Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 12:31 PM

Dramatically reducing non essential use of gloves in our household. Using Doggy Poop bags over our hands for things like filling gas tanks-followed by immediate use of hand sanitizer after dropping the bag in the trash by the pumps
Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Dramatically reducing non essential use of gloves in our household. Using Doggy Poop bags over our hands for things like filling gas tanks-followed by immediate use of hand sanitizer after dropping the bag in the trash by the pumps
I’m using sandwich baggies as disposable gloves.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:53 PM

I've got to climb into a septic tank this afternoon.
I think I'll wear gloves for that one.
Oh, the glamorous life I lead...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I've got to climb into a septic tank this afternoon.
I think I'll wear gloves for that one.
Oh, the glamorous life I lead...
We’re just in it for the adulation and the groupies!!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Order groceries online
Superstore is a week behind
I ordered from Walmart pick up on Thursday
Old 03-23-2020, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=HunterDave;4132917]
What I got out of it was unless your hands are raw from sanitizing them, latex gloves don't do anymore good than going bare hand./QUOTE]

I think I'm missing something here. If you wear gloves and take them off properly you will not have anything from the gas pump on your hands, including viruses. This seems like a good thing considering I can't wash my hands until I get back home.

How is everybody handling their credit cards?

If the person before you sneezed into their hand, took their credit card out of their wallet, and put the card into the gas pump, your card will pick up their viruses. I'm using a sani-wipe on the card before putting it in my jacket pocket and not touching the card with the finger I used to punch in my card PIN. Wondering what everyone else is doing.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Order groceries online
Superstore is a week behind
I ordered from Walmart pick up on Thursday
We did our first ever delivery from Superstore because my wife is high risk and tried to avoid bringing Covid home.-ordered last Wed-arrived supper time last night.
Never again. I will shop myself.Perhaps the others are better.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Well I had to go to wholesale club today..I swear that place is the worst for contamination. I don’t know why I feel that but even pre-Covid it gave me the creeps. So I wore latex gloves and took them off after loading everything into the cap of the truck. Tossed the gloves into the provided garbage.

Then I got home and looked at all the boxes and cans sand though “which one of you is going to have the virus that gets me?”

It’s so futile trying to actually be preventative.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I think I'm missing something here. If you wear gloves and take them off properly you will not have anything from the gas pump on your hands, including viruses. This seems like a good thing considering I can't wash my hands until I get back home.
Sure, if you have that many latex gloves to throw away. I have a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my truck.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM

We can't get hand sanitizer so we use a bleach and water solution in a spray bottle.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Went to Safeway yesterday, they had a gal at the door with a sanitizer spray, washing people's hands and spraying/wiping down handles on carts and hand carts as people came in with a cart or grabbed a hand cart.

You should still be cautious and wear gloves if possible. What they're doing is removing "some" of the risk but nowhere near enough to be called safe. Disinfectants require time to kill and if a surface isn't cleaned prior to the disinfection process then it doesn't accomplish much. Wash that basket handle or cart with a good detergent Then hit it with a disinfectant and allow good dwell time. That's safe.

As long as you're aware these carts and baskets are still carrying germs and take precautions.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
We can't get hand sanitizer so we use a bleach and water solution in a spray bottle.

On your hands? Jeez man. Hope you rinse really, really well afterwards.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Went to Safeway yesterday, they had a gal at the door with a sanitizer spray, washing people's hands and spraying/wiping down handles on carts and hand carts as people came in with a cart or grabbed a hand cart.
Same at Home Depot, you can only go in the store trough one set of doors, they will hand you a sanitized cart, even if you need just 1 bolt, this is how they can track how many people are in the store.

Shopping is not fun anymore, I think I have enough supplies now so at least I can tinker in my garage fo4 a while.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Shopping is not fun anymore, I think I have enough supplies now so at least I can tinker in my garage fo4 a while.
For years, every time I got to the hardware store for something I pick up extra (I hate making trips to town for one thing). I'm sure appreciating that now. The last couple of projects I have been able to do without having to buy lumber,steel,rod or hardware.

All these years of the wife calling me a packrat. I like to think she's eating those words (she actually hasn't noticed that I'm building without buying).
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 AM

Piker bleach best sanitizer, used in Biotec labs to kill all bugs. However keep concentration low as can be tough on hands.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:20 PM

Default Covid 19: Medical / Technical Thread / Doomsday Talk Allowed

Not gonna belabor this point. If you feel the need to post this kind of stuff let er rip. Other thread stays the same with no links, graphs, charts, studies, or doomsday talk. Regular forum rules will still apply on this thread. Post all the stuff you want, just don't put it in the other thread. Most of us know the seriousness of the disease, and don't want to be bombarded by this stuff, as we get it everywhere. Stay safe. Stay sane. Be gracious, it's tough times.

Last edited by sns2; 03-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Let me be the first to say” WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE” and zombies will roam the earth and eat our brains

Ok now that I got that out of my system have fun everyone
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM

Never bought into the corn'y thing as of yet.
It's something for sure, but it is not what we have been told.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:34 PM

Default dammit.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Let me be the first to say” WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE” and zombies will roam the earth and eat our brains

Ok now that I got that out of my system have fun everyone
ya beat me to it...!

this'll be my first visit to Costco after the Pandempocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkARs9CHaE
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Finally a thread where you can discuss this rather than filtered to be all roses and butterflies and discussion without data.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Can we all get an "Amen" what an Awesome job & Mod sns2 is Please?

I will go first
Amen !
(Please don't go anywhere anytime soon sns2)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Everyone make sure and try to support your local businesses as most will be lucky to come out of this. Economic impact is going to be much worse than the virus.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
ya beat me to it...!

this'll be my first visit to Costco after the Pandempocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkARs9CHaE
I thought that was every trip to Costco
Old 03-24-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Finally a thread where you can discuss this rather than filtered to be all roses and butterflies and discussion without data.
Doubt it will last long. The censoring is beyond compression...
Old 03-24-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Worry not & post away..
Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I agree. It won’t take long to become an arguing match like the original thread became. People that check in every now and again looking for someone to argue with. Hopefully they just stick to other thread.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Everyone make sure and try to support your local businesses as most will be lucky to come out of this. Economic impact is going to be much worse than the virus.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM

I was going to suggest a security thread, I think there's going to be a notable increase in criminal activity for at least the next while. Its not really ramped up quite yet but it will. I copied and edited this entry from one I made on CGN:

This report is from what I saw on Thursday, March 19th so its a bit stale, but it hit home for me in an ominously foreshadowing way. During the day, two of my service calls were for Calgary Police officers. I asked both of them what effect they were thinking the Covid crisis would have on the crime rate. One is a buddy and lives in Cochrane, he went so far as to invite me & my family to stay with his family if things go really south with society, and this dude is a detective. The other officer was quite pensive about what's in store, both are experienced officers with easily over 18 years each on the job.

Later the same evening, I went to the Canadian Tire @ Southland & Macleod and got a 30 mm optic mount and a few other bits. I noticed that CT staff were paying very close attention to some scumbags (neck tats, wearing hoodies and dressed like the cretins they are), the guys were checking out pry bars and sledgehammers, animating how they'd use them...... They eventually left after buying a taillight bulb. I was following with a replacement hickory shovel handle that I didn't buy to fix a shovel with...

Following this I went across the street to WalMart and got my purchases, upon leaving there were 5 homeless types having an argument in between the two sets of doors at the entrance. Then I went outside and about 30' from the door is a metal cabinet (perhaps the propane tank lockup?) , hanging out adjacent that were two more amped-up cretins, one of whom was holding up a pair of pants with the price tag still attached against the WalMart wall, he was taking photos of them, presumably to sell on Kijiji or FB marketplace, etc. The dirtbag was not even 35' from the door of the place.... They were oblivious to the city Enmax worker parked only 8' from them who was on the phone, surely he was talking with 911 dispatch. I would have called it in myself had I not seen him taking care of it.

One main observation that I came away from seeing all of this was that the scumbags are running in packs. More will be forming and some might get rather large.

After all that I went home and lubricated some firearms. I'll be putting in some overdue motion-sensor lights, hardening entry points to the house and hanging a good piece of hickory just inside each door to the house. They'll be hung from rare-earth magnets by the store-display eye hook so that there will be no possibility of snagging-up when grabbing one. I'll throw a go-bag with a flashlight and some other helpful items in easy access.

I expect that criminals won't be able to do the empty house break-ins that they're accustomed to because so many newly-unemployed or folks self-isolating will be home, my thoughts are that they'll transition to doing home-invasions in groups and simply not care whether or not the house house is occupied; we already see this happening with the current problem that rural folks have with thieves.

It left me with the impression of a pack of predatory dogs, be they coyotes or hyenas. I hope if the Emergency Measures Act is imposed that these degenerates are locked up, I care not for their due process.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Later the same evening, I went to the Canadian Tire @ Southland & Macleod and got a 30 mm optic mount and a few other bits. I noticed that CT staff were (paying very close attention to some scumbags neck tats, wearing hoodies and dressed like the cretins they are), the guys were checking out pry bars and sledgehammers, animating how they'd use them...... They eventually left after buying a taillight bulb. I was following with a replacement hickory shovel handle that I didn't buy to fix a shovel with...
Hey! I resemble that description and am no scumbag... I am offended!!

Okay... I am not offended, but it is funny none-the-less!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM

I want to be clear with my original message as it has been misinterpreted. It was not a shot at the mods. I wouldn’t want their job at all and there are new threads about this going up daily by the original banned members that keep coming back. I appreciate everything that they do. I was meaning it is nice to discuss the data with links and graphs. Just because a graph is posted and there is a trajectory doesn’t mean it will continue on it. It is nice to see the curve flattening as we are doing our part. Hopefully the name callers can stay out of this thread and it doesn’t go the way of the original one.