Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM

Default Sherwood Park Fish and Game Members 3D Shoot May 15

First shoot in fifteen years so we have no idea how many members are planning to attend! If you're going to be there, please shoot me a pm. Thanks
Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Banned

Default Shoot

One round or two and what time are you starting? Membership is about the same cost as most shoots so might be worth it if it works out with the schedule.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Sounds like a blast! Definitely have to get out soon to practice up tho!
Schian
Old 04-23-2016, 11:50 AM

There will be two rounds of 21 targets with a concession at lunch time. Registration starts at 8AM and shoot starts at 9:30AM. If you are planning to attend and are not a member of the Sherwood Park Fish and Game, you need to purchase a membership and a gate pass card before the shoot. You can contact membership director Deanna Loewen at 780-910-4248. Check out the rest of the info on the SPFGA website.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:25 PM

This shoot is going to be styled after the ABA bowhunter shoots they are now offering. Hunting style bows with realistic hunting type shots. Scoring will be 2(if in the X), 1(anywhere in the 10 or 8 zone), 0(miss or if you decide not to take the shot), -1(if you shoot anywhere in the 5 scoring area). Makes you think more along the ethical side of hunting. Is this a good shot to take or do I let the animal walk away for another day?!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
This shoot is going to be styled after the ABA bowhunter shoots they are now offering. Hunting style bows with realistic hunting type shots. Scoring will be 2(if in the X), 1(anywhere in the 10 or 8 zone), 0(miss or if you decide not to take the shot), -1(if you shoot anywhere in the 5 scoring area). Makes you think more along the ethical side of hunting. Is this a good shot to take or do I let the animal walk away for another day?!
Nice!!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Sounds like it's going to be a good shoot! I might be a member for a weekend...
Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
First shoot in fifteen years so we have no idea how many members are planning to attend! If you're going to be there, please shoot me a pm. Thanks
Binos allowed and no rangefinders right?

LC
Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Binos allowed and no rangefinders right?

LC
No rangefinder? My score may suffer considerably. I better bring a few extra arrows.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:18 PM

I just shot the camp hehoha shoot this past weekend, I have a feeling this one will seem easy after shooting at skunk targets set at 50+ yards through an 8" window in the bush. But if I can talk the wife into it, I will be there. Might even bring my daughter down with me!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM

Yes, the Sherwood Park Fish and Game 3D shoot for members only is a definite go for Sunday, May 15. Still time to buy a general range membership if you are interested for $55. Promise NO SKUNK shots at 50+ yards!! However, you may be asked to shoot kneeling, or sitting or ??. Binoculars are allowed but NO RANGEFINDERS.

We are aiming (no pun intended) to present targets that represent actual hunting shots by following the style of the Alberta Bowhunters Association in promoting ethical hunting. Shots will be offered that may or may not be good ones to take while actually hunting. You will make the decision to shoot or not but if you make the wrong one, your score will reflect it!!

Cheapest shoot you will ever attend at the cost of $5.00. Hoping to arrange for the proceeds from the shoot to go to the Red Cross to support the Ft.McMurray fund. There will be a concession also.

Registration starts at 8:00AM and shoot starts at 9:30AM. There will be two rounds of 21 targets at maximum distance of forty yards. Hope to see you there!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 PM

The 3D course WILL BE CLOSED for set up from and including Friday morning May 13 to Sunday evening after the 3D shoot. The target range WILL be open for business however Friday and Saturday.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:09 PM

Curious as to why members only? Never seen a closed shoot before, let alone advertised on ao forum.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Curious as to why members only? Never seen a closed shoot before, let alone advertised on ao forum.
I believe it has to do with insurance purposes, same reason why guests are not permitted to shoot on the property. It's advertised on AO because there are a lot of Spfga members who are regulars on this site.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I believe it has to do with insurance purposes, same reason why guests are not permitted to shoot on the property. It's advertised on AO because there are a lot of Spfga members who are regulars on this site.
Ah, that makes sense now. I've had a couple of people ask me about it, so that's why I asked. Too bad it's not available to non members, I think a lot of people would have attended. Oh well, have a good time!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense now. I've had a couple of people ask me about it, so that's why I asked. Too bad it's not available to non members, I think a lot of people would have attended. Oh well, have a good time!
How much does a shoot typically cost that these people go to?
This is a "$60" event that includes free use of the range for the rest of the year. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me
Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM

I guess, if they offered memberships at the event itself. Can't see many people going way out of their way to get a membership, wait for the paperwork or whatever may be involved, and the like for a one day shoot. If you could show up and buy a membership as your registration I could see it working.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I guess, if they offered memberships at the event itself. Can't see many people going way out of their way to get a membership, wait for the paperwork or whatever may be involved, and the like for a one day shoot. If you could show up and buy a membership as your registration I could see it working.

smartest guy on this thread.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
New memberships require the activation of an access card which is programmed using a computer in the SPFGA office in Sherwood Park by staff that know which keys to punch.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
New memberships require the activation of an access card which is programmed using a computer in the SPFGA office in Sherwood Park by staff that know which keys to punch.
Is there a mechanism to accept the monies for membership on the day of the shoot, and the prospective member fills out a form to be submitted the following week? The 3d chair will be at the shoot and could collect those things? Just a thought. I can see the participation increasing if this was a viable option as was mentioned.

Most of us pay $50-60 for a 1 or 2 day shoot of 3 rounds of 20 targets regularly. With kids being $20-40 depending. A family of will spend $100-150+ in entry fees. A general family membership for a year pales in comparison to what archers pay several weekends throughout the summer. It's a great value being a member at SPFGA.

LC
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Post updated below.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 05-12-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 AM

I just spoke with the Membership folks and they indicated there were no provisions for the on-site sale of Memberships. They did accommodate one person yesterday by going to the office an processing a special request General so the person could attend . We need to keep in mind that the Office does not keep regular hours every day, so at this point, a special request must be accommodated by the Membership people making a trip to the office to open.
So, for those current non-members that are contemplating joining the club with a General Membership, best advice is to go to the website and follow the procedure to purchase ...

Last edited by 260 Rem; 05-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info 260. I can see the archery membership growing significantly once the secret is out . The "if you build it they will come" saying rings true for sure.

LC
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I just spoke with the Membership folks and they indicated there were no provisions for the on-site sale of Memberships. They did accommodate one person yesterday by going to the office an processing a special request General so the person could attend . We need to keep in mind that the Office does not keep regular hours every day, so at this point, a special request must be accommodated by the Membership people making a trip to the office to open.
So, for those current non-members that are contemplating joining the club with a General Membership, best advice is to go to the website and follow the procedure to purchase ...
the membership people were very gracious I thanked them for making time for me as the said they do not hold summer hours.
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Could they not be mailed out at a later date if I bought my membership the day of the shoot?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Could they not be mailed out at a later date if I bought my membership the day of the shoot?
Suggest you call Membership at 780-910-4248 as they are the ones that could make such arrangement.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 PM

Lol Yup she did......? ...... yes we will be at the oilmans.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Lol Yup she did......? ...... yes we will be at the oilmans.

Is this a special arrow that you need back before then or can we bring it to Oilman's?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Oh the oilmans will be fine ?

Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Yup...right here first post, members shoot...Not sure why the surprises?

Of course it's "open" for members....who would go of it was closed?

There was discussion about it being for everyone and in the future it may be, but it wasn't and isn't at this moment.

LC