Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Default trout fishing at cold lake.

i have always wanted to try for lakers at cold lake, if any of you know the skinny on whether or not it's worth a 3 hour drive please fill me in.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM

If you want to catch a lake trout through the ice it is worth the trip. use big airplane jigs, bucktails, glowin the dark jigheads and yum body with a herring ,chovie or smelt. fish 50 to 100 yards from anybody else, fish the full water column, drop to the bottom jig 10/15 minutes,reel up jig, reel up jig. continue drop back to bottom.caught 2, three ft under the ice over 80 ft of water, did they follow up or were they crusing there for tulibee?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

This was mine last year ! Leaving this sat again .
Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 PM

That cant be a lake trout looks more like a perch. never seen one that big though, is that typical for cold lake?????
Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 AM

I personally have seen bigger through the ice and on the cannon ball in the summer on Cold Lake.That is a good size fish but not uncommon up here.Depending on what part of lake you fish,10- 12 lb is my average for a season.Some up in the 18lb range, some in the 2-4 lb range, all kinds of factors and definately luck.Nice fish!!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Default cold lake

looks like it might be worth the drive, any hints on where to go once you get there
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Default sat cold lake

Well I got skunked once again at Cold Lake...that lake has my number as this was trip three (first this year) that I have gone and not caught one. Each time a group member has gotten one though.

This time was the closest though...I had a very heavy fish on in my first 20-30 mins but he broke my swivel after a good fight. That was a first for me...I couldn't move the fish. I will be back!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 PM

I'm trying to plan out a trip up there. Actually, I cant resist!! But I know so little about targeting them, through the ice. I've only caught one laker in my life!! When is a good time of year to go? I gotta check the regs buit was thinking about march for some slightly longer days. Thoughts?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Well I got skunked once again at Cold Lake...that lake has my number as this was trip three (first this year) that I have gone and not caught one. Each time a group member has gotten one though.

This time was the closest though...I had a very heavy fish on in my first 20-30 mins but he broke my swivel after a good fight. That was a first for me...I couldn't move the fish. I will be back!!!!
Shed I feel your pain !! I have had my share of skunks there as have some of the fishin' budz. Have to "pay your dues" there, eh? Your time will come though, hang in there! It's addictive fighting a big fish through the ice out there isn't it? At the beginning of the season last year I tagged into a TANK. After an absolute wrestling match I managed to get him to the bottom of the ice, where he unceremoniously and smooth as velvet popped the hook out on the bottom of the hole . I will NEVER forget the feeling of that fish's power though, it keeps me going back once or twice a season, ya know? You know.

You'll get 'em eventually!

Ayr.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 PM

I have heard that some of the lakers have lesions this year. Some were taken to biologists to review.

Is this a natural disease? Should we be alarmed?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I'm trying to plan out a trip up there. Actually, I cant resist!! But I know so little about targeting them, through the ice. I've only caught one laker in my life!! When is a good time of year to go? I gotta check the regs buit was thinking about march for some slightly longer days. Thoughts?
Hey Fp,

There are some local experts out there on this board, maybe they will chime in, but I will throw out a couple of pointers, just know that I am no expert at that lake!

Access at the PP, drive to the herd of trucks, find a reasonable space to park and set-up. Have a medium heavy to heavy rod with LOTS of line on it, and tie a white jig to it 1/2 oz-2oz. or so, attach fish (smelt, anchovie, large minnow etc.) to it, down she goes. Find bottom jig for a bit reel ten rotations, jig for a bit. Repeat maybe 5-6 times, back to bottom. Repeat, repeat. If you get lucky, a hit, maybe a couple. If you are fishing with electronics, you can be more measured with where in the column you are jigging based on where the fish are showing up.

There are some experts who can go out there and catch fish consistently (that's not me !), hopefully they'll throw you some tips or pm you some gems, but short of that, I hope that my "weekend warrior" suggestions will help point you in the right direction.

Good luck if you go!

Ayr.

Last edited by Ayr; 02-09-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Thanks Ayr,

Oh I'll be going. And jigging like a mad man! I'll make a multi day trip too, and see who all i can drag out. I think skykomish sunrise will be down.

I don't mind finding things out the hard way, gives a little more of a sence of pride when you meet with success. But I'm next to a virgin when it comes to lakers so I'ma have to put in some study time here. When is the best times to go after lakers? I typicaly go for eye's so I'm used to getting there in the dark and then leaving in the dark. But if they arn't big on either morning or evening bites I may not push myself as hard as normal sleep wise. For electronics i have an underwater cam which likely wont do in those depths. But my portable fish finder is awsum when the fish alarm is on. Especialy in the deeper water. Shouldn't the lakers be getting into generally more shallow water as we approach spring? Thanks for all the info fellas. Also anyone have any suggestions as to a place to stay? PP or cabins or something?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Default timing

From what I saw they bite all day long.... and most were fishing in 80-120 feet of water.

The only problem with going on at first light and staying late is that the lake is huge. Lots of ice ridges and snow drifts. Have a strong buddy and two shovels! We had to help one guy that was stuck plus saw several other trucks stuck. I would not drive on that lake in the dark unless I knew where I was going.

I will be back...already planning the next trip even though as I was driving off the lake I said I would never return!!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM

I have posted several times on where to go,(roughly), what to use, water depth, etc, ...I live in Cold Lake, have fished it for 6 years, 100+ times a year.The lake is massive and if you do not get off the main path then the chances of catching the big guys gets tougher, way less pressure and better all round conditions to catch fish elsewhere.Not to say that you cant tie into a 15lber on the main path out to Garnet, just that most locals have their spots, tough access or not, that is usually where we will fish, summer or winter.Dont come up here with a small car and expect to hit the hot spots by driving out, odds are, you will be stuck 50 ft from the shore, see it all the time.Bring a quad or snow machine, by far the best bet to get around.I personally hardly ever fish in/around that main path on the lake,there are very few fish there in the summer actually, most people that live here, (that I know anyway) rairly fish in that area.I have put fellow fishermen from this board right on my GPS marks and still some days the fish do not bite, others,in 15 minutes,you can C/R 6 fish.The trip to Cold Lake is long from the city, I know, I travel it all the time just to get a decent meal or to shop at Costco.My advice is to come up here with good gear, good electronics, (vexilar) and keep punching holes close to the main hord but far enough away till you find the drop offs on the opposite sides of all the flats.The odds are if you see 4 vehicles within 50m and 1 truck is 100 m away by himself, he is on the edges.The main problem I see is that most people that come up here to fish are simply to shallow.There are all kinds of humps just like the one on the big trail from the provincial park.Most people fish right on it in 80-90 ft of water.Fish on the edges, most of the lakers hang on the drop offs not the flats.The odd fish will be taken on the flats but most will be and are caught on the edges dropping off.A little googling can tell you that lakers like certain things, eating is one of them and they usually do it all day.Put what they want, ("BIG" white jig head with a tube jig or Mr Twister type artifical bait tipped with a herring or smelt) , drop it to the bottom, put it right in front of them (120-150ft of water) and jig.If you have the depth, the bait and good gear, fishing at 8 AM is similiar to fishing at 3PM, the bite never stops.With a little prep work done before coming up here, most usually land the 10lb fish.Dont get frustrated,its big lake, just respect the fish and be aware of the regs
Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 PM

I had convinced my wife and rug rats to make the drive from Calgary for the Family Day weekend until they saw the forecast

I've been planning this trip for some weeks and surfing the forums for info on this lake so needless to say I'm disappointed. I don't mind the cold but the challenge of an unknown lake plus two and half tank of gas, a day trip is just not worth it. Thanks Tyee33 and Ayr for posting your tips - I WILL use them one day.

Last edited by uicehole; 02-10-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Default ice conditions?

Hoping to go out tomrrow for one last time. It was good Saturday but it has been windy..just wondering if a guy could get around good. I am hoping to do some exploring but we will only be one truck.
S