Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 11:24 PM
Banned

Default What is a sniper rifle?

With all this talk about sniper rifles and whatnot, in your opinion what, makes a sniper rifle, a sniper rifle?
Is it the caliber, make, colour, stock material, scope, range, trigger pull?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:37 PM

I think 'they' are going after anything with a scope.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 PM

By definition it would a rifle in the hands of a trained sniper and being utilized in that fashion for which the individual is trained to do.

Otherwise it is a precision rifle.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
With all this talk about sniper rifles and whatnot, in your opinion what, makes a sniper rifle, a sniper rifle?
The user makes the rifle, call it what you want ain't gonna change the outcome until it is in the hands of a person....now the rifle may change many names and then throw in all the perspectives and watch it take off.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
I think 'they' are going after anything that goes bang
fixed it
Old 03-25-2018, 08:11 AM

As far as the media and the anti gun crowd is concerned, if it looks like an assault rifle, it is an assault rifle, if it looks like a rifle that a sniper would use, then it is a sniper rifle. So basically any scoped bolt action rifle will be referred to as a sniper rifle in order to reclassify it as restricted or prohibited.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
A sniper makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 PM

Old army rifles that someone thinks are worth 3x as much as they realy are =sniper rifles. The classifieds are full of them.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 PM

Rifle used by a trained sniper.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:36 PM

I somewhat disagree with the generalized definition of "a sniper makes a sniper rifle". Michael Schumacher driving a Fiat 500 does not a race car make. I like a modified version of the definition on Wikipedia: A sniper rifle is a high-precision rifle designed for sniper missions. It serves to fulfill long range tactical needs with high hit efficiency and can be used by both military and law enforcement".

Therefore, as the Ruger Precision Rifle, Savage 10 BA, Tika TAC A2, etc. are accurate firearms, they are by no means "designed for sniper missions". If I was going into the field, given the choice of two hypothetically equally precise firearms, a RPR or a Remington Mk 21, it would not be a difficult decision.

From the governments perspective however, I unfortunately agree with Elkhunter, "if it looks like a rifle that a sniper would use, then it is a sniper rifle".
Old 03-25-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I somewhat disagree with the generalized definition of "a sniper makes a sniper rifle". Michael Schumacher driving a Fiat 500 does not a race car make. I like a modified version of the definition on Wikipedia: A sniper rifle is a high-precision rifle designed for sniper missions. It serves to fulfill long range tactical needs with high hit efficiency and can be used by both military and law enforcement".

Therefore, as the Ruger Precision Rifle, Savage 10 BA, Tika TAC A2, etc. are accurate firearms, they are by no means "designed for sniper missions". If I was going into the field, given the choice of two hypothetically equally precise firearms, a RPR or a Remington Mk 21, it would not be a difficult decision.

From the governments perspective however, I unfortunately agree with Elkhunter, "if it looks like a rifle that a sniper would use, then it is a sniper rifle".
But all things being equal Schumacher would outdrive all of us with that car. If you put 100 people all driving the same car he would win. That's what he does. He could push that car further than anyone of us. If we all drove racing cars he would win too. He is a professional driver.

Many production rifles have been used a sniper rifles. Remginton 700, Winchester model 70, Savage model 10. 700 and 70 were used in Vietnam war . The 700 is probably the most copied rifle for precision sniper roles. Most aftermarket custom or precision rifles use it's receiver dimensions and trigger.

It's the person using the rifle that makes it a sniper.

I have a Mosin Nagant sniper rifle from WWII. The rifle alone doesn't make me sniper. It definitely is not a precision piece of equipment. There is no denying that it is an actual sniper rifle.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
But all things being equal Schumacher would outdrive all of us with that car. If you put 100 people all driving the same car he would win. That's what he does. He could push that car further than anyone of us. If we all drove racing cars he would win too. He is a professional driver.

Many production rifles have been used a sniper rifles. Remginton 700, Winchester model 70, Savage model 10. 700 and 70 were used in Vietnam war . The 700 is probably the most copied rifle for precision sniper roles. Most aftermarket custom or precision rifles use it's receiver dimensions and trigger.

It's the person using the rifle that makes it a sniper.

I have a Mosin Nagant sniper rifle from WWII. The rifle alone doesn't make me sniper. It definitely is not a precision piece of equipment. There is no denying that it is an actual sniper rifle.
Unfortunately the media, and the majority of the general public don't see things that way. If it looks like something a sniper would use, then to them it's a sniper rifle. If it looks like an assault rifle, then to them it is an assault rifle. And even the fools in charge of our firearms classification system restrict or ban firearms based on appearance, so why would we expect any logic from the government? The PM is so clueless about the current regulations that he stated that a person doesn't need to be able to produce a license to purchase a firearm, so it's not like the people in charge really care about facts anyways.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:14 AM

Has the media been using the term "sniper rifle" or was it just that one Liberal MLA from Alberta?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:48 AM

Does anyone have a link to where the Feds have brought up about “sniper rifles”?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2018, 09:08 AM

Any scoped rifle with a barrel shroud that is capable of fully automatic bolt action armor piercing fire that isn't scary enough to be an assault rifle is considered to be a sniper rifle.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:21 AM

I was out shooting steel gongs at 400 yards with a 270win, is that a sniper rifle.
There is people shooting out to and beyond 1000 yards with iron sights..
Are those sniper rifles too...
The unknowing is the worst part of this new bill.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Therefore, as the Ruger Precision Rifle, Savage 10 BA, Tika TAC A2, etc. are accurate firearms, they are by no means "designed for sniper missions".
HA!!!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...sed-uk-police/

- RPR Fanboy
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Does anyone have a link to where the Feds have brought up about “sniper rifles”?
Dick, page two of the general discussion, first post has a link "banning of assault weapons capable of automatic function and sniper rifles" sorry, don't know how to link, I believe it's off of their alberta liberal site, not a federal link but does give a bit of insight into their agenda, or lack thereof, don't know what I'm gonna do with out all my full auto Uzis and aks.

Last edited by wildbill; 03-26-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Sniper rifle definition >>> Any accurate rifle in the hands of an expert marksmen .
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Sniper rifle definition >>> Any accurate rifle in the hands of an expert marksmen .
So I. Other words if the libtards get their way, we're up creek without a paddle
Old 03-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Dick, page two of the general discussion, first post has a link "banning of assault weapons capable of automatic function and sniper rifles" sorry, don't know how to link, I believe it's off of their alberta liberal site, not a federal link but does give a bit of insight into their agenda, or lack thereof, don't know what I'm gonna do with out all my full auto Uzis and aks.
David blood Swan spouting stuff.
Not official, just a smoke grenade, and a chance to get hot heads flapping.

Where is it mentioned in C71?

I’m not saying they couldn’t or wouldn’t, but I’d think your Rem 11-87, and Browning Auto 5 would be a far better mark.

Let’s stick to the facts in the Bill, shall we...
No unelected body determining classifications.
No back door registry crap.

That sort of stuff.

When we fall for a feint or a deke, we look like a bunch of nit wits. Exactly what the gun grabbers want. They got us so running in circles, we can’t maintain a decent defence. Think before you guys go off half cocked. This issue isn’t on the books as of today, and fighting at shadows is gonna wear us out, and we will get a beat down cause of it.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-26-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
David blood Swan spouting stuff.
Not official, just a smoke grenade, and a chance to get hot heads flapping.

Where is it mentioned in C71?

I’m not saying they couldn’t or wouldn’t, but I’d think your Rem 11-87, and Browning Auto 5 would be a far better mark.

Let’s stick to the facts in the Bill, shall we...
No unelected body determining classifications.
No back door registry crap.

That sort of stuff.

When we fall for a feint or a deke, we look like a bunch of nit wits. Exactly what the gun grabbers want. They got us so running in circles, we can’t maintain a decent defence. Think before you guys go off half cocked. This issue isn’t on the books as of today, and fighting at shadows is gonna wear us out, and we will get a beat down cause of it.
Did I say I fell for it?
Am I half cocked?
What would call the government being able to access all of firearms transactions, what is that called?
I am trying to get an understanding of what these libtards mean, that is all.
If you wanna draw your own conclusions of what's in my head and put your lies in my mouth, that just makes you a liar.
No where did I even mention bill c-71, did I?
Stick to the facts?
The fact is, you highjacked this thread with your own hidden agenda, to try and make it something it's not.
It's a simple question, if you are incapable of answering it, then adios!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Did I say I fell for it?
Am I half cocked?
What would call the government being able to access all of firearms transactions, what is that called?(Bill C71)
I am trying to get an understanding of what these libtards mean, that is all.
If you wanna draw your own conclusions of what's in my head and put your lies in my mouth, that just makes you a liar.
No where did I even mention bill c-71, did I? in red above
Stick to the facts?is it in front of parliament right now?
The fact is, you highjacked this thread with your own hidden agenda, to try and make it something it's not.my agenda isn’t hidden, wanna meet for coffee, maybe at the range?
It's a simple question, if you are incapable of answering it, then adios!im asking why the need for a definition, if it was part of a Bill or Legislation, there’d be a definition of the Governments choosing, going on about something that isn’t even in the a draft is sheer folly
It was a statement made by the LP of A leader. Fact, and he’s effectively about as powerful as whom?

I’m not sure it warrants getting so riled up(yet)

We’ve got bigger fish to fry, don’t we?

And yup, half cocked is the right term here.
You’ve fallen for a toe drag, and are now tripping over your skate laces.

Do you play chess?

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-26-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It was a statement made by the LP of A leader. Fact, and he’s effectively about as powerful as whom?

I’m not sure it warrants getting so riled up(yet)

We’ve got bigger fish to fry, don’t we?

And yup, half cocked is the right term here.
You’ve fallen for a toe drag, and are now tripping over your skate laces.

Do you play chess?
Dick284 I recall you telling me and others on a previous thread just prior to Turd-eaus gun bill, that we were just half cocked, and the bill is nothing but speculation........ Then this crazy bill came out and you were wrong..... Now you are doing this again. Are you a liberal troll trying to keep people from speaking out?
Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
Dick284 I recall you telling me and others on a previous thread just prior to Turd-eaus gun bill, that we were just half cocked, and the bill is nothing but speculation........ Then this crazy bill came out and you were wrong..... Now you are doing this again. Are you a liberal troll trying to keep people from speaking out?
Remove your head from where it’s stuck.
Half of what had you guys all wound up isn’t in the Bill.

You guys were going off half cocked over AR15 stuff. As it sits today, the AR15 isn’t in the spot light. It could possibly be with the RC’s at the helm now(yes this is bad jsu jsu) but let’s stick to the facts at hand and not go around freaking out about things that are just speculation or extrapolation.

I am not a Liebral never have never will be, what I am is somebody who made all the same mistakes I see you guys making but back in 1995, railing and wailing, and looking stereotypical in the eyes of those who we are against.

Just because I don’t subscribe to the usual diatribe, and because I’ve learnt a few maneuvers over the years to not get labeled as stereotypical, doesn't make me a plant or a shrill.
It just makes me a bit more experienced and maybe a bit more adverse to making the same mistakes again.

Just because I’m not freaking out, and running around with my hair on fire, doesn’t make me the enemy.

Have you guys ever actually had coffee or a sit down lunch with an MLA or MP?
Trust me when and if you do, it’s best served to park the rhetoric and visceral tone, and look like you’ve got your head screwed on straight. The minute you start clenching your fists and raising your voice, you’re now branded a hot head, and nobody wants jack to do with you.
Come clean shaving, organized, and with your emotions shelved, present your issue in a calm orderly fashion, foot the bill, tip heavy, and be gracious with your time and donations, and you’ll have allies.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-26-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I am not a Liberal supporter locally or federally , they are bad news for us all.
CBCs "This Hour has 22 minutes" TV program has plenty of content to choose from weekly, with Justin alone. "C-71" , Justin's tweets, David Swann are examples of their incompetence :

Alberta Liberal Party: Liberal MLA David Swann has released the following statement on gun violence and proposed federal legislation on gun control:

"Banning of assault weapons capable of automatic function and sniper rifles."
https://www.albertaliberal.com/swann_gunviolence_18

I think the point "Dick284" is trying to share with us, "C-71" hasn't reached the senate for a vote or passed into law - it has to go through 3 readings and then royal assent. It is our responsibility to have careful discussion with our peers about how there are things already in place with checks and balances to keep us safe.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinchg View Post

I am not a Liberal supporter locally or federally , they are bad news for us all.
CBCs "This Hour has 22 minutes" TV program has plenty of content to choose from weekly, with Justin alone. "C-71" , Justin's tweets, David Swann are examples of their incompetence :

Alberta Liberal Party: Liberal MLA David Swann has released the following statement on gun violence and proposed federal legislation on gun control:

"Banning of assault weapons capable of automatic function and sniper rifles."
https://www.albertaliberal.com/swann_gunviolence_18

I think the point "Dick284" is trying to share with us, "C-71" hasn't reached the senate for a vote or passed into law - it has to go through 3 readings and then royal assent. It is our responsibility to have careful discussion with our peers about how there are things already in place with checks and balances to keep us safe.
Thanks, but hardly.

Wasting bandwidth and effort on mis queues or directed mis queues is playing into the hands of the gun grabbers.

Be calculating, and less reactive

There are no absolutes