Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 PM

Well certain investment gurus,(who claim they have been advising presidents for years) the ones you can get a newsletter for 99 a year, or 49 a year on sale, have been predicting that in 2020 the deep state was going to tank the markets and bring down Trump. So there you have it and Rush just told you how. Amazing!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 PM

What's perplexing to me is that I pass on information about the virus to all the people I know and never hear anything back or any desire to discuss it. I guess everyone has their face planted in social media and are totally oblivious. Maybe there is a survival app I don't know about.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:39 AM

It's these new countries joining the race that I'm interested in. Off to quite the start so far....

Old 02-26-2020, 07:18 AM

WHO reporting that cases in China have "peaked"....

Also read another article that Xi said they've "lost control".

So which is it ???
Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or 1.5 million but hey, why quibble over 985,000,000.
You figure that out on your fingers?

Better check your gloves for missing digits...
Old 02-26-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
WHO reporting that cases in China have "peaked"....

Also read another article that Xi said they've "lost control".

So which is it ???
The latter is BS. Rebel of some such?

In reality, many regions in China have lowered the emergency level. No deaths were reported outside Hubei province (where Wuhan, the epicentre is) for the first time in 23 days.

This is pretty concerning though:

After 14 % of recovered COVID-19 patients tested positive for the virus in later checkups in Guangdong, concerns raising whether recovered patients can still infect others, local authorities said it needs further testing to determine if they become a source of infection again.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
What's perplexing to me is that I pass on information about the virus to all the people I know and never hear anything back or any desire to discuss it. I guess everyone has their face planted in social media and are totally oblivious. Maybe there is a survival app I don't know about.
I agree with this, I don't think many people are paying attention. I was mocked when I brought up the subject, had tried to have a rational conversation and then just gave up. At risk of sounding like a wack job, I was trying to inform some friends that it might be wise to get a few supplies, and pretty much got laughed at for the rest of the evening.... was just trying to help
Old 02-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
I agree with this, I don't think many people are paying attention. I was mocked when I brought up the subject, had tried to have a rational conversation and then just gave up. At risk of sounding like a wack job, I was trying to inform some friends that it might be wise to get a few supplies, and pretty much got laughed at for the rest of the evening.... was just trying to help
I advised my in laws to maybe prepare a little bit. I got chastised about it as well, mostly in good fun for being "paranoid". They however finished the conversation by saying "we'll just come to your house and use your supplies".

Looks like I have to go shopping again.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Wife is asthmatic and we prepare with apprehension for the Flu season every year. Generally she gets hospitalized every 2nd year.

So if this is what takes us out, so be it.
In for a penny , in for a pound.
Supply chain management-Can you realistically prepare for extended quarantine-no food,electricity, water, heat, medical supplies, prescriptions, no pay cheques etc etc. For how long?
Of course you can if you have the resources to go off-grid and protect the realm against desperate people..
Survival of the fittest and we are in our harvest years:Insert sound of shotgun being cycled.

Last edited by omega50; 02-26-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I always laughed at the guys with the 'bug out bags' and the mass hysteria preppers in Montana; 50,000 rnds of .556 "zombie killers" in lockers full of mags,

but this is different. This makes me nervous.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-26-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I always laughed at the guys with the 'bug out bags' and the mass hysteria preppers in Montana; 50,000 rnds of .556 "zombie killers" in lockers full of mags,

but this is different. This makes me nervous.
Drives me nuts when people say the common flu kills 600,000 people per year.

"We estimated an average of 389 000 (uncertainty range 294 000-518 000) respiratory deaths were associated with influenza globally each year during the study period, corresponding to ~ 2% of all annual respiratory deaths. Of these, 67% were among people 65 years and older."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

This is not the common flu. I have read estimates from credible sources that this will affect 60-70% of the worlds population, and have a 2-4% mortality rate. The demographic remains the same, elderly trend.

Call it a conservative 40%, and conservative 2% mortality rate.
7.767 billion population
That = 62 million deaths . The deaths are not even what catches my attention. It is the havoc that will surround all of this.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Drives me nuts when people say the common flu kills 600,000 people per year.

"We estimated an average of 389 000 (uncertainty range 294 000-518 000) respiratory deaths were associated with influenza globally each year during the study period, corresponding to ~ 2% of all annual respiratory deaths. Of these, 67% were among people 65 years and older."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

This is not the common flu. I have read estimates from credible sources that this will affect 60-70% of the worlds population, and have a 2-4% mortality rate. The demographic remains the same, elderly trend.

Call it a conservative 40%, and conservative 2% mortality rate.
7.767 billion population
That = 62 million deaths . The deaths are not even what catches my attention. It is the havoc that will surround all of this.
this was my reply in another thread that touches the same points

'The Flu' has been circulating over how many decades? Centuries? The numbers are an average.

This is not even 2 months old.

What happens when this circles the globe for a decade?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
this was my reply in another thread that touches the same points

'The Flu' has been circulating over how many decades? Centuries? The numbers are an average.

This is not even 2 months old.

What happens when this circles the globe for a decade?
This is all pointing to a world wide problem.. some of us get that, some don’t..but that’s okay everyone does things differently, once this gets rooted in BC as it looks like it just might.. I’m not going there to golf this summer as usual.. might be back in the bush where we are comfy for a very long time.. with my lung problems I’m having, I’m afraid I have to take precautions as this thing will kill me in a day or two.. as ya I’ve sat up and taken notice...
But remember no matter what..
“KEEP SMILING”
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 02-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
This is all pointing to a world wide problem.. some of us get that, some don’t..but that’s okay everyone does things differently, once this gets rooted in BC as it looks like it just might.. I’m not going there to golf this summer as usual.. might be back in the bush where we are comfy for a very long time.. with my lung problems I’m having, I’m afraid I have to take precautions as this thing will kill me in a day or two.. as ya I’ve sat up and taken notice...
“KEEP SMILING”
Zip
I'm betting that you are correct. The Chinese population is well documented in the lower mainland of of BC, but North Vancouver also has a massive number of Iranians. Kinda a one-two punch.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
“KEEP SMILING”
Zip
Lots of us old farts on here in the same boat. Either heart or lung or both troubles. But then we take a risk everyday we go out in the winter with the flu around dont we. Especially if they get the mix wrong on the flu shots. If i get this virus i dont expect id make it through, along with others on this forum who mention there health problems seems like. Anyway gotta take it one day at a time is all we can do. As English say "chin up mate"
Old 02-26-2020, 02:39 PM

Cases numbers in Italy (215) and South Korea (833) are taking off. The market is really taking notice now. Stocks are getting crushed today overseas and NA market futures are in full on panic mode. Golds up another 30$ and oils taking another crap kicking. I half expect Trump to make some sort of announcement over the next couple days as this sinks in.

He's going to tell us how to save America this afternoon at 4:30. Trumps starts sweating as soon as the markets take a hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/polit...ket/index.html
Old 02-26-2020, 02:51 PM

What is interesting is Signapore's data. 93 cases and 0 deaths from a place that probably has better reporting than China. A fairly humid area where the flu does not do so good, similar to the flu in spring to fall in Canada.

I'm no expert, just an interesting observation.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j335 View Post
What is interesting is Signapore's data. 93 cases and 0 deaths from a place that probably has better reporting than China. A fairly humid area where the flu does not do so good, similar to the flu in spring to fall in Canada.

On top of the climate they have world-class medical facilities that put anything in North America to shame and a very 'sterile' culture in general. It's a strange place in that way, as it's surrounded by countries that are typically polar opposites.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:08 PM

So we need global warming/climate change to save the world.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Cases numbers in Italy (215) and South Korea (833) are taking off. The market is really taking notice now. Stocks are getting crushed today overseas and NA market futures are in full on panic mode. Golds up another 30$ and oils taking another crap kicking. I half expect Trump to make some sort of announcement over the next couple days as this sinks in.

He's going to tell us how to save America this afternoon at 4:30. Trumps starts sweating as soon as the markets take a hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/polit...ket/index.html
Numbers are quite a bit higher than that... really taking off. I have a graph near the top of this page with todays numbers this morning.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Numbers are quite a bit higher than that... really taking off. I have a graph near the top of this page with todays numbers this morning.
U bet. I was trying to requote from a few days ago in the top part of the post.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j335 View Post

I was just in Singapore, and it's not really surprising at all. They are being very proactive. When we flew in at the beginning of Feb there were questionnaires for all travelers regarding being in Wuhan/Hubei, thermal scanners/masked health officials everywhere in the airport (Tokyo was the same). Outside of the airport it was pretty much business as usual with very few masks being worn. The place is spotlessly clean, very organized and has great air quality compared to every other major Asian city. There were health protocols announced to the general public in regards to hand washing, masking up when sick and visiting a health facility if you show any flu like symptoms. On the way back through Singapore last week, they had stepped things up even more, as we had infrared forehead thermometers pointed at our heads while checking into our hotel, as well as entering any shopping centers/office towers. This all coupled with the bans on flights from China undoubtedly had a huge impact, albeit to the economy as well. The passenger volume through Changi airport was down 70-80%. It was a great time to visit. Breezed through security and customs at the airport, public spaces were nice and quiet as was public transport being mostly Singaporean citizens. As for the rest of the world................I guess we'll see.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:05 PM

I was listening to the USA press version of the virus. I have to admit, the plans were outlined concisely and the various people were introduced with a PLAN going forward. It may all be BS, but it sounds convincing and at the end of the day that is really important.

Come on Trudeau, step up and be a leader; you look bad right about now.

Last edited by Walkin; 02-26-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I am not allowed to bring the topic up in our house anymore. Wifey says its just depressing and doesn't want to hear about any new developments. Some people prefer to keep their heads in the sand. I am not one. Firm believer that knowledge is power. Following this closely out of intrigue, not fear.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:29 PM

How many weeks or months of supplies would be prudent to plan on having on hand?

I’m not talking about going full on dooms day prepper.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:45 PM

I think one month at least.
It might only take a month to go full zombie.
Everything I can think of leads to very low chance of survival if things go full zombie. So I’ve given up on that. If you have something a bad group may come to take it. Maybe if you had an undetectable bunker you could come out in a year.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
"We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad," said Dr Nancy Messonnier of the National Center for Immunisation and Respiratory Diseases in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday.
"It's not so much a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen," she said, adding: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51637481
I was somewhat following this on the news but this made me really pay attention. When the CDC is telling people to start hoarding supplies poop is gonna hit the fan.

Filled up the pantry with canned/dry goods this afternoon, still got 1/2 a deer in the freezer. Bought a couple extra bags of dog food for the mutts just in case. I'm gonna load up on charcoal so I can do some low and slow smoking if I'm forced to stay home from work.

I'm gonna load up on ammo as well, not because I think I'll need it for this pandemic, but because it's a nice excuse to buy some ammo!
Old 02-26-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
How many weeks or months of supplies would be prudent to plan on having on hand?

I’m not talking about going full on dooms day prepper.
I'm certainly not a prepper, but I see where this is going. I would (have) get items that are already seeing supply shortages, such as masks and filters. Other than that, I'm not doing much yet. I'd like to have between 2 weeks and 1 month where I wouldn't have to go into public spaces if it comes to that. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea just in general, for whatever may come our way, not just this. Indicators are that even if you don't get infected yourself, you can pick it up, and spread the virus, so avoiding public spaces is high on my wish list. I don't want to bring it home to my pregnant wife and 5yr old daughter. Planning on being ready to hole up for a bit. Generator and some extra gas, some dry staples, water, and fingers crossed! Food won't disappear, but just having the ability to avoid going out in public is why I would stockpile a bit more than our current pantry.

Also - just want to add, I don't think this will be some sort of doomsday event. I think the repercussions over time will be widespread, across many different facets. Doesn't hurt to be ready for some of the potentials.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-26-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:45 PM

Although we had N95 masks with us while hanging out in Singapore for a few days and in Japanese airports, we didn't end up using any. When looking around at people who were wearing masks, the only ones wearing them correctly were health/government officials and airline employees. The general public inside and outside of the airports/planes that were masked up weren't really protecting themselves or anyone else. Half of them had the masks pulled down under their nose so that breathing was easier, constantly lifting them up to eat/drink, only some of the family members in a group wearing them, many people with ill-fitting masks, people with beards/facial hair (no proper seal), masks resting on the tops of their heads while having a cigarette etc.

Speaking with friends in Australia, they had actually witnessed some people lift their masks off when coughing or sneezing. So yeah, we practiced proper hygiene (hand sanitizer/soap and water, disinfecting wipes for trays etc. on airplane), covering face if coughing/sneezing and stayed the heck away from people who appeared to be sick. Still here, so it's "so far so good".
Old 02-26-2020, 06:46 PM

Big Costco shop tomorrow.
Will spend a Grand and load up the basement. And best case scenario if supplies are not needed then we will have finished our Xmas Shopping early

Merry Xmas-You get Canned Tuna

Last edited by omega50; 02-26-2020 at 06:52 PM.