Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Should this shark be killed
Yes...it was his right and the mount will be cool 22 30.14%
Yes...sharks are evil...regardless they should be killed 2 2.74%
No...sharks are essential to the oceans ecosystem and should be released 26 35.62%
No...he should of just asked for a graphite replica mount or a nice photo. 23 31.51%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Senseless waste or good clean fun?

http://www.justnews.com/news/18675952/detail.html

950-Pound Hammerhead Caught Off Miami Coast

Article is about a dude that kills a 16 foot hammerhead and wants to have it mounted.

There has been a huge increase in information regarding the effects of removing such large predators. Rays are the natural prey for hammerheads and with the hammerheads being killed off the ray population is exploding. Rays eat shellfish and now the shellfish fishery has crashed in many places and things will only get worse.

I strongly believe that we have a right to kill but also to protect what we catch. What do others think? Should this shark have been killed?

There are always alternatives to killing like a graphite replica mount.

Cheers

Sun
Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I would have to say no, its not worth the impact it would have. There are huge problems with over fishing sharks (shark fins are worth their weight in gold!) costa rica and the Golopagos isl's have recently legalized longlining for sharks (which kills all kinds of marine life) because shark populations are so depleted that drastic fishing measures are the only way to collect their fins. What is it about us that refuses to learn these lessons?!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Senseless waste...

What the hell is this guy thinking? I wouldn't be surprised if PETA paid him to make all those who hunt and fish look like insensitive, disrespectful people who have a total disregard for the balance of nature. Just kidding...kinda...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 PM

I dunno. The article doesn't really say much. Perhaps the shark would not have survived being released. So what? The impact on these amazing animals has to be next to nil from guys with rods in comparison to the factory freezer ships out there supplying the insationable asian markets.

Tree
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

I voted...

Quote:
Yes...it was his right and the mount will be cool
It's no different than someone keeping a 35lbs pike caught legally in an Alberta lake.

If it was legally caught then it was his fish and he can do whatever he wants with it....Except waste it ofcourse.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Gone Hunting

No one should legally have "the right" to kill a 35lb pike out of a closed body of water in Alberta. SRD isnt smart enough to understand the concept, so here I go,,,, Lord, bring on some regulations for this province. I dont know much about the oceans so cant comment, but I voted MUCH different than you Jester...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 AM

no i fished alot of years in florida when i lived there and only ever killed one shark for the table which was a small black tip shark,other than that all were released to make baby sharks...most were caught on the beach....black tip,white tip,spinner shark and yes even a nine foot hammer head....take your measurements and put them back...they are not a threat as again i had caught them on the beach and you wouldnt even know they are there if you wernt fishing for them...just like people dont realize there is sal****er aligators in the waters of the beaches....i have swimmed and fished both around me and never had a problem....alot of myths around these animals and killing them makes things of balance and i dont know alot of fresh water biolagy,i do know alot more about salt water and the ecosystem....my two cents worth
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

oh and the problem with stingrays if know one knows is they lye hidden in the sand until you step on them and they jab you in the leg with the spine on there tail and it is very painful...had a friend get jabed and it went through his leg,there will be more incidents of that and it happens more then shark attacks and a shark that size wouldnt be very good eating and by the time they make the mould of it,it would be not edible so its a wast in my point...my dad always told me you hunt to eat,you fish to eat...your not out to decorate the wall...
Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Default let him mount it.

in the long run, this is one 16 foot hammerhead, that one angler caught on a rod and reel. think about all the sharks that are caught up in nets by fishermen that aren't thrown back. If there is no law against it, then he has every right to keep the shark and have an awesome looking mount in his living room.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM

It's his shark.....enough said.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
It's his shark.....enough said.

Sort of my thoughts as well, but better worded !

I was going to say: and what does a poll by Canadian Tree huggers have to do with an American fish ?

But I won't say that
Old 02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
Sort of my thoughts as well, but better worded !

I was going to say: and what does a poll by Canadian Tree huggers have to do with an American fish ?

But I won't say that
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM

If you want to learn about sharks watch the movie SHARKWATERS, amazing, available at BB. Check out the downloads at www.sharkwater.com
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

eol

Last edited by gunsnreels; 02-12-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: unrelated