Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Cow lake

How far is it from calgary and how is the fishing for trout?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 PM

You are looking at about a 2 hour drive to get to Cow Lake from Calgary.

I have fished the lake for 2 years now, and haven't caught a trout yet. I have seen pike (haven't caught one) and caught lots of perch. Who hasn't? Except for this past couple of weeks...I can't seem to get anything to bite.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 PM

i'd say 2-2 1/2 hours if you go safe... i've never caught one, but last summer was in a boat with my grand pa... he always forgets to adjust his reel.... he knew that there is big fish. so the day was really slow and after 2 hours of moving around he finnally got a bite. not sore what it was, but that thing turned my boat i'd say a quarter turn and just snapped 15lb line like it was nothing...

i tried many times but never caught one

btw he was using trout worms that day

cheers!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM

i hate alberta .. i cant find to catch any trout of decent size... maybe its just me
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 PM

the one guy that works at my mom's liquor store also works for the pish hatchery and he was the one that stocked it with brud stocks last year and he said the odd one even got stuck in ten pipe that they go from the truck to the lake in
Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 PM

what kind of fish got stuck?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM

come on now!!
change that attitude!
there are places! it just takes time ...

personally, i'd rather have 10 trips without a single bite and catch something real no 11th that catching 100 minnow size fish every time ... thats how i am. there are some good fish in Ghost Lake ... again you gotta have some patience to catch it... dad pulled out a huge white and a really big trout (9 lb) also there is burbot in there... try it out!!! cant guaranty that you will catch fish, but i am pretty sure if you catch it it will be a decent size

btw i'll be there tomorrow at 7-7:30 am
Old 01-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Default Any good perch lakes around red deer and area

Hey Guys I was out on Cow lake looking for some perch action first ice. It was my first time fishing this lake. I drilled serveral holes and not a bite. Does the lake get deeper than 5 feet. I walked along way out and it was the same depth all the way out. Any sugestions guy since I am going fishing again this tues? is search of some big perch and willing to drive a hour or so.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM

not sure how deep it is exactly, but yea it is shallow ... haven't been there this winter but heard that it wasn't that good
I'll tell you a lil secret=) next time you go there bring some cardboard with you.
make a litle hole in it, just big enough to get your lure through. it is a little pain, but it blocks sunlight and the area inder the hole looks more natural. it also prevents hole from freezing and decreases the chance that fish will "steal" your rod.
try burnt stick. there is some good perch 20-30' of water
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM

i work the next nine straight ... ill try make it to ghost lake to give it a shot on my days off...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 AM

where is burnt stick lake?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddeerguy View Post
where is burnt stick lake?
It's Burnstick and its SW of Caroline. Take Hwy 54 west thru Caroline, and then a few miles west there is a sign to turn left (south) for Burnstick Lake.

Follow the signs. Not sure about ice, haven't been yet this year.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Default cow and burnstick

I've caught some of the big brooder rainbows in cow, but not thru the ice. They are there, just few and far between.
The deepest hole in the lake is only about 10 feet. Most if it is about 6 feet.

I was out at Burnstick last week. The ice is about 12 inches, but there is a lot of water on the surface out toward the middle of the lake (I think the heavy snow cover on the relativey thin ice has pushed it down, and water has oozed up). The water is under the snow, so it'll catch you by surprise if you're not ready for it. Some people are driving near the shore, but I'd be nervous yet.

Fishing at Burnstick is very slow this year. The perch seem to have vanished from their usual haunts. Caught a nice pike though.

D
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outt and Aboutt View Post
I've caught some of the big brooder rainbows in cow, but not thru the ice. They are there, just few and far between.
The deepest hole in the lake is only about 10 feet. Most if it is about 6 feet.

I was out at Burnstick last week. The ice is about 12 inches, but there is a lot of water on the surface out toward the middle of the lake (I think the heavy snow cover on the relativey thin ice has pushed it down, and water has oozed up). The water is under the snow, so it'll catch you by surprise if you're not ready for it. Some people are driving near the shore, but I'd be nervous yet.

Fishing at Burnstick is very slow this year. The perch seem to have vanished from their usual haunts. Caught a nice pike though.

D

Tell me about it. I broke through the top layer of ice on Burnstick 2x yesterday and it scared the living beegeebees out of me. I thought one guy in a 3/4 ton chevy was going to break right through since he hit the area doing mach 2 on the ice. Why do people drive fast on lake ice?

Fishing for perch was relatively slow, but other than that it was an absolutely beautiful day out there.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Fished out at cow thursday caught lots of little perch didn't really see any good ones no trout caught one pike 5 pounds 27 inches nice pike to bad had too put him back
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Default How's the ice?

My big trip fell through maybe Cow this week end. Even if the fishing's crappy there's enough fish to see under the ice to keep the kids interested. How thick is the ice now and is there still a layer of water above the ice? I was there around Christmas and no one drove out much beyond the boat launch. Is the ice thick enough that people are driving down the lake now?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Default Cow

lots of ice 2 feet no perch yet caught 4 pike biggest 7 pounds and no trout
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan72 View Post
lots of ice 2 feet no perch yet caught 4 pike biggest 7 pounds and no trout
Catching pike with tipups and a salt water baitfish or get them just trying for perch/trout?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 PM

Caught a few mini perch, and 4 pike. Pike were on tipups, biggest about 4 pounds. Did have about a 7 pounder on my perch line for a couple of minutes. Perch were real slow compared to last year. No keepers seen.