Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
There are no Lake Trout in LKL. Never stocked with Lake Trout. They stocked Rainbows a long time ago...now they stock Cutts. Bull Trout is Alberta Provincial fish and an awesome fish to catch. Lots of fun. They are native to these lakes but over fishing almost wiped them out. Through careful conservation and zero catch limits they came back. Some stocking occurred just to help a bit with natural reproduction but it is not a regular event now or in the future. As they are so easy to catch... that over exploitation is still possible hense the current regs. You are not getting many supporting bull trout on this thread as they are secretive of the fun this fishery provides.

UKL and LKL are both currently put and take lakes. Your statement to the contrary is false. Look at the regulations. The future regulations are still 100% put and take. The plan however is for folks such as yourself and show a little patience and let the trout grow for a few years before harvest. It makes little sense to stock a trout and then harvest it tomorrow. The gas alone costs more than buying the fish at the grocery store. Therefore...why not appreciate taking bigger trout and having a great recreational sport fishing experience.

Having patience does not mean you have to wait every year...for once we establish regular stocking programs we will have a constant yearly supply of larger trout to bonk if wanted.

The current regulations are 12 inch...I am not sure how you could possibly call that trophy and catch and release. The improved regulations would be 20 inch. 20 inch rainbow are not trophy sized. These lakes grow fish over 30 inches...over 10 lbs. The only reason 20 inch fish seem monsterous in Alberta is because current regs promote instant harvest. A little patience goes a long ways insofar as letting mother nature grow the trout versus a commercial feed pellet. As catch rates have gone up dramatically...I question you logic as to why things are so bad. Fishing here will go from fair to great with the implemented new regs.

I know it may be hard to think a few years in advance as often we live in the here and now but have patience...growing fish bigger is a really good thing. While they grow...you can still catch them and put em back to grow bigger.

Cheers

Sun
My Father exercises a staggered fishing approach which makes a lot of sense and something in this thread reminded me of it. For example, this year he will fish only lakes a,b and c, next year d,e and f, the following year lake g and h, then the next year back to a,b and c. He also instilled in me a limit within a limit of both fish size and quantity.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

I don't believe it has been mentioned yet, But people need to realize it would only be the first few years you would probably not be able to take a fish home.

Stocking #1 - 1st year
Stocking #2 - 2nd year
Stocking #3 3rd year
Stocking #4 and now stocking #1 is at keep size
Stocking #5 And now stocking #2 is at Keep size.
So on and so forth

See the trend?
Now of course my figures are rough as I do not know the growth to age ratio but people can get the jist of my message.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTW View Post
I don't believe it has been mentioned yet, But people need to realize it would only be the first few years you would probably not be able to take a fish home.

Stocking #1 - 1st year
Stocking #2 - 2nd year
Stocking #3 3rd year
Stocking #4 and now stocking #1 is at keep size
Stocking #5 And now stocking #2 is at Keep size.
So on and so forth

See the trend?
Now of course my figures are rough as I do not know the growth to age ratio but people can get the jist of my message.
True enough...however the trout surviving previous stockings before Stocking #1 will grow in size prior to that date...so there will be some to harvest in the interim period. While many will be harvested before the rules at a smaller size...the remaining survivors will grow!

Cheers

Sun
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM

hunter49 and 75ft arborist: Are Cutthroats not an acceptable replacement for rainbows? They are very close genetically and easier to catch. What is the problem with them?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
True enough...however the trout surviving previous stockings before Stocking #1 will grow in size prior to that date...so there will be some to harvest in the interim period. While many will be harvested before the rules at a smaller size...the remaining survivors will grow!

Cheers

Sun
Ya, I was just trying to help out your proposal man. Haha
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 AM

It will be at least 3 years of Catch and Release then by the 4 year it will be dirty and over crowded but we will have a "Quality Fishery"
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM

mr. sundance sir -- like other poster i am 1 that read's and never respond's.
u have shown class and are a true fisher-person with knowledge of today and the future. u took fishermom's kid out as she never stop's to say thks .If that did not make u smile wow increadable. am a watcher and check out site daily( 1 of those watcher's not talker's ) but had to respond
u are a good man will sign though never fished kananaskis upper or lower .
keep up the good work and take care.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfloatin View Post
It will be at least 3 years of Catch and Release then by the 4 year it will be dirty and over crowded but we will have a "Quality Fishery"
jusfloatin...

If you truly think that these regulations will so drastically increase crowding and litter than clearly by your own admission you feel these regulations will be a huge success and welcomed by all those that will be fishing there. I applaud you for this endorsement.

I challenge you then Sir to step up your game like I do and lead by example in keeping not just this park but all parks clean. Don't be afraid to pack other peoples garbage out. People keep places clean that are clean. I also challenge you to take advantage of our many AOF friendships and participate in car poolings whenever possible to alleviate any traffic congestion concerns. Also I hope that maybe the small businesses out there will see some benefits. I like helping small businesses especially if providing a service that benefits fishermen!

As for waiting for awesome fishing...if that was the complete truth...you betcha I will do that. If you feel that these regulations are not warranted...then that means by your logic there are tons of trout remaining to be caught versus our premise for these regulations stating many trout get vacuumed out before having a change to grow to a more challenging and larger table eating size. Or as you mentioned before...you just love catching 12 inch trout. There are plenty of places to still do that...but super limited locations to improve a fishery so dramatically as this simple regulation change will do.

Anyways...if you are correct and there are still lots of trout left...then in fact 20 inchers will be available in 1 or 2 years versus 4. Still I suppose if 4 is the right number...then I will just have to suffer through years of excellent fishing putting 12, 14, 16, 18 inch cutthroats back to grow until they reach harvestable size. Delaying harvest is a smart use of natures resources and our taxes.

Cheers

Sun

P.S. Stay warm this weekend.. Brrrrrrrr.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 PM

260 signatures so far.

Many people are taking the few minutes to sign which is great.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Bump

Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Summer Creel Survey

Trout Unlimited, with funding from the Fish and Wildlife Division of Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, has an employment opportunity for a person to conduct a creel survey on Upper Kananaskis Lake on weekends and holidays from late May to the end of September 2011. This person will be responsible for interviewing anglers to obtain information on: 1) time spent fishing, 2) numbers, sizes and species of fish caught and 3) measuring lengths of harvested fish. In addition, the person will provide information to anglers regarding identification of the sport fish in the lake and the proposed fishing regulation changes for Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes

Well they've found their man and this survey is currently being conducted Saturdays and Sundays at Upper Kananaskis throughout the summer. Nice guy, I've chatted with him a few times already.

http://www.aspb.ab.ca/jobs/show/772

Dace
Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Trout Unlimited, with funding from the Fish and Wildlife Division of Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, has an employment opportunity for a person to conduct a creel survey on Upper Kananaskis Lake on weekends and holidays from late May to the end of September 2011. This person will be responsible for interviewing anglers to obtain information on: 1) time spent fishing, 2) numbers, sizes and species of fish caught and 3) measuring lengths of harvested fish. In addition, the person will provide information to anglers regarding identification of the sport fish in the lake and the proposed fishing regulation changes for Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes

Well they've found their man and this survey is currently being conducted Saturdays and Sundays at Upper Kananaskis throughout the summer. Nice guy, I've chatted with him a few times already.

Dace

I have done that type of job before. It is funny how some people look worried as the approach in their boat...seeing someone official with a clip board.

Then when you tell them you are just asking questions...they look relieved.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post

Dace
I met the guy too and he was super friendly. Dace, do you know what they're doing with the information? From my understanding, they're collecting the data to evaluate whether or not to continue stocking the 12 inch fish or go back to stocking smaller fish (12 inch fish being much more expensive to stock). I'm just not sure how the data (# of fish caught, size, adipose fin, time spent fishing) factors into whether the 12 inch stocking is successful.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Sundance, how does this petition work? Is there a cut off time where someone officially sends in the petition? Do we need an "x" number of signatures before it can be put forth?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM

I spoke with the guy doing the study as well when I was out there a week ago. He said he was very surprised at the number of people that support the "quality" idea. He thought people would be mad at not being able to keep the smaller fish.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
Sundance, how does this petition work? Is there a cut off time where someone officially sends in the petition? Do we need an "x" number of signatures before it can be put forth?
The purpose of the petition is only to get the government biologists to evaluate the potential...they obviously saw enough interest and now will look at all the variables they normally look at when assessing regulation changes.

Part of that is clearly identifying users at the lake. I say it never hurts to sign the petition or email F&W with your support.

The petition was never to make it happen instantaneously. It is a process...like any government process.

Still if anyone can ever get a job doing a creel census...do it...especially an awesome location like Upper K.