Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
Let kids be kids and have snotty noses. Build immune systems.
You obviously have no life at all, and the maturity of a three year old. You really are not wanted here. You weren't wanted the first five times you were banned either. Nothing has changed. You are likely the most disliked poster AO has ever had. Really.

Last edited by sns2; 09-21-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
👍🏻
Herd immunity doesn’t work https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.heal...r-covid-19/amp
I’ll thank you very much for not risking my kids health with you ill-informed ideas.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Herd immunity doesn’t work https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.heal...r-covid-19/amp
I’ll thank you very much for not risking my kids health with you ill-informed ideas.
Take a look at Sweden.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
As I already said... tested each time I display symptoms and if it comes back negative then I have to wait until symptoms subside on their own before coming back.

Is that any different from your workplace? Everyone I know has the same policy at their workplace.
In my school division it's as follows

Return to work when cleared to do so:
o After a negative COVID-19 test result.
o After 10 days of self-isolation following the start of symptoms or with a Doctor’s note.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Just circling back and trying to be an optimist..... apparently in many southern hemisphere countries that are over their "winter" are reporting the mildest flu season in years. It turns out that all the measures we are doing during this pandemic are very effective at fighting the flu as well. I don't know how a southern hemisphere flu season is compared to our colder winters but I'm at least a little hopeful that this flu season will be a non factor is the overall picture.

I think this relaunch of school will be a very valuable real world experiment on the effects of Presenteeism (going to work while sick). In years past I'm guilty as charged when it comes to going to work while sick, I only miss work if I can't hold food down. I send my kids to school with runny noses and a cold because that was accepted as normal. Part of it is because like many in blue collar industries, I don't get paid sick days. Many argue that presenteeism costs companies more than if you just paid sick workers to stay home. This fall will essentially be the first time in our lifetimes that we cannot go to work while sick.

I will be sent home if I show up sick in any way. My kids already have been home several days each and I expect more of the same. But maybe one unexpected but good outcome will be less spread of the regular flu. When in years past when the flu would decimate the plant and half of us are running on fumes just trying to make the day, maybe this year less people will catch the flu and everyone who is at work will be more or less healthy and not sick. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:12 PM

"My kid is home with the sniffles right now. We believe it’s because the farmers are doing the fields. No other symptoms." The quote from "Tinda wolf".

Every September my son got sick or not feeling well. Flu like symptom. Hockey tryouts. Eventually we figured it was contributed to the farmers taking their crops off and the wind blowing in the wrong direction. Took a couple years. It happens though. New frickin normal
Old 09-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
Let kids be kids and have snotty noses. Build immune systems.
Took my 6 year old out bird hunting came home with a runny nose. So being a good parent I am. I told the teacher instantly.

So now with his time off school we are going back out hunting
Old 09-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
Take a look at Sweden.
Yeah, not as rosy a picture as they like to present!
https://www.newscientist.com/article...success-story/
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
👍🏻
This
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM

So Roadhunter

What do you suggest should happen?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-21-2020, 09:43 PM
Banned

I just got an email saying my boy is negative for covid. Hay fever just like his pops
Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 PM

Great to hear! Sucks it happened.

Back at er!

Anti histamines are great for hay fever.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
As I already said... tested each time I display symptoms and if it comes back negative then I have to wait until symptoms subside on their own before coming back.
Is that any different from your workplace? Everyone I know has the same policy at their workplace.
Exactly right. We are in a global pandemic, folks. No matter what your position in society (including students) if you have symptoms, you need to get tested and stay home. If you don't understand that, then you're part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@rn@ge
Take a look at Sweden.
Yes, let's take a look at Sweden. They did nothing and now they are 13th in the WORLD for per-capita deaths, with well in excess of twice as many deaths per million as Canada, and nearly as many as Mexico, Italy, and the American states.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor

Last edited by alacringa; 09-21-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
Agreed. Enough of this Bull Crap. Kids get the sniffles all the time. Not sure how we are just supposed to drop all other aspects of life anytime my kid has a runny nose. To hell with it all.
If your kid, and your famiy, and their peers are all following the guidelines (regular handwashing/sanitizing, no physical contact with others or with personal items, mask wearing at all times, 2m distancing...then the risk of "sniffles" should be reduced to nearly 0. Sadly many students (at least in my MS context) come from families where AHS guidelines are treated more as a joke than as public safety info. It only works if everyone follows the rules.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-21-2020, 10:54 PM
Banned

A week ago a friend of mine had his kid sent home due to a runny nose. The husband, wife and two daughters had to get tested and quarantine until they got the results. The kid with the runny nose tested negative, as well as husband and wife, but the other kid tested positive.....asymptomatic? The whole family is now in quarantine.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:14 AM

The 👍🏻 Was for right great answer. In some circumstances it’s ok for kid’s to be kid’s but in the stance we’re in nowadays maybe the runny nose will accompanied with fever in a short time.

The thumbs up wasn’t an approval of the answer. I apologize.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM

It's interesting that BC now removed runny noses and sore throat from their list of symptoms for covid. I bet Alberta will follow suit.

I know this is a "developing pandemic", but the amount of misinformation/miscommunication/etc from "experts" is getting rediculous. There's no consistency, and I think that's what everyone is sick of. I will (and do) follow the rules, but am quite frustrated at how this is playing out. There's to much fear mongering... Our society would be such a mess if this was truly a deadly pandemic (no disrespect intended, but I'm still waiting for numbers of covid deaths w/o pre-existing conditions).

I mean there has to be some leaway with symptoms or else we'll never get past this. Our family went thru the process first week of school, so kid was in school for 1 day then had a sore throat the next day. We knew it was from camping sept long in cold weather/rain, but we followed protocol, as soon as we got results (-) and no symptoms back to school. But it's going to be a ****show soon as flu season comes in.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's interesting that BC now removed runny noses and sore throat from their list of symptoms for covid. I bet Alberta will follow suit.

I know this is a "developing pandemic", but the amount of misinformation/miscommunication/etc from "experts" is getting rediculous. There's no consistency, and I think that's what everyone is sick of. I will (and do) follow the rules, but am quite frustrated at how this is playing out. There's to much fear mongering... Our society would be such a mess if this was truly a deadly pandemic (no disrespect intended, but I'm still waiting for numbers of covid deaths w/o pre-existing conditions).

I mean there has to be some leaway with symptoms or else we'll never get past this. Our family went thru the process first week of school, so kid was in school for 1 day then had a sore throat the next day. We knew it was from camping sept long in cold weather/rain, but we followed protocol, as soon as we got results (-) and no symptoms back to school. But it's going to be a ****show soon as flu season comes in.
Why is it ridiculous?? As you yourself state it's a developing pandemic of which we have no specific experience.
So the two options are:
-err on the side of caution and then ease up on restrictions when proper to do so.
-do nothing and hope for the best...and if it turns out real bad cry afterwords.
Uhhhh...I'll take number one, please and thank you.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

Same policy at our workplaces, both unionized, non-unionized, office or field both in Canada and the US .......and every business unit. It's all pretty much the same policy.

That's what has to happen ......... what can you do ......... it makes the most sense for now based on recommendations and current guidelines.

Keep in mind companies (and educational institutions) can and will be held accountable for not taking prescribed actions and face liability - they have no choice. They need to exercise precaution and protect themselves as much as they protect the workers (or students).
Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Taking sniffles off the list would be a good start
Old 09-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous?? As you yourself state it's a developing pandemic of which we have no specific experience.
So the two options are:
-err on the side of caution and then ease up on restrictions when proper to do so.
-do nothing and hope for the best...and if it turns out real bad cry afterwords.

I think that the first option is much easier for those that are working and have kids old enough to stay home by themselves. It's would be a huge strain financially for those who need to stay home with their kids, as not everyone's employer is all that understanding and the bills still need to be paid. Fortunately we have a kid old enough to do online learning/stay home alone if necessary.

In my case, I was declared essential and didn't miss a shift, while my wife on the other hand was off for two months. The financial aspect for us was manageable and quite insignificant compared to many others. I would not like to be in their shoes, as financial strain brings on a host of other issues. The ongoing changing of the rules must be very frustrating for many.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
So the two options are:
It has nothing to do with your options, #1 is the only answer. But who is deciding when "proper to do so" is? And why? That's my issue See below.

It's ridiculous because the restrictions are inconsistent. Why is one province removing symptoms and not the other? Better experts? Different information? Political optics? You'd think these "experts" would be consulting and sharing information regularly. Why do some schools allow kids to remove masks while seated (w/o proper social distancing)? Inconsistent

I get it.. Albertans are more important than bc'ers, but still..
wait, yes, let's let BC be the scapegoat. He'll let's send the first batch of vaccines there as well.😄
Old 09-22-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
So the two options are:
You must also factor in the financial and employment implications of sending kids home. Many people don't get paid when they have to take time off when their kid gets sent home. I also know of an employer that made his layoff list by anyone that uttered Covid and the possibility of having to stay home with kids.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
I think this relaunch of school will be a very valuable real world experiment on the effects of Presenteeism (going to work while sick). In years past I'm guilty as charged when it comes to going to work while sick, I only miss work if I can't hold food down. I send my kids to school with runny noses and a cold because that was accepted as normal. Part of it is because like many in blue collar industries, I don't get paid sick days. Many argue that presenteeism costs companies more than if you just paid sick workers to stay home. This fall will essentially be the first time in our lifetimes that we cannot go to work while sick.
My wife suffers from chronic sinus infections throughout most of the year. As she's an elementary teacher we always suspected that her job was a factor but the last six months have shown that it might actually be the ONLY factor. She hasn't had any problems at all since March, nothing at all.

Sending little Timmy to school with the sniffles might look like it saves a parent some money up front but all they are doing is shifting the cost onto the rest of us. Monthly doctor's visits, endless prescriptions, substitute teachers etc. I would love to see stats on how many teachers have similar problems and just how much less healthcare they needed this year. Never mind that the whole reason Timmy got sick in the first place was that Johnny's parents did the same thing last week.

You want to know why so many Asian countries had better COVID outcomes that we did? They don't mess around with this.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
My wife suffers from chronic sinus infections throughout most of the year. As she's an elementary teacher we always suspected that her job was a factor but the last six months have shown that it might actually be the ONLY factor. She hasn't had any problems at all since March, nothing at all.

Sending little Timmy to school with the sniffles might look like it saves a parent some money up front but all they are doing is shifting the cost onto the rest of us. Monthly doctor's visits, endless prescriptions, substitute teachers etc. I would love to see stats on how many teachers have similar problems and just how much less healthcare they needed this year. Never mind that the whole reason Timmy got sick in the first place was that Johnny's parents did the same thing last week.

You want to know why so many Asian countries had better COVID outcomes that we did? They don't mess around with this.

I know a pile of elementary teachers, and this is and has been an occupational hazard for ever, nothing new here. There is a difference between sending little Timmy to school with the sniffles for a couple of days vs being forced to stay home from work from 10-14 days. If hand sanitizers and masks work as well as claimed and are not really an inconvenience to wear, there shouldn't really be any issues with educators becoming sick. (Sarcasm alert)

In the end we all pay anyway, if said parents can't be bringing home the income, they will be looking to the government for assistance. Where does the government get the money from?

As far as Asian countries go regarding COVID outcomes, much of it was due to the choice to completely close their borders, those at high-risk with underlying conditions actually stayed at home, many countries had regimes that were able to force the populace to stay in their homes for weeks, and likely there were/are many instances of under-reporting or no reporting.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You must also factor in the financial and employment implications of sending kids home. Many people don't get paid when they have to take time off when their kid gets sent home. I also know of an employer that made his layoff list by anyone that uttered Covid and the possibility of having to stay home with kids.
Yup I get it, I’ve been on 1/2 time ( and pay ) since this all started.
Is the extra money more important than your kid coming home and possibly infecting someone in you family that has medical issues and causes their death?
Of course most will say they are willing to chance it... til it happens to them.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post

I really hope this causes school boards to reevaluate how classes and schools are cleaned. IMO, most schools are kept neat and tidy, but they simply aren't cleaned well enough or regularly enough. For example, a typical class has between 20-30 kids in it daily and the walls are cleaned once a year. Custodians spend a lot more time dusting, than actually cleaning.

We really might learn a few things from COVID, I'm hoping this is one of them.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:43 PM

My main beef with this is that the schools and both judge and jury of your child’s health. No teacher is going to know your child’s health conditions better then the parents. I’m in the position with my kids allergies (currently sent home) that I’m going to need a Dr notes says his sniffles are a pre existing condition. As the minute outside on the grass and the nose runs. I personally think at some point seeing a class action lawsuit for the parent lost wage/ economic hardship due to sniffles coming about.
I would really like to see the number of kids tested for Covid due to sniffles to actual positive cases. I would bet it’s lower then the death rate of Covid.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:51 PM

Default Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
My main beef with this is that the schools and both judge and jury of your child’s health. No teacher is going to know your child’s health conditions better then the parents. I’m in the position with my kids allergies (currently sent home) that I’m going to need a Dr notes says his sniffles are a pre existing condition. As the minute outside on the grass and the nose runs. I personally think at some point seeing a class action lawsuit for the parent lost wage/ economic hardship due to sniffles coming about.
I would really like to see the number of kids tested for Covid due to sniffles to actual positive cases. I would bet it’s lower then the death rate of Covid.
So yea..... we conference with parents on this stuff. Reasonable conversations happen.... so glad you assumed they didn’t.

At least this is what happens here.

How in the world can you not. E in the position to get a docs note...? Really?

Class action lawsuit.... lol.

Let’s stay in the realm of realistic please.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Sorry, if you know your kid has allergies and dust sets him off, why would you have not gotten a doctor's note so you could communicate this to the school and his/her teachers???

You also got copious amounts of information at the beginning of the school year in paper and electronic form with a DAILY health inventory that came from AHS. Use the damn thing or your kid's entire school may be shut down.

You and all the other people whining about your kid being sent home need to get over yourself and realize that your kid, if sick, could spread it to others, including older people, or those with pre-existing conditions who could well die.

I get a real kick out of some of you who throw around the term snowflake. The biggest snowflakes I know are the ones who whine on this forum about the inconvenience of having to wear a mask or look after your kid if they are showing symptoms of a disease that can kill.

Bizarre.

BTW, I have sent two kids home in the last couple days whose parents obviously couldn't give a rat's rip about others, and sent their kids to school with Covid symptoms. I will continue to do it all year too. I don't need to be a doctor to diagnose when a kid is telling me what they are sick with.

Last edited by sns2; 09-22-2020 at 05:23 PM.