tech Keeps Sinking And Smaller Businesses Boom On Vaccine Developments
November 10, 2020
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonatha...-developments/

Dow up nearly 250 points on gains for shares of Walgreens Boots, Boeing - MarketWatch
November 10, 2020
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...ing-2020-11-10

Dow surges 800 points on Pfizer vaccine results, Biden win
November 9, 2020
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rd/6219095002/
Old 11-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Anyone read the fine print in the vaccine news? Its needs to be stored at -70C (-94F) to stay viable https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN27Q1G1. At standard freezing temps it has a shelf life of days...no doubt with severely reducing efficacy at that. Even the Mayo clinic noted they don't have the ability to store anything at this temp. The announcement was so premature its not even funny. I also read and article that they are still waiting on safety data...ummm maybe hold off the announcement LOL. Of course its safe though. That is why vaccine manufacturers have been given a blanket exception (https://www.ft.com/content/12f7da5b-...a-e726b75eef4d) from liability on any corona vaccine. Boy does that make me feel good. Not going to delve into the political angle of the announcement timing but its certainly suspicious given the unknowns. The idea that any meaningful area of the world is going to have this storage capability anytime soon is ridiculous. This world has been firmly removed from reality and into a wishful dreamland and politically motivated quagmire of BS.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJ View Post
They failed to pump on the most bullish news.

We have been waiting, as retail, for a vaccine. The narrative has been “once we get the vaccine we can get back to normal”
Finally we get the vaccine, the choose one has arrived, yet markets failed to go up. The most bullish news everyone has been waiting for, yet markets are not going up.

Bezos sold twice.
Once in first week feb, a month before the dump.
Once in first week august, almost a month before the second dump.

I made a mental note to pay attention to when he sells next.
He sold again for a third time first week November.
What is forgotten in all this is that there we were already toppy Before Covid. There was plenty of talk of the incredible bull run up to spring 2020 and of a potential recession before this all hit. The idea that we are at all time highs given that fact AND all the negatives that have transpired with Covid (with no real end in sight) is utterly...honestly I have no words. At least none I can say here without getting a lifetime ban.

Last edited by The Elkster; 11-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 AM

The comments made about shares being highly over valued, Ponzi scheme etc, what is your solution. If you put a $100,000 in your mattress n 1980, you would be pretty disappointed with what you can buy with that money today, so unless you own appreciating assets, sitting on straight cash is a recipe for ending up in thee poor house. To stay ahead of inflation, your money has to be in a business that produces growing sales and profits, in land in the right location or the market. You pick which one, or the mix of those but leaving cash in a can is not a good idea.

I have also said this MANY times before, if your earnings in the stock market are taxable in the year you buy and sell, then what you gain by trying to time the market is severely constricted. Even if your investments are in tax deferred accounts is is pretty easy to get this wrong. Missing the run up will cost you far more than the drop you avoided. RBC shares have gone from 105 to 75 Feb 22 to March 21. They are back at $100 today. If you got the timing just right you made a ton, if you sold a little late, March 4th was at 94, Mar 14 87 and have not bought back in yet waiting for the big drop predicted for this fall and winter you really don't want to miss buying back in on the next drop. If you just sat on your shares for the last 8 months you are back to almost even with Feb 22nd, you are up $17 from Dec 22 2018 and have collected 1.94 cents in Dividends since Dec 2018.

Own high quality dividend paying stocks, the best in each category. If you had put $100,000 into Royal bank shares in 1980, instead of your mattress, you would be a multi millionaire today with $6.5 million dollars in stock, and $325,000 a year in dividend income instead of the equivalent of $50,000 in purchasing power for the cash. (Straight buy and hold with dividends reinvested in the Drip). If you did buy and sell trying to time it you would be lucky to have half as much, just from paying taxes on the gain, let alone missing the run ups. If you had done the same thing with BNS you would only have 1.5 million, proving that holding the best in class is key, but that is still a pot load better than cash in a tin. If you futz around with the pumped up, get rich quick stuff you would likely be broke today. (The values for RBC and BNS are actually understated by quite a lot as my calculator actually only goes back to 1995 for this kind of thing).

Last edited by Dean2; 11-12-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:53 PM

Volatility. There’s a lot of investor and professional money and a huge amount of leverage involved in playing the short-term market conditions.

Vaccines are now on the horizon so in a few years time the pandemic impacts should be history.

Wall Street ends sharply lower as pandemic fears resurge | Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idINKBN27S21Q
Old 11-12-2020, 08:42 PM

Volatility has been running roughly double what it was pre covid in stocks, gold and oil. 1-2% daily moves in markets is the new normal it seems.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The comments made about shares being highly over valued, Ponzi scheme etc, what is your solution. If you put a $100,000 in your mattress n 1980, you would be pretty disappointed with what you can buy with that money today, so unless you own appreciating assets, sitting on straight cash is a recipe for ending up in thee poor house. To stay ahead of inflation, your money has to be in a business that produces growing sales and profits, in land in the right location or the market. You pick which one, or the mix of those but leaving cash in a can is not a good idea.

I have also said this MANY times before, if your earnings in the stock market are taxable in the year you buy and sell, then what you gain by trying to time the market is severely constricted. Even if your investments are in tax deferred accounts is is pretty easy to get this wrong. Missing the run up will cost you far more than the drop you avoided. RBC shares have gone from 105 to 75 Feb 22 to March 21. They are back at $100 today. If you got the timing just right you made a ton, if you sold a little late, March 4th was at 94, Mar 14 87 and have not bought back in yet waiting for the big drop predicted for this fall and winter you really don't want to miss buying back in on the next drop. If you just sat on your shares for the last 8 months you are back to almost even with Feb 22nd, you are up $17 from Dec 22 2018 and have collected 1.94 cents in Dividends since Dec 2018.

Own high quality dividend paying stocks, the best in each category. If you had put $100,000 into Royal bank shares in 1980, instead of your mattress, you would be a multi millionaire today with $6.5 million dollars in stock, and $325,000 a year in dividend income instead of the equivalent of $50,000 in purchasing power for the cash. (Straight buy and hold with dividends reinvested in the Drip). If you did buy and sell trying to time it you would be lucky to have half as much, just from paying taxes on the gain, let alone missing the run ups. If you had done the same thing with BNS you would only have 1.5 million, proving that holding the best in class is key, but that is still a pot load better than cash in a tin. If you futz around with the pumped up, get rich quick stuff you would likely be broke today. (The values for RBC and BNS are actually understated by quite a lot as my calculator actually only goes back to 1995 for this kind of thing).
I don't make a habit of trying to time the market. I've done well in the market with the slow and steady approach. I would never have pulled money out on the fear of a standard recession. I saw the pandemic coming and saw it as a huge/unprecedented blackswan event...and that it has been. Being close to retirement I pulled tax sheltered money to be cautious and try to preserve what I have over the unknown period.

Seeing the lengths to which gov'ts will go to prop up a market on the brink has given me some peace of mind to put my money back in the market. I will do so although at this point I think I'll wait to see how this latest outbreak is going to play out with massive new business shutdowns likely.

Covid aside I don't like what I see in the market in the way of a break from reasonable valuations because "reasons" but you can't do anything about market sentiment and leaving money in cash is just going to mean inflation eating it all away. The money printing is off the charts! There really is no choice but to be in the market...but IMO the choice is a pretty poor one when you look at the underlying fundamentals. We are now playing in a monopoly money world. We'll see how that plays out but it leaves me feeling very uneasy. Its actually accelerated my retirement plans. Spend it while ya still got it.

Happy investing
Old 11-13-2020, 10:53 AM

If you think the world is running on monopoly money, which it is, then cash is trash. Governments are printing like crazy, the money supply is growing like crazy and governments are spending like crazy. Gold is one of the few things that makes any sense in these conditions. There is still alot value out there in some beaten down stuff I think. The gains in tech have pulled most of the weight in the index, its not cheap.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Is anyone buying bitcoin yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Well as long as my blue chips keep paying dividends and reinvesting I am not following to much. RBC has been money for me.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Im starting to change my mind on it. I’ll be watching the etf when/if it comes out next year.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Im starting to change my mind on it. I’ll be watching the etf when/if it comes out next year.

Most people won’t be getting involved until it crosses $20k usd

Old 11-13-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Most people won’t be getting involved until it crosses $20k usd

It strikes me as something that can go from 20k to 200k or from the 20k to zero. I don’t know. Make 1000% or loose 100%. Might be worth taking a small stab at it. How much up or downside are insider people thinking about? I did see one company in the US put a good portion of there assets into Bitcoin. Its getting mote mainstream. I worry about regulatory risk with it. I think thats the big one that could send it to zero.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Dean I have to correct you on one point first. I did not say gold was more or less volatile than stocks. I said that having it in the portfolio reduces portfolio volatility. Holding less than perfectly correlated assets does that. It reduces my risk. Combine that with a period where the asset outperforms and you get higher returns and less volatility. We’ve had probably 18 years where that has been the case for having some gold in a portfolio.

The second point you continue to mention is the performance of the banks. Comparing Canadian bank stocks like they are the only asset in your portfolio is cherry picking the best class of stock. Like buying Berkshire back then. What other stocks have done better than Canadian banks? Darn few. Your comparisons would be more valid if you used a stock market index as a comparison.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I won't touch Bitcoin until it is in a firmly regulated market. Right now you have no way of knowing if the Bitcoin you are buying even actually exists, and even if it is real what could happen to it under regulation. Right now you are playing Roulette and the house has all the advantage. If you treat it like gambling fine, but it sure as hell isn't investing.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I won't touch Bitcoin until it is in a firmly regulated market. Right now you have no way of knowing if the Bitcoin you are buying even actually exists, and even if it is real what could happen to it under regulation. Right now you are playing Roulette and the house has all the advantage. If you treat it like gambling fine, but it sure as hell isn't investing.

Granted you may have a great understanding of markets and traditional investments, but not so with Bitcoin. I absolutely know the Bitcoin I’ve purchased is mine and it’s relatively easy to tell. Bitcoin shouldn’t and most likely can’t be regulated. There is no house. There are whales, but the only form of manipulation is through participation.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Granted you may have a great understanding of markets and traditional investments, but not so with Bitcoin. I absolutely know the Bitcoin I’ve purchased is mine and it’s relatively easy to tell. Bitcoin shouldn’t and most likely can’t be regulated. There is no house. There are whales, but the only form of manipulation is through participation.
You assume a great deal about someone u know very little about. I sat on the Bank of Canada Curreny committee when it first started looking into how to regulate Bitcoin, among many other things, in 2006 and I was on that group until 2012 but I am sure you have a far deeper understanding of the ins and outs of Bitcoin. Feel free to carry on putting your cash into play with your perfect understanding of this market.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:53 AM

To clarify, I checked my notes for the committee. I sat on the Currency committee from 2006 to 2012, the use of blockchain for financial transactions was discussed in 2010 but actual regulation of bitcoin didn't start being discussed until 2011.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
You assume a great deal about someone u know very little about. I sat on the Bank of Canada Curreny committee when it first started looking into how to regulate Bitcoin, among many other things, in 2006 and I was on that group until 2012 but I am sure you have a far deeper understanding of the ins and outs of Bitcoin. Feel free to carry on putting your cash into play with your perfect understanding of this market.

That might actually make you less qualified to understand bitcoin. Lol. Don’t attack me, I’m joking only.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry got super hectic at work and just haven't had time to spend on these boards. Firstly, of course I'm assuming a great deal about a person I know very little about, this an internet messaging board. Secondly, Bitcoin didn't exist in '06.

If you look at my past posts I have always been and am still very positive on bitcoin. In fact I would still say that when I buy bitcoin I am more optimistic of it's future benefit than any stock I currently hold. That said, bitcoin may fail too, nothing is for sure.

Also, there is nothing interesting about blockchain and most other crypto currency. Bitcoin's intrinsic value is in decentralization. Everything else I own is subject to the Crown. If I've committed my hierarchical seed keys to memory Bitcoin may be the only wealth in existence that is truly mine and untouchable by any person, Government or Court.

As with anything time will tell, but I also don't deceive myself with an arbitrary distinction between investing and gambling. It's all gambling, but in a world of 0% interest rates what can do but play the games.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:

I just opened up a BTC and ETH account (Wealthsimple app) - waiting for funds to transfer. Looking to set up 1-2% of my total portfolio in here as a hedge and see how it goes. Was told if crypto dropped to the 10k-14k levels again to load up

payables solutions like Square (maybe PayPal) are offering as a service option now.

Last edited by Austin; 11-13-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Land and proving up gravel deposits have been the best investment I have made.