Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM

Default First lawsuit over James Holmes massacre

This guy is crazy!! I can understand he's mad and wants someone to blame, but, why not the gunman??

One of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose. One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died. Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/24/james-...suit-shooting/
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Sounds like a pure money grab to me. When will these frivolous law suits end?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm traumatized having had to read that BS, any lawyers wanna take my case...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
3. Warner Bros. Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action. The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie. Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."
Its just like the kids in the 1980s who killed their parents. They tried to blame the band Judas Priest, saying that their music prompted them to commit the murders. Only its the Dark Knight Rises movie that is the convienient source of blame this time.

While the guy may be traumatized by what he witnessed, this just comes across as a pathetic attempt to get rich off of the death of a person he claims was his friend.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Theaters, Warner and doctors have money

Maggot loser killer does not.

Bodies arent even buried yet, and some maggot is suing.

Tells you something.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Yeah he must really be traumatized… seeing his best friend get shot in the chest, and doesn’t sound like he wasted anytime driving to his lawyers office… what a joke… sad thing is he will probably get a lot of money out of this…
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

What a way to make a tragedy even worse for others.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Theaters, Warner and doctors have money

Maggot loser killer does not.

Bodies arent even buried yet, and some maggot is suing.

Tells you something.
X2
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Somebody down there needs to tell that scum to go pound sand and quit trying to make money off his friend's death.
Cat
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM

well, if the movie can inspire people to commit mass murder like that, by any extension of Logic, there should've been someone in that theater who had a batarang ready ...

ooooopppps there goes logic failing us.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Go after big pharma.

Evil from top to bottom.

More dangerous than the mexican cartels.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

I hope he looses as does anyone else who sues and that it winds up costing him an arm and a leg. People are always trying to get money as if that will make up for the event that led up to it. I am 100% against giving money to anyone regardless of the crime, unless break something of yours or steal money from you, I would rather go to jail then pay someone a cent.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him. Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1. The theater. Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded. It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket, propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

2. Holmes' doctors. Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors -- at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

What??? No firearms manufacturers????? This guy clearly has an incompetent lawyer.

it's a joke...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM

people keep making the arguement that a ccw permit holder could have saved the day here.

i heard on the radio this morning that this particular theater had a "no guns" policy....im not sure if its true or not but can you imagine being stuck there while your 1911 is at home because the theater owner is anti gun.

i bet the shooter knew about this policy when he picked which theater to assault.

the lawsuit is garbage....but the "no guns" policy in a state that has concealed carry permits is garbage too....sue the theater? no....you didnt have to go to a no guns business at the end of the day.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What??? No firearms manufacturers????? This guy clearly has an incompetent lawyer.

it's a joke...

I know you're kidding, but that would be a non-starter; the US has a law on the books indemnifying firearms manufacturers from liability associated with the criminal misuse of their products.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Actually, if the theater was a "gun free zone" I might be warped enough to eventually support a lawsuit of that type
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM

#cockroaches
#paparazzi
#politicians
#lawyers
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Wow, what a joke
it's so much easier to blame other people than actually taking a look at what causing people pull **** like that. Blame violence in music and movies all you want but seriously we need to find a way to recognize at risk people before they loose it. This guy needs to sit back for a bit and have some respect for the people who died instead of trying to profit of them.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM

the states newest millionaire, he'll win.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Warner Bros. lawyers will cut up his and spit them out in about 1 day of court time
American Medical Association??...see above
Theatre Corp., with their "no guns policy" are toast!!!...ka-ching for the dickwad...no wonder he filed so fast.......
Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Banned

Actually, that's a lawsuit I'd like to see. Sue the theatre for preventing him from exercising his 2nd amendment right and not allowing him to defend himself. Hooo boy! That would get some attention.

I don't think any of these mass shootings have occurred in a place that wasn't a "gun free" zone. Vriginia Tech, Columbine, Poly Tech, Streets of Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago, etc, the theatre, even Fort Hood was a gun free zone believe it or not...at least the area where the shooting occurred.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...ry-Doesnt-Work
Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Being that seated CCW permit holders might have difficultly drawing their defensive firearms from their venerable positions, have the settlement include the theatre chain install universal holsters adjacent to the cupholders (muzzle down, naturally). This will allow rapid defense and be a signal to maniacs to choose softer targets elsewhere. Then those institutions can be sued as well. There should be a class action lawsuit against all 'gun-free zones', IHMO.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 AM

This entire episode, from the very start to......, there will probably not be an end, is a very sad reflection of our society today.....