Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Question Cold Lake Ice fishing question

I was able to get the wife out ice fishing after a 20 year hiatus, we have decided that this summer with advice from this forum we had a great (and sucessful) trip to Cold Lake for lake trout. So we would like to try and ice fish for lake trout.
So what would a person need, knowing that those little red and white plastic rods will not work. What type of rod do you use and what strength of line. What size auger is needed? Do you use tip-ups?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM

I have an HT tough rods series and love it. Heavy action and great for lakers or big pike.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM

I use my summer rod when ice fishing along with a ice rod ,I just don't use the upper part of the rod,works realy well since the the last ring is halfway up the lower shaft I can lay my rod down without the fear of the rod getting pulled down the hole. Normaly 15 pound line.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Cold Lake Ice Fishing

I like to use a short rod 24 -30 inches, one that's not to flimsy. As for the type of hook I normally use bucktail jigs at least 1oz or more also airplane jigs work well. A ten inch auger is preferred but if you use a eight inch just drill two holes joined together. I use 12 -14 lb test line and always fish using a rod and never a tip up. The fishing has been great so far this year been out several times and done well. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Cold Lake ICE thickness

Has anyone been on CL lately? I want to go out and curious how thick the ice is and if the fish are biting. (Where and what depth) thanks