Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Default What can Fish & Wildlife do?

Well today was the last day of my season, and I got all my sets pulled except for my footholds, still frozen in pretty good. Was able to get one out the other day, went back today and couldn't get two of three out. However someone decided to help me out with the third one. I am out a $45 investment. Glad I was able to see the bad side of humanity today.

My question is if I call Fish and Wildlife is there actually anything they can do? I want my trap back and I would just love to talk to the guy who took it. Before I loose my mind on here, I'll just leave it as a question on whether or not to try with F&W.
Thank you guys,

Nick
Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM

I'd eat the cost of the trap and move on with my life myself. If it happened again I'd consider doing something about it.

I'm wondering though why you can't get your footholds free? Sorry for the derail but I was curious, ignore the question if you want.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Was there a catch? How did the thief know there was a set there. Pour some sidewalk salt on the trap and wait a day. Pour lots of coarse salt.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 PM

TFNG they are secured by 2 foot stakes that are in some seriously frozen ground, really scared leaving them today, I hope the person doesn't keep trying and get it before I do.

Bill, the traps were all set off but I couldn't get them out, so they were sitting there. 3 of the 4 can't be removed without the stake out of the ground. However the stolen trap was connected to a disposable anchor with a quick link, which is how it was stolen. Suspect it was the landowner across the road, always watched me enter the land, and probably just followed my tracks. Infuriating.

Nick
Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 PM

couple of things make sure to mark your traps stamp in either your name or your initials under side of the pan is a good spot , and it dosnt hurt to talk to game warden
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 PM

That truly sucks. My brother and I made some steaks with a 1 and 1/16 inch nut welded to the top. One guy pulls up the other spins with a big socket set. Or a jackall hooked to the chain and puller up. Go knock on his door and ask the guy he will tell you no he never took it but you usually can tell from the body language. If he tells you he's against trapping that could be why you had a hard year. Someone messing with your sets. Did you have a bunch of traps set off no catch? Also get a large bear trap extra teeth and set it right where someone crosses the fence. Then bam. Got him (obviously I am kidding about the last part) . Muskrat and beaver are still good til the ice is completely off so go hammer them. Can't wait for the pic of your beaver. Good luck
Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 PM

I built this for pulling stakes out of frozen ground. It was a mistake to weld the hook on top like that because I found it side loads the chain and will break it. You have a huge amount of leverage with this.

I plan to re-work it with two or more books off the bottom on a link or two of chain. One near the pivot to get the stake started and another farther away to finish the pull.

I'd like to try one that's built that's like a giant crow bar.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Banned

That looks like a great piece of kit, TFNG.

I'm thinking that a jack-all with a bit of chain wrapped around the stake would work well. If a jack-all isn't available, you could improvise with a bottle jack and pieces of 4" x 4" or logs. Place two pieces of 4 x 4 or logs parallel to each other and the third on top of them crosswise with the bottle Jack on top directly over the stake. Wrap some chain around the stake and over top of the bottle jack and pump. That's the easiest way that I can think of with what might be available to you. Good luck, Nick!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:06 AM

disclaimer I didn't tell you to do this and you probably shouldn't do this

Stand a spare tire next to the stake, run a chain over the top of the tire to the stake and hook the other end of the chain to your truck. Drive away and the tire will cause the stake to be pulled up not sideways. I've seen stumps pulled this way.

Take it easy that you don't want that stake and chain whipping into your tailgate or worse

A jackall would be your safest bet, and if you don't own one you should. A jack and a winch all in one.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-12-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:06 AM

It can help loosen frozen stakes by first hammering it in a little before trying to pull.
Jim
Old 02-12-2016, 07:41 AM
AO Sponsor

Just go cut the chain and put a new swivel on. Pull the stake out in the spring. Actually, cut the swivel.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am going to bring some tools to get some good leverage, and it that doesn't work I'm going to cut them out, really nervous leaving them out any longer. Was trying to avoid cutting as I don't have any tools like a welder but I would rather sacrifice a swivel for the trap.

Nick
Old 02-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Used bolt cutters and cut at the stake swivel. Both of the remaining traps are home safe. No sign of the stolen one. What can you do I guess.

Nick
Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Banned

all I ever carry is a pair of big vice grips.......sometimes it's a snort, but have never failed to pull a stake. you have to twist the stake around in a couple of circles before you start pulling up on it or it won't come out.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned

In answer to the OP's original question, I would let F&W and even the RCMP know about the theft. I doubt they will activly investigate the theft, but they may run across the stolen trap in the course of other duties, and at least they have been alerted to the problem. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 AM

I would think that your options are about the same as when our good new class of outdoorsmen roam the woods and trails and borrow trail cameras, but I guess once they have borrowed enclosed trailers and quads they may as well hit the trails also so they are all equipped, its a sad fact of life my friend and it is getting worse, a gross lack of respect for anyone else's property

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I would think that your options are about the same as when our good new class of outdoorsmen roam the woods and trails and borrow trail cameras, but I guess once they have borrowed enclosed trailers and quads they may as well hit the trails also so they are all equipped, its a sad fact of life my friend and it is getting worse, a gross lack of respect for anyone else's property
Couldn't agree more, easier to take something of someones when you don't see the loss that it causes to them. Makes me mad. Also I will be contacting F&W on Tuesday to report the theft.

Nick
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM

One year I had 3 softcatch legholds and 4 new 120# conibear stolen on one trail and F&W nor the police could not do anything because my traps were not marked. Even though I pretty much knew who took my traps I could not prove they were my traps.

Sacrifice the chain link and get the stake when the ground thaws.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-14-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:39 PM

Take some rv antifreeze with you pour it next to the stake and tap it with a hammer. Keep working the stakes back and forth it will come out and no cuting needed.