Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2020, 05:55 PM

Default Increased fishing licence sales do not equate to more stocked fish

From the previous thread,
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379404
there seems to be a complete lack of understanding of where your fishing License monies go.

I will repeat here:

The breakdown is as follows;
License fee $29.40

ACA levy $18.30
IBM fee $8.20
Alta government $1.50
GST $1.40

Increased licence fee or sales do NOT equate directly into stocked fish

Some comments in the previous thread that need to be responded to;

"46,000 more licenses is 1.3 million dollars. That buys some fish"

No...extra licence dollars go to the ACA

"When I'm a senior I will also gladly pay if it means that the there will be stocked water for everyone"

No..extra licence dollars go the the ACA

"The problem is fishing generates a lot of $ through licensing, and thus politicians can't seem to keep their hands off of it."

No..as you can see above, very little of your license dollar goes to the "politicians"

"most of this money goes to ACA, and what they do to fund fisheries is fairly questionable at best. Perhaps someone should ask them how their funding has been used to improve fisheries--because to my understanding this money is entirely separate from all of the revenue pots that fund our monitoring and regulation development side of things with AEP."

Yes..as stated in the previous thread;

"Facts about where your ACA dollars go...;

2019 levy revenue collected by the ACA from hunting and fishing licenses was $13.5 million

Of the $13.5 million collected, $7.3 million went directly to staff salaries alone
The ACA has a staff of about 80 people, of which 50 - 60 are biologists/techs
The CEO's salary is $305,000 per year

For those that still think every $ in increased license fees goes to "fish in the pond"....I will leave you with this sobering number;

The ACA stocked 63 ponds last year with a total of 106,090 trout
The ACA revenue from fishing license sales last year was $5,217,000
$5,217,000 divided by 106,090 equals $49.18 per stocked fish

So...it would take the sale of almost 3 fishing licenses to stock one fish"

So, it doesn't matter whether you make seniors buy a licence...or make those that wear purple socks on Tuesday buy a licence. The extra money generated goes into ACA coffers....very very little of which actually results in trout in the pond

The vast majority of stocking that takes place is done by AEP. That, along with monitoring, enforcement (actually justice department), planning and fisheries management comes out of the AEP budget.....NOT out of licence sales.

If you wish to translate your licence dollars directly "into fish in the pond", you will need to make your voices heard with AEP

Full disclosure...I am not a senior, I am not a politician, I am not associated with ACA, I do not work for AEP. I am a fisherman who buys a licence every year.