Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Default good salmon rod?

hi guys just wanted some opinions on whats a good rod for skeena shore fishing for king salmon ill be casting an 8oz weight with a spin n glow has anyone tried a kufa rod?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 AM

Best way to find out is to call Northcoast Anglers in Terrace. tel 250-635-6496. I have not gone for about 5 years now but these people always seemed helpful and never pushy. You don't want to cheap out. I once caught a 50 and my tackle didn't break but it puts a real strain on both you and your tackle.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Something else I found is that an 8 oz weight was too light to hold in the current. Pretty sure I used to use the 10 oz and the square ones seemed to hold better than the pyramid ones. Depends on river flow and wether you cast or bottom bounce. I had way better luck anchoring and bottom bouncing using green and silver spin n glows but you need a heavy anchor and have to be very careful as the skeena has no foregiveness.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 AM

Smile

I was up north a few years ago on the way to the Charlottes. I was amazed at the size of the Skeena. What a massive river. I had lived up there as a kid. But I was too small to remember just how large the river is. No damn wonder it has some of the best salmon fishing in the world.

I haven't tried the Kufa rods. I looked at their specs on their rods. The only one that looks like it could even come close to handling what the Skeena will toss at it would be the KC casting rods. Even they only go up to 8oz max.
KC04-1062 10’6” 10-25lb line 3~8oz lure wt.

Your going to be fishing from shore. So you will have different gear than someone fishing from a boat. From a boat you could always use a sturgeon rod and plunk that weight right on the bottom. From shore though you'll have a heck of a time chucking 10oz of weight out there. Make damn sure you duck.

Rob
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM

There are lots of decent rods out there your going to want a 10'+ rod and a fair amount of back bone to it. There aren't many places where an 8oz is going to hold you in the current so be prepared to chuck 10+oz weights. It is a learned art to getting those weights out there and be prepared to lose some in the learning curve.
I have a Coldwater salmon/steelhead rod, I find it a little light for the big weights but it does handle it just have to make sure you don't over due it on the casting.

It is a blast when you hook into a big fish, but be ready for many hours of relaxing on the bank. Be safe and have fun.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 AM

Get one with a warranty. Speaking from first hand, I broke a rod , a Frasier king, I think. Oscars in Smithers replaced it even though it was purchased in Calgary.

More importantly, I can not say enough about having a very good casting reel. There is a reason everyone runs Ambassadeur reels up there.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
There are lots of decent rods out there your going to want a 10'+ rod and a fair amount of back bone to it. There aren't many places where an 8oz is going to hold you in the current so be prepared to chuck 10+oz weights. It is a learned art to getting those weights out there and be prepared to lose some in the learning curve.
I have a Coldwater salmon/steelhead rod, I find it a little light for the big weights but it does handle it just have to make sure you don't over due it on the casting.

It is a blast when you hook into a big fish, but be ready for many hours of relaxing on the bank. Be safe and have fun.
I've got the Coldwater also and found that it was good up to 10 oz., after that it could get sketchy. Good rod for the money though.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 AM

You might even want to look at surf rods. You can get some rated up to 10 or 12 ounces. This might be suited to your situation. The most common surf rod is used for '8 n bait' so its 8 ounces of lead and a large chunk of bait. Might be worth a look
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM

Well. I'd like to reply with some sorta useful knowledge but alas....Zarathustra has spoken. Upgrade ur line, push em outta line, n u'll do fine