Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 10:57 PM
Banned

Lmao, you outta try some bow hunting, might change your perspective on what you need out there in bang sticks lol. 6.5g is a whopper deluxe to a bow hunter lol.

But ya, if you’re down with 600-1000 as no biggie then you’re shootin the right shizzle. Where you’re getting warmed up I’m all done for coyote work and a couple hundred past where I’m gonna big game it. Guess I’ve regresses a bit. I do like to dial up and play but in the same time zone is far enough lol. I’ve been shooting far too much recoil for far too long, now I’m really having fun. You’re making it too easy.😉

The reviews will come on those binos, comparisons will be better, initially the new swaro will get rave reviews, then some reality will settle in and some realistic info and comparisons will come. Same same for most new hot and heavies. Will they end up worth $4k? Doubtful, like most their gear.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Lmao, you outta try some bow hunting, might change your perspective on what you need out there in bang sticks lol. 6.5g is a whopper deluxe to a bow hunter lol.

But ya, if you’re down with 600-1000 as no biggie then you’re shootin the right shizzle. Where you’re getting warmed up I’m all done for coyote work and a couple hundred past where I’m gonna big game it. Guess I’ve regresses a bit. I do like to dial up and play but in the same time zone is far enough lol. I’ve been shooting far too much recoil for far too long, now I’m really having fun. You’re making it too easy.😉

The reviews will come on those binos, comparisons will be better, initially the new swaro will get rave reviews, then some reality will settle in and some realistic info and comparisons will come. Same same for most new hot and heavies. Will they end up worth $4k? Doubtful, like most their gear.
Bud, you don’t think I bow hunt?
Here’s the thing, I know how much time it takes to be successful bow hunting.
Now take all the time you spend bowhunting, time off work, scouting, prepping, checking cams, researching things etc
Now put a dollar amount on the time you’ve spent. It’s fair to consider it like overtime since it’s after work on weekends and evenings etc
How much money does that add up to?
I’m guessing a fair amount
I decided to use that money to go on other hunts instead of bowhunting
Old 08-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Bud, you don’t think I bow hunt?
Here’s the thing, I know how much time it takes to be successful bow hunting.
Now take all the time you spend bowhunting, time off work, scouting, prepping, checking cams, researching things etc
Now put a dollar amount on the time you’ve spent. It’s fair to consider it like overtime since it’s after work on weekends and evenings etc
How much money does that add up to?
I’m guessing a fair amount
I decided to use that money to go on other hunts instead of bowhunting
Quit responding to his endless nonsense, it’s the best for all of us.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Splitting hairs, a lot of money spent doing it too.😉

A fair bit of butt hurt with team green too.😁

Well past what the eye itself can do with the glass.
Not sure why one needs a set of high end binos to put meat in the freezer. High end optics are developed for bird watchers as there is a lot of fine detail involved in doing close comparisons on similar species. If you are horn hunting and counting rings there is little justificaton as one would be using a spotting scope and not binos. A set of $500.00 binos is more than adequate for 95% of the hunters out there and there are some good ones. I had always used a compact set of B and L Discoverys which I picked up in the 70's. However, they eventually crapped out and I sent them to Bushnell (they bought Bosch and Lombe)for repairs which they refused as they said parts were no longer available. Interesting though as I found parts online in the states but still lost the arguement. To make peace they offered me a set of Bushnell "Forge" in 8 X 42 for the price of $ 167.50. I was never a Bushnell fan of optics and reluctantly agreed as they offered the glasses at cost.These are a $500 retail set of glasses which are very impressive and a pleasure to use hunting.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Not sure why one needs a set of high end binos to put meat in the freezer. High end optics are developed for bird watchers as there is a lot of fine detail involved in doing close comparisons on similar species. If you are horn hunting and counting rings there is little justificaton as one would be using a spotting scope and not binos. A set of $500.00 binos is more than adequate for 95% of the hunters out there and there are some good ones. I had always used a compact set of B and L Discoverys which I picked up in the 70's. However, they eventually crapped out and I sent them to Bushnell (they bought Bosch and Lombe)for repairs which they refused as they said parts were no longer available. Interesting though as I found parts online in the states but still lost the arguement. To make peace they offered me a set of Bushnell "Forge" in 8 X 42 for the price of $ 167.50. I was never a Bushnell fan of optics and reluctantly agreed as they offered the glasses at cost.These are a $500 retail set of glasses which are very impressive and a pleasure to use hunting.
To each their own, but I would disagree with you 100%. Whether sheep hunting or deer hunting, I spend a ton of time looking thru binos in varying degrees of light conditions and a broad range of distances. $500 binos don't work for me.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Try glassing through cheap bino's for a couple hours...you'll quite likely get eyestrain.
But more important...how one wants to spend their money is up to them.
An SKS will kill a deer as well as a Cooper...I'd rather have the Cooper
A Honda Fit will get me from A to B as well as a Porsche...I'd rather have the Porsche.
The list would go on and on.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:47 PM
Banned

ya you don't need much Yukongold, but not all of us just trying to fill a freezer, wouldn't even need bino's to fill a freezer

but a lot of us questing more than just 'brown it's down' and the bino is a highly utilized tool that needs to be comfy for hours of straight work, and show you everything there is to be seen, the alpha class bino's not only make this possible but they make this often tedious needle in haystack search...enjoyable
Old 08-24-2020, 04:02 PM

To each their own is what is important here. As long as your wife doesn't read my thread those $3000 $ binos will work just fine. LOL! I am not saying high end optics are not nice to look through- I cannot justify that expenditure for hunting. Now, if I could only get my wife to kill something......... haha!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:57 AM
Banned

After playing around with my new spotter I think that the forehead rest on these new nl's will be really handy
One of those features that you dont realize how helpful it is until you try it
Now if they only made it with a range finder
Old 08-28-2020, 11:43 AM
Banned

For anyone interested, we just got our pricing (McBain Camera) on the new Swaro NL.
Special order, delivery dependent on the number on stock in the Swaro warehouse.
Not as pricey as people have been expecting.
Anyone interested please PM me.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 PM

Default Swarovski rl

So, has anybody had a chance to check the new RL’s out yet?
Old 09-11-2020, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
So, has anybody had a chance to check the new RL’s out yet?
Can say much for the swaro nl’s
But the new version zeiss rf binos are sweet!
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Banned

One of the first user reviews
https://www.allbinos.com/179.1-artic...pressions.html
Old 09-13-2020, 02:02 PM

Default Swarovski rl

Wow, quite the review. Skip all the mumbo jumbo and just go to the end where he sums it all up. Interesting.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:37 PM
Banned

I see they have a 115mm objective for a spotter too
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM
Banned

brand new girlfriend, the euphoric stage is wonderful

lets see if the love affair burns as hot in 6 months and a little reality sets in
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
brand new girlfriend, the euphoric stage is wonderful

lets see if the love affair burns as hot in 6 months and a little reality sets in
'Haters gonna hate'...no matter what, eh Stinky
Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

this applies to most new release products, especially fan favorite brands, everyone gets their feelers maxed and gushes and gushes, takes a little while for reality to set it after everyone chills out

easy things to joke about, but the hype train is real, lot of money for a pair of bins, so definitely worth waiting out the hype train to see how much they really worth

pretty sure the guy in that link was taking those binos to bed with him, a little creepy
Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
this applies to most new release products, especially fan favorite brands, everyone gets their feelers maxed and gushes and gushes, takes a little while for reality to set it after everyone chills out

easy things to joke about, but the hype train is real, lot of money for a pair of bins, so definitely worth waiting out the hype train to see how much they really worth

pretty sure the guy in that link was taking those binos to bed with him, a little creepy
Only thing I’ve seen that is over hyped is new cartridges. Especially ones that shoot the exact same billets at the exact same speed as another cartridge that has been around for like 50 years

Last edited by marky_mark; 09-14-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Cheap Binos Hurt Your Eyes.

Glassing for long hours esp @at dusk and dawn with cheap glass will fatigue your eyes. Period.

I've had Leica 8x40s, Zeiss 10x50s, Leitz Trinovid 8x20s and Swarovski 10x50s.

Of them all the Swaros where by far the best. Sold em because I noticed they cleaning scratched super easy and where bulky/heavy.

Swarovski IMO makes the best glass, have for decades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Great review. I'm real excited to get a look through the 12x42s.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, quite the review. Skip all the mumbo jumbo and just go to the end where he sums it all up. Interesting.
actually, skipping the mumbo jumbo isn't what you should do, there are more than several comments early in that already give me concern, from initial impression of image etc.

so read very carefully between the lines on this and without the swaro bias, this guy has plenty of it, and i'm coming away with one good thing for sure...that's that the 12x42 options in the 29 oz range will hopefully broaden, the size/weight/magnification are the best part of the bino so far, the rest i'll be very careful about believing, and or, read very carefully between the lines, slow down fellas

gosh it's tough having beauty and brains
Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
actually, skipping the mumbo jumbo isn't what you should do, there are more than several comments early in that already give me concern, from initial impression of image etc.

so read very carefully between the lines on this and without the swaro bias, this guy has plenty of it, and i'm coming away with one good thing for sure...that's that the 12x42 options in the 29 oz range will hopefully broaden, the size/weight/magnification are the best part of the bino so far, the rest i'll be very careful about believing, and or, read very carefully between the lines, slow down fellas

gosh it's tough having beauty and brains
No worse than your Leica bias.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

that bias came from a long time comparing and playing, zeiss and leica were better for me and what i found most annoying about swaro is they price as if they're first place when they are 3rd place, they get away with it lol

anyhow, all bias aside, seriously read that article again, my concerns at this point are how long it took him to get inside the image, seems to be a little finicky there and for me that will be an issue to watch out for, i am used to seeing wow as soon as my eyes hit the glass, no adjustment, hunters have different needs than bird watchers, we often need immediate performance, if i need to adjust every time i get into these that will be a no go

so as he alluded to in the article, trying to make such a wide fov for the magnification and eye relief, this may not translate to hunters as well as they hope, it's one thing to sit down on a tripod and get to work, but on the fly bringing up to your face for quick glances etc. is another, it needs to do both of those things equally well

i wouldn't order these without putting some time behind them compared to others imo

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-16-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:35 AM

Default Swarovski rl binos

So...has anybody had their hands on a pair of Swarovski RL binoculars yet. What do you think?
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
So...has anybody had their hands on a pair of Swarovski RL binoculars yet. What do you think?
NL’s lol
Old 10-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Swarovski rl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
NL’s lol
Opps...right you are. NL Pure.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Banned

Haven’t seen the NL’s in person yet
But I can tell you that the little head rest is awesome
Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 PM

Default Choices

There will always be new products coming in and out of the market place that will come very close to the quality of the big 3 Euro companies, and the big 2 Japanese, and Vortex, where ever they are made. Lots of us fellows in the business Bob Todrick included have the ability through professional contacts to get our hands on just about any model we want for damn near as long as we want to borrow them for. We are a fortunate few.
There was a time when I could afford a set of Geovids and I had them for a few years, as well as the 65 mm Leica spotting scope, even though I was working for a competing brand, who's products I loved to sell. Our stuff in our higher end models was close in comparison in the binocular mid price point products.

Like Bob mentioned in any field test 3 sets of eyes will more often than not, find 1 pair that like better than the others, and for my money anything in excess of $1500 is pretty fantastic glass. My current favorites are a long discontinued 7x33 Celestron Granite that I have had for close to 10 years now. I have been a huge fan of 7 power products for a number of years, going as far back as the original Bausch and Lomb 7x42 Discoverer binocular, pretty close to 25 years ago now.
Are my 7x33 binos or the old 7x42 B&L comparable to more modern glass, that is 10 times more expensive, nope not a chance. But for my eyes they are still excellent binoculars......FS