Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM

Default leghold trap for coyotes question.

I need some clarification for just what is legal to use for coyotes as far as foothold traps. AIHTS says conventional footholds are prohibited, and they list some approved traps, but under that section they say they aren't mandatory yet. So i'm a bit confused . thanks guys
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Get the ones that are listed
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM

#3 victor soft catch is on list
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 PM

I know whats on the list that's not my question. Is the list mandatory or not? that's my question. I have traps that aren't on it already and there fine. Not inhumane in anyway. So if I don't have to buy new ones Im not. The list says right at the top there not yet mandatory. just don't want to make a mistake. Asked a conservation officer he had no Idea.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM

yup they are mandatory
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM

They are the recommended traps from the few they test. That list has nothing to do with what is the most effective or humane trap. There are many good traps not on that list nor will they be. You should see what a coyotes foot looks like after he has torn any of the rubber pads up a bit. And the foot snare is just a laughable piece of equipment. The way it is worded it seems to me to be recommended not mandatory. Until it is phased in anyway.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Default Use what you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey View Post
I know whats on the list that's not my question. Is the list mandatory or not? that's my question. I have traps that aren't on it already and there fine. Not inhumane in anyway. So if I don't have to buy new ones Im not. The list says right at the top there not yet mandatory. just don't want to make a mistake. Asked a conservation officer he had no Idea.
The list for coyote, bobcat & wolf IS NOT mandatory at this time. You can use what you want till such time as it is legislated for these animals. There is more info at www.fur.ca
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
The list for coyote, bobcat & wolf IS NOT mandatory at this time. You can use what you want till such time as it is legislated for these animals. There is more info at www.fur.ca
The guy who has the trapline right beside me just got charged for using unapproved legholds for lynx they were old longsprings,he was told by the fish cop he could use them if he off set the jaws and laminated them,so now I am confused