Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
209x50cal

Default Hey Morb

The name of the forum is "Hunting Discussion". So don't you think that locking a thread discussing hunting is maybe a little silly? You may not like the number of threads that the topic is generating but it obviously is a hot topic and on the Alberta Outdoorsmen's mind.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
chef

Default locks

not trying to jump on morb or start something ,but there,s been a trend here,since all mods were accused of not holding a light to lilsundances ability to see the need to lock a thread.
now there,s a couple premature locks compared to earlier dates and all the mods seem to be more involved .
not blaming morb or any one individual ,just an observation.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 AM
lilsundance

209, not long ago we locked a thread because it was triplicated. The person who started a new thread, by his own admision, said he didn't want to read all the responses and just wanted put in his two cents worth on the subject. Of course he was chasticised a bit and the thread was locked.

Chef, I know you didn't say it but in answer to your post, all the mods have been around doing their jobs. Sometimes the jobs we do are not seen or noticed by the posters. IE deleted posts/threads. Unless you saw the post/thread prior to our deletion you wouldn't know it was there. Everyone notices a locked thread however. To say the other mods havent been holding a candle to my ability to see a thread needs locking isn't fair. Like hunting its all about being in the right place and the right time.:lol
Like the people on this board, we all have a difference of opinion and look at things differently. Thats why this board is so succesful, and why we sometimes take a lot of flack. ( not just from the posters, my wife wonders what I am doing on here 5 times a day)
Oh and about a year ago I was accused of locking a thread prematurely:rollin .
Old 01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
sheep hunter

I agree with 209 that this a very hot issue in Alberta and I've certainly seen a swing in public opinion regarding crossbows in the past couple years. There was so much misinformation out there and it's interesting to see people change their thoughts as they learn the truth about what crossbows are capable of and more importantly, what they are not capable of.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Morbius131

Yes I also agree that this is a very HOT issue but the fact of the matter is there is no need to have 3 different threads on the same issue. Being that this is such a hot issue, discuss it in one thread so that all ideas, thoughts and opinions are grouped in one area. This way there is no need to refer people to what was said in another thread.

Morb
Old 01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
sheep hunter

No criticism intended Morb, but sometimes those long threads head off in directions they were never intended to go and it takes a new one to bring them back on track. I think that's all Duffy was trying to do. Like I said though, no criticism intended...you do indeed have a thankless job....
Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Duffy4

Actually sheephunter, more than that I wanted to take the discussion in another direction. Instead of arguing weather a cross bow is better, worse or the same as a vertical bow, I was trying to make the point that it does not matter a hoot how they compare.

The question I see is "Is a crossbow different enough from a rifle to "deserve" a seperate season from rifles?"

If the answer to that question is yes (and I think it is) then where might a crossbow have a seperate season from the regular rifle season. In Wainwright F&W has desided to lump muzzleloader, crossbows and vertical bows together. Did the ABA howl about that move? In the Special county of Strathcona Deer season, hunters can use muzzleloaders, shotgun and slugs, vertical bows and crossbows. Is there a big problem here? Or does it make sence to have a number of "primative" single shot short range weapons lumped together?

Robin
Old 01-07-2007, 11:14 PM
prairieboy

Quote:
The question I see is "Is a crossbow different enough from a rifle to "deserve" a seperate season from rifles?"
How about looking at it this way.Is a crossbow different enough from a handheld bow to exclude it from the regular archery season?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Jamie Hunt

Or is a compound different enough from a traditional to exclude it?

Just different shades of gray.

Jamie
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 PM
bigbore

you mods are to nice to people. lol. if this was CGN, just having 209x50 question what you do will get you banned from the forum, lol. keep up good work mods