Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Floodwater - dangerous or just deceiving?

With all the snow dumped in the province over the last week or so, there's been a lot of chatting on various forums about floodwater on the ice now on numerous different lakes. I asked a more pointed question in a previous post about floodwater, but, to get more general thoughts on the topic as it is now not just an issue on one particular lake, I thought it would be good to bring the topic into a general thread because at this point, we'll probably all run into some floodwater now with all the snow that has fallen. A question I would have would be this:

a) Having verified a safe location on a lake before the floodwater was there [say about 2 weeks agao], would floodwater in that location now be enough cause to reconsider that location and relocate to another position?...or is it just a matter of switching to rubber boots? Would floodwater in that location now be effecting the integrity of the good ice that was already there?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:10 PM

personally i don't think it affects the ice, it affects my ability to travel and enjoy the day !!!! getting stuck and digging outta that stuff is terrible, usually only walk on , usually with snow shoes or skis, then need some rubbers to keep dry ! Last time we tried when it was bad, we put everything in the tobagan and sheet of old plywood,. When we got to our spot we packed down the snow as best as possible, then put down the plywood to at lleast have a dry spot to sit, then dug a couple holes around the plywood. The tip ups went furthur away, but not much fun when you gotta run out there !

It will evenually freeze up and join the rest of the ice, but the snow insulates it well for a while....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Tire Chains

If you are driving on where there is flood ice, the problem is the resistance to the front tires, and then staying in the same track on the return trip. Once a track is packed down, it will freeze pretty fast. Driving back is like driving on railway tracks. After a few trucks go through and the path is widened, you have a good track to travel on as long as you stay on top.

Best advice is to put on tire chains to overcome the resistance. If you break trail on a really cold day, expect your vehicle to be covered in slush, which freezes pretty quick.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Default flood water dangerous-mabye

I was fishing Cardiff earlier in the year and the flood water was pretty bad. I fished one day and stood in water for a few hours. A couple days later I went and drilled a hole in the exact same spot because that area, say 5 feet by 5 was frozen and would be dry for my feet. My auger punched through 1.5 inches then 5 inches of water then about 1.5 inches of ice again and that was it. I backed away mabye 10 feet and drilled another hole, 12 inches. It's not the water on the ice its where the water is coming through. Running water eats the ice away and will make soft or skinny spots.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM

The flood water will soften the ice somewhat. But the biggest issues are not getting struck as Drewski explained, keeping your feet dry, and the water will freeze unto your mode of transportation which could make it non-mobile or even cause some damage (puncturing boots, braking issues, etc.)