Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Default just a little common sense.

Hey guys, so here we go again! It begins another season. I'm posting this asking guys to open there eyes a little this year, my home zone of 522 is in trouble, well let me clairify, mule deer are in trouble. I cut my hunting teeth in what I would argue was one of the best muley zones in our province, (Was) all I can do guys is ask if your headed here this fall to Shoot some doe's ( just because they still give tags) just take a look around if it takes you two days just to see a doe, then mabe hold on to that tag, I mean if you gotta feed your family then go for it, but most of us don't need to kill an 80 pound doe. Maybe before there wiped from the zone someone will wise up and shut the season down for a few years, including the most abused tag in the province the land owners mule buck tag! I'm a land owner and a hard core hunter and this tag needs to be stopped! In a zone where we wait 7+ years for a draw most people I hear of with the (land owner) use it purly as a trophy tag and hunt where they please, not on there own property as intended. Well that's my rant, not really much one guy can do but ask everone to comming this way this fall to help us out a little, and maybe we could someday get back to having a world class muley zone. Thanks boys and girls. Stay safe out there.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:48 AM

This is a concern you should bring up to FW about populations and numbers, don't go asking people not to hunt your area because you think some things are up for question. Sorry bud.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdales View Post
This is a concern you should bring up to FW about populations and numbers, don't go asking people not to hunt your area because you think some things are up for question. Sorry bud.
X2
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 PM

Not asking people not to hunt the zone, they will whether I like it or not, its just a comment for people who don't live here and see it everyday. Its like if you went to a lake you loved to fish but hadn't been there in a few years, and it used to be awesome but you only catch one fish, some people would bonk it and take it home! others would put it back in hopes the lake would recover. Same thing differnt animal.. just something for people to think about that's all.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorthern View Post
Not asking people not to hunt the zone, they will whether I like it or not, its just a comment for people who don't live here and see it everyday. Its like if you went to a lake you loved to fish but hadn't been there in a few years, and it used to be awesome but you only catch one fish, some people would bonk it and take it home! others would put it back in hopes the lake would recover. Same thing differnt animal.. just something for people to think about that's all.
Understandable forsure. I myself have hunted since I was 16 and I have only taken 3 animals.. I am picky but don't do much for conservation... We do need both types of people, those who harvest every year and those that don't. But forsure bring it up to FW.

I was thinking if I take a buck or two this year the processed meat per lb will probably be 200$ if you take into account all the hunting I have done without taking and animal but putting the money into it... Haha! But it's all for the point of being outdoors right!? I plan on taking an animal this year. Can't wait to taste success on my lips aswell as 24,000+ dollars hahahah
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorthern View Post
Hey guys, so here we go again! It begins another season. I'm posting this asking guys to open there eyes a little this year, my home zone of 522 is in trouble, well let me clairify, mule deer are in trouble. I cut my hunting teeth in what I would argue was one of the best muley zones in our province, (Was) all I can do guys is ask if your headed here this fall to Shoot some doe's ( just because they still give tags) just take a look around if it takes you two days just to see a doe, then mabe hold on to that tag, I mean if you gotta feed your family then go for it, but most of us don't need to kill an 80 pound doe. Maybe before there wiped from the zone someone will wise up and shut the season down for a few years, including the most abused tag in the province the land owners mule buck tag! I'm a land owner and a hard core hunter and this tag needs to be stopped! In a zone where we wait 7+ years for a draw most people I hear of with the (land owner) use it purly as a trophy tag and hunt where they please, not on there own property as intended. Well that's my rant, not really much one guy can do but ask everone to comming this way this fall to help us out a little, and maybe we could someday get back to having a world class muley zone. Thanks boys and girls. Stay safe out there.

Same as any peace country zone... It sucks
Old 08-28-2015, 03:58 PM

There are no deer where I hunt either. Everyone stay away.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-28-2015, 05:11 PM

I hunted Mules with my Land Owner friend Harvey for many years up until that large winter kill that happened must be close to 9 years ago that zone has never recovered. Ive also never hunted mules since then. I trully love hunting in 522 and would love the chance to come take another monster mule from those amazing river valleys.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM

you have a valid point, I think you should raise this to the F&W and hopefully get back to us how did they react. thank you
Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 AM

I plan on talking to F&W for sure, again. But in the mean time was just hoping to make people think a little. I belive we as hunters we are the game managers, and need to take a larger roll in our own hunting future, not just (do) Because the Gov says its ok. The Gov doesn't care about what happens to a few deer. Anyways, I'm out. time to go hunting