Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 AM

In town I really like the Bison Bistro.

If you want AMAZING food, head up to Storm Mountain Lodge. Reservations highly recommended. It's 30 minutes out of town towards radium.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Juniper Bistro at the Juniper Hotel, it's on the other side of the highway (on the way up to Mt. Norquay), excellent restaurant with awesome views!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Another vote for Ticinos. I go there every time I got to Banff and have since they opened.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Banned

Park is so much fun. Have the drink that they actually SMOKE with cedar.

My personal favourite is the Grizzly house. I just love every thing about that place.

Banff is so close and so much fun that it is well worth it just to drive up for dinner and some walking around.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 AM

Hit the Grizzly House for Dinner and reserved the private booth under the motorcycle with the rope pull wooden flag to allow server to enter.
Still fun to be in that booth 25 years after my last visit.
Wife has a broken arm , so Fondue was a no brainer as everything is already cut for her. Used the couch cushions to prop up her arm and she was in heaven

Big downside now is that so many people go for the hot rock cooking instead of the oil fondue. Leaving our private walled booth was like being in a sauna with a brutal cloud of smoke. Get a hundred people cooking on Hot Rocks and it gets unbearable pretty quick. Her Asthma went to hell after that dinner. But it was worth it.

She had chicken and prawn fondue. I had the Hunter variation with Bison, Elk, Venison and Wild Boar.
4 course fondue dinner-choice of soup and salad-Cheese fondue with baguette and steamed veggies-Dinner meats in oil fondue and Toblerone Chocolate fondue with fresh fruits.
Couple of cold pear ciders.
Bill was about $130 which I felt was pretty reasonable for how much fun we had.

Went to Park for lunch yesterday and we will be back for sure.

Went up the gondola Tuesday afternoon and it was +13 in Banff. Gift of a day. Parking lot was under water. Good thing I had her mighty Honda Fit.

Last edited by omega50; 03-15-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Hit the Grizzly House for Dinner and reserved the private booth under the motorcycle with the rope pull wooden flag to allow server to enter.
Still fun to be in that booth 25 years after my last visit.
Wife has a broken arm , so Fondue was a no brainer as everything is already cut for her. Used the couch cushions to prop up her arm and she was in heaven

Big downside now is that so many people go for the hot rock cooking instead of the oil fondue. Leaving our private walled booth was like being in a sauna with a brutal cloud of smoke. Get a hundred people cooking on Hot Rocks and it gets unbearable pretty quick. Her Asthma went to hell after that dinner. But it was worth it.

She had chicken and prawn fondue. I had the Hunter variation with Bison, Elk, Venison and Wild Boar.
4 course fondue dinner-choice of soup and salad-Cheese fondue with baguette and steamed veggies-Dinner meats in oil fondue and Toblerone Chocolate fondue with fresh fruits.
Couple of cold pear ciders.
Bill was about $130 which I felt was pretty reasonable for how much fun we had.

Went to Park for lunch yesterday and we will be back for sure.

Went up the gondola Tuesday afternoon and it was +13 in Banff. Gift of a day. Parking lot was under water. Good thing I had her mighty Honda Fit.
Glad to hear you & your wife had a good time, and that you went to The Grizzly House... It's my favorite too !

Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM

The Bison Restaurant & Terrace in Banff is excellent. My wife and I went there a few years ago for our anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed it. We spent about $140 on the two of us (tip included) and that didn't include any alcohol. Probably the best meal I've had in my life. Everything was perfectly cooked and beautifully served and the blend of flavours was very complementary. Nothing was on your plate "just for the sake of being there" - the food all worked together. Amazing.

The portions aren't big - it's "fine dining" and so they're looking to satisfy you properly, not force you to waddle out, your eyes glazing over because you ate too much. The idea is that you eat an appetizer, an entree and then a dessert. We did that and were properly satisfied with the portions.

You will need a reservation unless you go really early.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 PM

Thumbs up

Excellent thread! Taking the GF to Banff for her birthday weekend, these reviews make my life a lot easier.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
As much as I've enjoyed the food and experience at the Grizzly House, that is definitely the biggest turn-off. We all ended up smelling like fry cooks, which kind of gets old on the hour drive home. I wouldn't want to wear my nicer clothes in there, that's for sure.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Default High rollers !!

HIgh Rollers Bowling Ally and Grill... Good Selection of food and 50 some varietys of beers on Tap. And has Bowling Ally; and roomy seating and T.Vs throughout ;& music and good attmosphere and self serve popcorn machine and cant forget specials evey day... call ahead to see what there special.. you may get the on 5 buck pint day or 10 bucks a pizza and pizza is really good.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:09 PM

We just booked a table for the final Pasta Wednesday of the season at the Rimrock. So much more there than pasta. We target the amazing assortment of appies, cheeses and charcuterie, and gourmet pastries/desserts/chocolates. Best $30 meal you will have in Banff.....
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Haven't been to Banff for quite a few years now. Wasn't there a pretty good restaurant/pub that was upstairs in a building?
Buffalo Bills? Huge bar and restaurant.

Lots of good places but as you would expect, bring lots of money.

Me & my pops went to the Saltlik last summer, was almost $200 and neither one of us "pigged out"
Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Can't go wrong with Balkans, Tuesday's evenings they have a belly dancer and plate throwing there.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 AM

google taxi mikes has all deals. A place has a special on calzones on Tuesday or Wednesday that are awesome. Saltlik is great but pricey, grizzly in is a complete wrip off