Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Default Camo

I suggest army surplus fatigues and a walmart camo shirt.
Can of snuff and beer, listen to Larry The Cable guy on way to stand.

Or jeans and a woods jacket, the old checkered ones. I believe WR Hanson buck was shot in similar fatigues.

Control scent, and don't look like an air traffic controller out there and you should be fine. Many great bucks were shot with jeans and an oilpatch hat, and a hoodie of sorts.

Good luck. Mostly irrelevant is my thoughts.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Banned

Where does one buy predator camo at?
Old 02-12-2016, 07:32 PM

Default Hard to beat

Its hard to beat kings Camo in my opinion for the quality, pattern and price check them out http://www.kingscamo.com/Snow-Shadow_c_22.html
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM

It really depends on your hunting style... If you are hunting the mountains or even foothills and you anticipate a lot of up and down hill.... Layering is essential. Nothing worse than climbing a steep slope to glass and being drenched in a cotton camo shirt at the top.
Merino wool is my fabric of choice for mountain hunts. It breaths well, keeps you warm, and more importantly if you get it wet it dries fairly quick and basically stink free.
I came across First Lite's gear last year at Jim Bows and picked up a bunch of the against the skin pieces. Unbelievably soft merino wool but it held up really well throughout the season. I also love the Fusion pattern they have. Also there customer service has been great to deal with, I picked up some outerwear pieces this year and had some questions regarding layering... I talked to them about my typical hunt scenarios and hey recommended some great product and helped with sizing.

I agree with a lot of guys here, pattern isn't super important... At the end of the day you want to break up your image... I think people over think it sometimes.
For me it's all about the quality of the materials. If you are doing multi day backpack hunts and are looking for good gear, I would bite the bullet and invest in one of the following: FirstLite, Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek.
Check for deals online and locally. If you have the time you can often build up your gear at a great price.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
I suggest army surplus fatigues and a walmart camo shirt.
Can of snuff and beer, listen to Larry The Cable guy on way to stand.

Or jeans and a woods jacket, the old checkered ones. I believe WR Hanson buck was shot in similar fatigues.

Control scent, and don't look like an air traffic controller out there and you should be fine. Many great bucks were shot with jeans and an oilpatch hat, and a hoodie of sorts.
Good luck. Mostly irrelevant is my thoughts.
When riding around in a pick up that is awesome camo right there. Seen many facebook pics this year of guys holding bucks wearing this. And untied skateboard shoes.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 PM

if price is an issue then get good wool clothing, preferably multi layer, and then top it with a camo pattern and color that is consistent with the area you are hunting. personally I think the shade is as important then the actual pattern. if you are darker or lighter than the surrounding then you will stand out.

keep in mind if you are walking, no matter how slow, then camo does not work. deer see movement a 1000x more than the see pattern.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
It's basically mail order via their website.
http://www.predatorcamocanada.com/or...r-details.html

Email them and ask for a price list. Once you place your order, it'll arrive very fast. Mine showed up the next day, so he must have sent it overnight express.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 PM

I have camo clothing because it looks cool & has lots of pockets, but I hardly where it unless it is cold or wet weather. Most years I hunt in jeans, & a black jacket, or some pull over shirt on a hot day.

I spent several years walking, stalking, watching, sitting, & kneeling just to kill or watch deer feed (when I am in no hurry ). I went from 600 yards to 70 yards last year to get my buck.

For me there is really no need for camo clothing, it doesn't help me since I can get close without it. For me there is nothing like watching a deer coming out of the trees with its head down & I am kneeling on a lease road watching it walk 15 yards in front of me & start eating the shrub on the edge of the lease road.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
I just saw some in Bass Pro at Cross Iron Mills yesterday, but they only have the brown/green colour. You could check them out for sizing though.

Or you could get your camo at Brooks Brothers. This vest is a mere $600. Think of the savings!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 PM

I have 4 different flavours of Predator. Green Deception is my favorite, and I wear it right up untill I need to break out the Winter White coveralls. Fall grey is used in the treestands however. Dennis has treated me good. Fast shipping, prices are decent for the quality. I like them.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:42 PM

A couple days ago at Walmart, I saw that some was on sale. Looked decent, and I was tempted to pick up one of the 3(?) in one jackets for $60. Ended up grabbing a bush shirt for half price ($15). Rubberized snaps (and good ones too), and seems to be pretty good quality overall. Real Tree labeled, and I believe the other stuff (pants, jackets, and hoodies) were as well I think.

Remember to wash it in non UV brightening, no scent laundry detergent, and use scent killing or fragrance free drier sheets.

A person can make their own camo with a little spray paint too. Lightly mist a few contrasting strips on some old clothes. I'm sure there is some dies out there also. I think I will make a couple pairs of camo pants out of some old Carharts.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM

I like the Kryptek Highlander and the new Altitude. Might have to buy me some of the Altitude should I get a sheep hunt in my books.

I bought some Cabelas Zonzs Woodland pattern a couple years ago and really like it.

I mix and match some of my older RT and MO camos depending on conditions.

In winter I wear RT Brown pants and MO Winter parka when walking / still hunting along field edges.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
It's basically mail order via their website.
http://www.predatorcamocanada.com/or...r-details.html

Email them and ask for a price list. Once you place your order, it'll arrive very fast. Mine showed up the next day, so he must have sent it overnight express.
I was recently broke into and all my gear was stolen. I had to replace everything including my camo.

I had no idea there was a Predator distributor here in Alberta and the only place to buy was at Bass Pro and pay their high prices.... WRONG......

From this site, I called Dennis and by the next day I had my order at my house.
You will not find better pricing anywhere or a better guy to deal with...IMO.

Dennis if you are reading this post; thanks again.

PREDATOR CAMO
Dennis Meyer
P.O. Box 483
Lethbridge, Alberta
T1J 3Z1

Phone: (403) 380-6495

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 03-06-2016 at 07:15 AM.