Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Default Camping/fishing on Kootenay lake.

Going out after the last long weekend of summer and looking for a place to set up camp. Heading out with a truck, camper and boat, so a place with a boat launch at the very least to a full service marina and full service campground. I was interested in Kokanee Creek P.P.

I have never been here before so some insight from users here would be great!

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM

I grew up on that lake. There's good fishing to be had at any of the creek mouths around the lake especially by boat. Kokanee P.P is alright, but the fishing is better up toward the north end of the lake. Kaslo has a full service marina, as does Woodbury (at least they used to). There are some big ass Rainbow Trout in that lake, and the Dolly Varden are usually hanging around river mouths. Big lead jigs with lots of hair are the trick for the dolly's.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Cool daviande, thanks! Any recomendations on a camp site?

Anyone else?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Many camp sites are first come first serve but in general, I'd set up shop anywhere between Kaslo and Balfour. Woodbury is central so to speak. The largest population of Rainbows on the lake is usually out the west arm from Balfour and between Kootenay bay and Crawford bay. Coffee creek powerlines can be good. The chimnies can be good. Woodbury, Ainsworth... all can be great. But the key word is 'can'. It's not an easy fishery but the rewards can be amazing if you put in the time. Gotta be in the right spot at the right time.

I know a guide there. Only 1 rainbow over 20 lbs he ever caught out of over 200 was near shore. hint hint. But there are alot of smaller ones at creek mouths.