Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Sheep River

Well i was talking to the eleven year old neighbor kid tonight and he was telling me how he was all fired up about fishing this summer. Well that got me all fired up. All that talk of good spots on the sheep i used to fish when i was younger. All of a sudden i had a moment of clarity- I needed to go fishing on the sheep- So i grabbed my rod jumped in the truck and down the road i went. I haven't fished the sheep in probably 7 or 8 years so i kinda forgot about how much i used to enjoy it. Shortly after I parked my truck another guy rolled up beside me and pulled out his rod so we got to talking and he told me that he had only been fly fishing for three weeks. Then we talked a little more and i realized he'd only been fishing for three weeks. I found it sureal that 3 people over such a wide age range were all so excited about fishing. I offered to try to help this guy find some decent spots on the river to wet his line, and he was quite happy to take me up on it. So we found a few good spots and after i convinced him that you weren't really fishing until you got your feet wet, all was well. We seen quite a few fish rise so we knew they were around. This guy happened to be a new canadian via england. He was quite excited when a beaver swam by us"look its a beaver, or some kind of water rat" I had to chuckle at that a little. It made me realize how lucky i have been to live in this area most of my life and have these sorts of things in my back yard. My new friend didnt manage to catch anything, and i only managed to land a 14 inch rainbow but its been a while since i enjoyed myself that much. Theres something kind of neat about seeing a man in his thirties out fishing for one of his first times and really getting lost in the whole experience. Well now i've found a new friend to re-explore the sheep with and maybe teach a thing or two and hopefully learn a thing or two from as well.
What a great evening!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Wow that sounds like a great time. I tried the Sheep river last summer and had some decent luck but don't really know the area too well and I am looking foreward to getting out there again this summer
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Great story, thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanne88 View Post
Wow that sounds like a great time. I tried the Sheep river last summer and had some decent luck but don't really know the area too well and I am looking foreward to getting out there again this summer
There are very few fish in the Sheep. Don't bother.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM

mr okotokian

i live here two just recently they opened the new bridge across the river they had to divert the river and had to move the fishing from the other river they moved
fish

dusty

also i met one of my best friends over the same river cool