Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Default pine lake

never been there befor but was think of trying it this weekend any recent reports would be great
thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 AM

try scotty's , just ask at the store.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM

scottys does not no ****, place sucks since it was sold last year. was there yesterday had a mixed bag caught 3 pike one keeper 15 perch 5 keepers 8-9 inches and caught 2 nice walleye only kept the perch threw the rest back. just go north of scottys for the perch you will see the shacks i caught some pike there in closer . i catch most of my pike on the south end by the weeds hope this helps
Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Well we decided to give pine another try yesterday. We moved our shack from 5 feet of water to 9 feet and drilled some holes around it also. We had 9 pike to the ice between 2 in the afternoon and 5 oclock. 4 of them were well over keepers. It was quite surprising but very nice to see some healthy full bodied pike are still swimming around in there. I guess i can't give up hope on it yet. And hey....maybe if they open up the draw system the lake will actually have a chance to recover???
Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
TundraBuck

If they open walleye on that lake via a tagging system the walleye will get even bigger and we'll start to see better numbers of big perch.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
If they open walleye on that lake via a tagging system the walleye will get even bigger and we'll start to see better numbers of big perch.
lol no they won't there get smaller same like pigion
Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
lol no they won't there get smaller same like pigion
Thanks for your constantly positive "happy" input.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM

HPF is right no one really bothers with the tag system, your better off allowing a slot size to keep numbers in check, and some room for them to grow
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM

So I headed out to Pine for a few hours into the evening and got skunked. Was trying just north of Scotty's between a bunch of permanent shacks. Figured that since the shacks were there, it should be a ok spot. It was pretty deep were I was, about 20'. I was going for both perch and pike and when the evening got on burbot. Was using smelts on jig heads at different depths during the day and just off the bottom at night. I even tried a smaller hook with a bunch of freshwater shimps from the holes.

It's a fairly big lake so I didn't want to drive around all over the place drilling holes as I didn't have a ton of fishing time and it seemed like all the shacks were on the west side north of Scotty's. I had a depth map with me and was tempted to either try heading towards points off the shore on the east side or deeper holes near the middle. I've only been to the lake many years ago in the summer and did really well in the shallower northern part along the eastern shore but have no idea about the hard water season. Any suggestions or tips if there's a slightly better region to try or if there are different places for the perch, pike and burbot?

At least it was a gorgeous night out with the almost full moon .
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Well Team Triple S (Slough Shark Slayers) was out again yesterday. Caught another 9 pike. 2 of them keepers (not that we keep them) and the rest just under 63. All in all another good day on the ice. The fishing seems to be picking up nicely for february and will keep getting better im sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
HPF is right no one really bothers with the tag system, your better off allowing a slot size to keep numbers in check, and some room for them to grow
You do this, you're going to have the same thing that led to this mess. Not to mention the amount of people that will abuse this system, mostly people who aren't familiar with the regs and then people who just don't care.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
So I headed out to Pine for a few hours into the evening and got skunked. Was trying just north of Scotty's between a bunch of permanent shacks. Figured that since the shacks were there, it should be a ok spot. It was pretty deep were I was, about 20'. I was going for both perch and pike and when the evening got on burbot. Was using smelts on jig heads at different depths during the day and just off the bottom at night. I even tried a smaller hook with a bunch of freshwater shimps from the holes.
This is why people don't catch fish.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
You do this, you're going to have the same thing that led to this mess. Not to mention the amount of people that will abuse this system, mostly people who aren't familiar with the regs and then people who just don't care.
I couldnt agree more. I have used my walleye tags the last two years and plan to continue. It's a nice treat in the pan and a good challenge to find the slot size your looking for.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
I couldnt agree more. I have used my walleye tags the last two years and plan to continue. It's a nice treat in the pan and a good challenge to find the slot size your looking for.
It's one of the few things to keep people from abusing it if a limit were opened. At least the government is doing something about this instead of nothing at all.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for your constantly positive "happy" input.
Heres so more happy input as u say it. Pine lake perch will be almost all gone in about 5 years. There numbers are dropping rapidly. The walleye are eating a all the perch fry and the bigger perch are all being kept. I didn't really give a **** if u wanna live in your fairy tale land where people can hammer lakes all they want and tell everyone about them and think nothing is going to happen. The fact is everything is getting wrecked at alarming pace. Only thing can be done to save pine lake would be to remove all the walleye. Its to late to just close the perch down the walleye numbers are 2 high and people removed to many of bigger perch. So enjoy while it last.

HPF
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
Heres so more happy input as u say it. Pine lake perch will be almost all gone in about 5 years. There numbers are dropping rapidly. The walleye are eating a all the perch fry and the bigger perch are all being kept. I didn't really give a **** if u wanna live in your fairy tale land where people can hammer lakes all they want and tell everyone about them and think nothing is going to happen. The fact is everything is getting wrecked at alarming pace. Only thing can be done to save pine lake would be to remove all the walleye. Its to late to just close the perch down the walleye numbers are 2 high and people removed to many of bigger perch. So enjoy while it last.

HPF
I agree with you HPF. The Perch population will be gone if something drastic is not done. But I think if they opened up a draw system for pine there would be large numbers of people who would be happy to harvest walleye out of there. Everyone knows how to find them they just aren't allowed to keep them right now. And yes if they closed the lake for perch completely that would be helpful too but I can't see it happening. Hopefully they will watch the lake closely once the draw system is in place and realize that everything is way out of wack in there and many other lakes around here. Then maybe something will be done about it.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you HPF. The Perch population will be gone if something drastic is not done. But I think if they opened up a draw system for pine there would be large numbers of people who would be happy to harvest walleye out of there. Everyone knows how to find them they just aren't allowed to keep them right now. And yes if they closed the lake for perch completely that would be helpful too but I can't see it happening. Hopefully they will watch the lake closely once the draw system is in place and realize that everything is way out of wack in there and many other lakes around here. Then maybe something will be done about it.
The draw system is years and years away from happening. Even then if it happened it would just remove the big walleye out of the lake and nothing would change at all. Its 2 late nothing can be done for pine it at that stage of no return. Theres 1 possibitly which is the total destruction of the walleye population. Which won't happen. So like i said enjoy it while it lasts.

HPF
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM

i was out on pine twice in the last week and have had good luck both times catching perch walleye and pike there are lots in there you just have to find the right spots yesterday by myself i caught 4 walleye 3 pike and a dozen or so perch and lots of bites all day hopefully the same luck on sunday one pike was 33 inches biggest ive seen come out of there i released her hoping to catch her next weekend lol
Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

I'm thinking about going out on Saturday afternoon and spending the night in the shack overnight for most of Sunday.

Which end were you on there eyewhomper if you don't mind my asking?

I'm going after perch primarily.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Default pine lake perch

we used to fish pine lake for perch because is was very good every trip out.
Very good means between 2 guys if you didn't catch 75-100 it was a slow day. The fish were 6-12" so you could put fish back and have a very good chance that you would catch something in that 10" range. but know it is nothing like that, not any where close. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
we used to fish pine lake for perch because is was very good every trip out.
Very good means between 2 guys if you didn't catch 75-100 it was a slow day. The fish were 6-12" so you could put fish back and have a very good chance that you would catch something in that 10" range. but know it is nothing like that, not any where close. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. As a 5 year old kid, I learned how to ice fish by running with the line when the bobber went under the water. They'd shoot out of the hole like little rockets. I'd catch so many perch I'd get tired of running. Now of course its changed.

I keep going back to Pine because our family farm was a few miles west of there and its just a peaceful place for me to be and remember times with my granparents and such.

If I wanted to do serious fishing for perch, I wouldn't go there either.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I agree. As a 5 year old kid, I learned how to ice fish by running with the line when the bobber went under the water. They'd shoot out of the hole like little rockets. I'd catch so many perch I'd get tired of running. Now of course its changed.

I keep going back to Pine because our family farm was a few miles west of there and its just a peaceful place for me to be and remember times with my granparents and such.

If I wanted to do serious fishing for perch, I wouldn't go there either.
don't get me wrong I still go to pine and try once in a while,just alot slower days. But remember that a bad day of fishing is always better than a good day of work.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM

ive always caught fish on pine you just have to explore have had many 100 plus perch days you just have to keep moving from hole to hole till you find them i bought a vexilar this year and it has atleast trippled my catch. i love it for perch fishing dont be afraid to explore this lake might just surprise you
Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewhomper View Post
ive always caught fish on pine you just have to explore have had many 100 plus perch days you just have to keep moving from hole to hole till you find them i bought a vexilar this year and it has atleast trippled my catch. i love it for perch fishing dont be afraid to explore this lake might just surprise you
I've fished all over at one time or another, last three trips have been just off of sandy cove between there and green acres.

The problem I have is that with my portable ice shack it's quite a pain to move around so I try to set up and hope for the best. Then I'll drill a few holes around the shack and fish outside for a while. We had good success with the north end and south of scotty's in the past as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM

i also use a shack but usually dont set it up till i find fish if it takes me 2hrs and 50 holes so be it. i rarely get skunked the key is to keep moving around for perch till you find them.