Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Default Good Quality Canvas Sleeping bag

Hello All
I’m looking to add another sleeping bag to our hunting gear. Currently I’m running a 25 year old Trekk -25 canvas and fleece bag that I absolutely love. Unfortunately they don’t make it anymore.

Anyone have any experience with a similar bag by a different manufacturer. I absolutely hate the nylon stuff sack type bags.

If possible I would even like something a little oversized. Sail out of Quebec has one called the Anok? I think but I e never spoken to anyone who has laid eyes on one.

Thanks
Hilgy
Old 09-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Smile Couple suggestions for camp bags

Have a look at the Woods poly-cotton canvas bags with flannel lining available from Canadian Tire. Specifically the Heritage at -15C, and the Yukon 10 at -45C. My Woods sleeping bags with 5lbs. of Hollofill 2 have held up well and always kept me warm throughout the years. Bonus- they zip together to make a queen size sleeping bag.
Another option: check out the North 49 brand available from Costco. They show the Frontier 9 at -25C and the Basecamp at -42C. I'm not familiar with this brand, but if Costco carries it, it should be reasonably OK.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Hello All
I’m looking to add another sleeping bag to our hunting gear. Currently I’m running a 25 year old Trekk -25 canvas and fleece bag that I absolutely love. Unfortunately they don’t make it anymore.

Anyone have any experience with a similar bag by a different manufacturer. I absolutely hate the nylon stuff sack type bags.

If possible I would even like something a little oversized. Sail out of Quebec has one called the Anok? I think but I e never spoken to anyone who has laid eyes on one.

Thanks
Hilgy
https://www.amazon.ca/Sports-Sleepin...%2C247&sr=8-11

really good company. I think their bags are lifetime warranty. I had 2 replaced free of charge even though the bags damage wasn't fault of the bag or comany. (don't ask, but I bought 28 bags from them for a company that uses them fairly roughly)
Old 09-13-2020, 02:45 PM

https://campers-village.com/whistler...km-wsb-kh.html

I have this one...Love it.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Awesome thanks guys. I’ll have a look at all of these. Never even thought of Costco.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:13 PM

Woods makes a great sleeping bag. Not light by any stretch but if you wanted to stay warm camped on a frozen Manitoba Lake for a winter doing geological surveys I wouldn't take anything else. I only know them as 3 star and 5 star. Models have likely changed since I bought my last one.

Canvas, down, and itchy damn wool liner. Can't beat that. It's not camping if you aren't spitting feathers in the morning
Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 PM

I have 7x Woods Migrator Duck bags at my cabin here in the Yukon. 3 for the main cabin and 4 for the guest bunkhouse. Never a complaint, even when folks neglect to fill the wood stove on chilly evenings.

Typically they get used as oversized comforters on top of bedsheets. Once a year I will pull a couple out for the wall tent bison hunt setup. They do the job.

Obviously they are large, heavy things. The MEC crew I am pretty sure uses them in disgust ; )
Old 09-14-2020, 05:57 AM

I have a Woods 3 Star Down filled,good for -40 Give me an offer F/S

Last edited by tallieho; 09-14-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Local option

I don't have one of these but know people who do. They love theirs. Wool is hard to beat for warmth.

http://www.customwoolenmills.com/woo...ag_deluxe_size
Old 09-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby99ca View Post
I don't have one of these but know people who do. They love theirs. Wool is hard to beat for warmth.

http://www.customwoolenmills.com/woo...ag_deluxe_size
This ^^

My parents run a sheep operation and send all their wool here. We use their sleeping bags for our wall tent base camp. Bags are way oversized and perform excellent, definitely worth the cost. Love the fact that they are local and use local woolgrowers for the fill as well.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Hey Guys

Figured I’d update this thread. Thanks to all that offered advise. One of my big problems is that i needed my bag fairly quickly. So after looking at a lot of the options mentioned I ended up going with a Cabelas Magnum 44 -20c bag.

I really wanted a oversized bag. I have 2 terrible shoulders so I move around a lot during the night because of the discomfort. I spent 4 nights in this bag last weekend and was quite impressed. Much better than a standard bag for me. Hopefully it holds up as good as the Trekk has.

One thing that I was a little ****ed about was the lack of a storage bag. Even $50 cheap bags have some sort of bag with them. For close to $300 I expected a decent canvas storage bag.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions and happy hunting.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys

Figured I’d update this thread. Thanks to all that offered advise. One of my big problems is that i needed my bag fairly quickly. So after looking at a lot of the options mentioned I ended up going with a Cabelas Magnum 44 -20c bag.

I really wanted a oversized bag. I have 2 terrible shoulders so I move around a lot during the night because of the discomfort. I spent 4 nights in this bag last weekend and was quite impressed. Much better than a standard bag for me. Hopefully it holds up as good as the Trekk has.

One thing that I was a little ****ed about was the lack of a storage bag. Even $50 cheap bags have some sort of bag with them. For close to $300 I expected a decent canvas storage bag.

That's the bag i bought. LOVE IT.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:40 PM

I've been running a Trekkie five for the last 26 years probably the best heavy sleeping bag out there I doubt if they make them anymore

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys

Should have looked at the Teton bag I gave you the link to.. Its VERY big and comes with a nice canvas bag with a heavy duty zipper.. Can usually get them for about 100$ off amazon.. I've had mine for over 5 years and nothing but great things to say.. Also life time warranty no questions asked
Old 10-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Can tire has woods -45 on sale now 25% off
Old 10-02-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
Should have looked at the Teton bag I gave you the link to.. Its VERY big and comes with a nice canvas bag with a heavy duty zipper.. Can usually get them for about 100$ off amazon.. I've had mine for over 5 years and nothing but great things to say.. Also life time warranty no questions asked
I did look. It was on my short list but even with Prime I couldn’t find one that I was sure was going to get to me in time. While I was out hunting I noticed a couple that were back to guaranteed 2 day. I’m going to be replacing my youngest sons bag ( my old one ) after this season and the Tetons are on the list. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:42 PM

I have had one of these bags for 10 years.

For the price it is great quality.

Pretty thick and heavy material

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...degf?a=2163396
Old 10-02-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I did look. It was on my short list but even with Prime I couldn’t find one that I was sure was going to get to me in time. While I was out hunting I noticed a couple that were back to guaranteed 2 day. I’m going to be replacing my youngest sons bag ( my old one ) after this season and the Tetons are on the list. Thanks for your help.
Gotcha... Ya with covid shipping is nothing but a guess now..

I don't usually push brands or products, but Teton is an amazing company.. I think I mentioned about that I actually bought 28 sleeping bags from them and by no fault of the bags, 2 got damaged after 4 years of use.. no questions asked they sent 2 brand new bags to me and didn't even ask me to ship the damaged ones back
Old 10-03-2020, 08:26 AM

Not canvas, but I bought my heavy truck bag in 1984 from Ribtor.
Believe it is called an Alberta 8. I kept it in my old hunting Suburban for many years in the winter.
Has been a really warm and faithful friend.
Every time the Grandson stays for a sleepover he begs me to let him sleep on the floor in that bag
Old 10-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Can tire has woods -45 on sale now 25% off
Slept in the yard last night with it, way too warm at +4, had to unzip it all night.