Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
jrs

Default McVinnie Res??

Has this lake been taken over by walleye? (its down by Picture Butte). I was just looking through Barry Mitchells and noticed it says walleye are getting in. I took a look on the FMIS site after and saw a whole pile were netted last time the lake was checked out. Used to be a good trout lake, would be a shame if it just becomes a small walleye fishery. The biggest walleye I've ever seen was in that canal, i was just out for a walk in the spring and thought a big pike had washed up. It was a well over 30'' long walleye, coyotes had chewed it up a bit but i could still see it had good girth.
Just wondering how its fairing or if its been drained or anything to get rid of them.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 AM

jrs, I drive by the sign for McVinnie many time a week, and have always wondered what was in there for fish.

A couple of questions for you.
Is there an actual day use area? Tables, boat launch, 'facilities'?

Does it usually do well in the ice season? Would it be worth the drive from Calgary? If you can suggest anything else for the area, I would appreciate it.

John.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 AM

I fish there quite in both the summer and winter and have never even seen a sign of walleye in the lake. We have had cameras down there for ice fishing and searched the lake and all I have ever seen is trout. I can't see there being to many if any at all. I guess I will have to get my walleye gear out and do some search to be positive on this.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM

I have fished there many times and have only caught Trout myself.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
jrs

Thanks for the input guys, i guess the walleye must not be too thick then, good to hear.

"jrs, I drive by the sign for McVinnie many time a week, and have always wondered what was in there for fish.

A couple of questions for you.
Is there an actual day use area? Tables, boat launch, 'facilities'?

Does it usually do well in the ice season? Would it be worth the drive from Calgary? If you can suggest anything else for the area, I would appreciate it."

I never ice fished that lake, just fly fishing for rainbows in the spring before the weeds got thick (and when most the mountain lakes and streams are still iced up). I'd say that lakes not worth the trip for just fishing, i spent lots of time in the area so it was only 30 minutes out of the way sort of thing. What do you want to catch in that area and what facilities are you looking for? I can definitely point you the right way in that regard. I can't remember what facilities McVinnie has though, i just fished there so never noticed how well established the day use area was. Not big enough for a real boat, its just a little trout pond basically. I know of some decent day use areas further south otherwise. What kind of place are you looking for?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 PM

I live 20 minutes from McVinney and i do not do well there in winter. Last fall i caught a couple of 15-18 inch rainbows after 6 hours of fishing. As for facilities out there, there is only a small parking lot, and someone had destroyed one of the 2 outhouses. There is no tables etc, the lake area is gated so you have to park and walk the lake. No boat launch, as the lake is small and we carry our pontoons to the shore. Not worth the drive from Calgary.