Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Support A Proposed Fishing Regulation Change For Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes?
Yes 94 68.12%
No 27 19.57%
Don't Care 17 12.32%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

sun wrote....

Your assumption that there are loads of big fish in the lakes already is not shown in gill netting data. There was not a large number caught in UKL so your assumption is wrong. There were only 50 rainbows measured in the LKL that were large. The lakes show they can grow them big...but harvest is quick.

How deep of water were the nets placed? how many times a year and for how many years were the netting done to have a proper analysis done? How many different areas of the lake were the nets put in? Were those big fish released unharmed?

Ok, just an edit, I looked at your data that you use. Way too flawed to get anywhere near a fair estimate on the fish sizes in those lakes. I move to have that flawed data exempt from these talks and your petition.

I would say your assumptions are wrong and with flawed data.

Our fisheries budget gets smaller every year. One indicator that with more rules and regs and less spending on quality lakes, they dont need the money to enhance them, theyre doing it all on thier own, with less spending.

You also wrote....
I disagree that we need to stocking more...stocking implies an over harvest and an unsustainable fishery.

Theres not a fishery in Canada that is sustainable. Overharvest happens everywhere! So as many other provinces see it, stocking is the only way to go.

Alberta has done enough testing and fiddling with our fisheries. All to be proven to be the wrong approach. Take some examples from other provinces and spend money and raise enforcement.

Why dont we all band together and petition for more money and enforcement. Theres no way in Hades you will get quality anywhere in this province without it!

Start there, and in a few years, i'm sure everyone will sign your petition with no "nays" on the poll.

STEELHEAD

Last edited by steelhead; 01-09-2011 at 12:23 PM.