Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Calling Lake - Ice condition?

Anybody get out to Calling Lake this weekend? Heard a bit on the poor ice condition (flooding) that was happening a couple weeks back and was wondering if it had improved any. Had a group of us planning to go up Family day weekend but if the conditions are still nasty, we'll maybe look elsewhere.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Was out the last Sat in Jan. No vehicle tracks onto lake by southeast access. Used our Quad with snow tracks to drive onto lake and quit 500yds later as slush seemed to increase and Quad throttle was pinned. Water is under snow and condition of the 18 inches of ice is questionable, as auger seemed to bore quicker then normal and then continually jam. Of course the hole is not really visible with the slush and water filling. I just cant see this situation improving but please reply if you here something positive.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM

That's the exact same story I heard. Can't guess with this warm weather that it has improved any since then. We'd be going on North of there(North of Calling River) not that the conditions would be any different. Hopefully someone that has been there recently could post any info saying that the conditions have improved, otherwise I'll probably plan on going elsewhere. Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM

access is bad. lots of flood water underneath snow. 4x4 vehicles will get stuck

Only snowmobile access i would say
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Go NORTH young man

Past Sucker Creek, and at the north east boundary marker, there is a new road plowed down to the lake. Most vehicles on the lake at this point. All other access points are pretty tough. Area you can drive in is not very big, as there is serious flood ice all around. You will see how far the bravest souls got in the slush. Not very far.

As for ice thickness, it isn't. Maybe 16 inches due to the heavy snow pack insulating it and the flood ice everywhere. We used the sled to go out about 1/2 a mile. Snow was heavy crust with grainy snow about 2 feet deep. snow was deeper the further out we went. Tough to break a trail with the sled as the crust is about 1 inch or so, snow is grainy, then you hit the flood patches. Fish were biting in 6 - 12 feet of water all afternoon, close to shore but VERY LIGHT!!. Still, some good fun.

Apparently bad heaves at Poplar street and at the park, so no access for vehicles. Access near the Tower at the town site is OK, just very heavy snow and flood ice. Best bet seems to be the northeast corner, or use the skidoo to venture out.

Drewski
Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Default Calling lake ice

Thanks for the info. We would be staying about halfway between poplar street and sucker creek but sounds like dealing with the spongy/slushy ice may be more trouble than it is worth with a bigger group. I suppose we'll be looking elsewhere for some better conditions. Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Herbie, think twice about that idea!

Herbie,

You can park at the new playground at Sucker Creek and walk out the 200 yards that you need to get to the fishing. I laid down lots of skidoo trails for you to walk on and the flood in the tracks will be frozen. You won't be disappointed. Sounds like you are a neighbour of mine. I am right north of the old tire shop / menonite log cabin. No cabin yet, but you should be able to figure out who I am if you ask around.

Drewski
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM

drewski,

are u having luck with eyes and perch this year?

i cant seem to find them. i tried all deeps at the pro park
Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Herbie,

You can park at the new playground at Sucker Creek and walk out the 200 yards that you need to get to the fishing. I laid down lots of skidoo trails for you to walk on and the flood in the tracks will be frozen. You won't be disappointed. Sounds like you are a neighbour of mine. I am right north of the old tire shop / menonite log cabin. No cabin yet, but you should be able to figure out who I am if you ask around.

Drewski
We were hoping to go straight out from the cabin. Just don't know if it's worth the trouble to break trail. No sleds, only quads, which can cause more problems than good in those conditions. I have to canvas the fellas and see what they think about a little bit of work...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Eyes yes, haven't tried for perch yet

Eyes are there as always, just shallow, and OK mid day, believe it or not. Some good ones getting caught. As for perch, have not gone out to the deep yet, kids keep just wanting to go skidooing. However, it is warming up and the days are getting longer. Expect to make a try out deep soon. Next chance to go is Feb 21 - 22 weekend.

Drewski