Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Anyone drawing sheep in 410'?

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a sheep tag in 410 this fall, I've got enough points. Anyone else in the same boat who would like to partner up.? If I decide to go I'll probably take a month off work, the wife will kill me but it's worth it
Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Probably not the dream tag your pulling but I'm going to pull a ewe tag in 410 this year. Good luck on the ram, I'm still a few years from pulling that one.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:51 PM

My thoughts were to pull the ewe tag this year and trophy next year. I'd like to spend time in the zone hunting this year and learn some stuff before trying for the big boy. I'll probably spend three weeks this year camping, chasing ewes and white tails in the rut.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM

You hunting that with trad chef?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
You hunting that with trad chef?

Yup!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 PM

I might pull my 410 as well.

LC
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 PM

I've got a plan, it's starting to solidify...sure could use a good partner. Someone who's experienced, a hard working hunter, safe, someone who can think for themselves and who has well worn boots.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 PM

Think its time to pull mine its been a few yrs sinse i arrowed a ram and im not getting any younger!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM

If you are looking for a good partner for that hunt I would recommend lining up three guys that say yes and then still plan on hunting by yourself. Most guys think it's a pretty good idea until they realize that they are going to be backpack hunting in the mountains in the winter time with a bow and arrow. Most lose ambition and fade into the background quickly. LOL its a difficult hunt but very rewarding.
I would say the biggest drawback to that hunt is that the outfitters are very prepared, have been doing it for years, occupy the best spots and can be very competitive(difficult).
Good luck and plan on this being your last opportunity for this tag . They cut the resident tags from 50 to 30 and I don't think that the residents are all that successful.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Default 410 sheep

I'm planning on pulling the tag this year as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Tags

When did the tags get cut from 50 to 30?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrileyw View Post
When did the tags get cut from 50 to 30?
I think about 3-4 years ago. Outfitter tags didn't change though. 🤔
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Ram 410

So I was drawn and wanting to set up camp, wondering if any of you guys did get your draw?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM

Nope, I was sure I'd get drawn this year but no dice....enjoy your hunt. Be serious about it, it's once in a lifetime pretty much.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 PM

So what happens if you occupy an area before the guides get there? You were there first
Old 10-30-2017, 05:35 AM

410 is a zone i used to bow hunt sheep every year in Nov 30 years ago ,solo!
My sheep days are long gone now.
I used to just hunt along the old hyw 1a
Just seemed like every thing was posted no trespassing last time i was there.
That hyw used to be just linned up with hunters and there spotting scopes back then
Pushing 60 now and my knees and hips are gone just to many hunts.
Anyways ...would love to get a pm on where every one goes.
Has to be more mountains than that one along hyw 1a
Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached Whale View Post
So what happens if you occupy an area before the guides get there? You were there first
I have heard some terrible stories of guides up there doing terrible stuff to ones camp. I hope these may be stories and not truth but I have heard it from a few that have hunted up there over the years. By rights there is enough area to respect each others hunts, I am considering to pull my hunt next season so will be following this thread. Good luck and keep us posted if there is any issues with guides and if there is it will be time we shame and oust these disrespectful people, we all need to respect each other and the hunt. I do not care if it is their living and worth big $$$ to them it is all our land to hunt. Lets also please post the positive encounters/experiences so we can have a better insight to what is truly going on up there.

Cheers, Elkoholik
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
I have heard some terrible stories of guides up there doing terrible stuff to ones camp. I hope these may be stories and not truth but I have heard it from a few that have hunted up there over the years. By rights there is enough area to respect each others hunts, I am considering to pull my hunt next season so will be following this thread. Good luck and keep us posted if there is any issues with guides and if there is it will be time we shame and oust these disrespectful people, we all need to respect each other and the hunt. I do not care if it is their living and worth big $$$ to them it is all our land to hunt. Lets also please post the positive encounters/experiences so we can have a better insight to what is truly going on up there.

Cheers, Elkoholik
Had zero issues with the guide on pigeon last year. Actually had some good conversations with him and his client up there....
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 AM

The issue is...Canmore is already a very difficult area to hunt due to all the zone restrictions, and the 3 main drainages that are best to hunt, Pigeon, Exshaw, and Cougar, all have guides camps at the top of the hill. Tough for AB residents to compete with that.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 PM

Well I spent the last 9 days hunting with one of the main guides for my 408 sheep tag and the way he treated the other guides not using him was amazing. To me he was more than helpful and basically tried to help them kill a ram. He tried to make sure we all worked together
Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well I spent the last 9 days hunting with one of the main guides for my 408 sheep tag and the way he treated the other guides not using him was amazing. To me he was more than helpful and basically tried to help them kill a ram. He tried to make sure we all worked together
So how did you do in 408???
Old 11-29-2017, 09:44 PM

Killed a 9.5 year old that scored 179.5"
Tough hunt weather wise with the wind
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Any residents have any success in 410 this year? Heard of one ram taken on Pigeon mid month and another near the mine, also heard Guinn took two rams in exshaw.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Outfitters did well but residents did not. Some legal rams moved in to a few spots on the last few days of the season but there were not a lot of rams moving into areas this year. I bet the big boys just barely started showing up now. We had one real good ram show last day of the season after we were done but other than that chased the same group of legal rams around the whole time.
I would have loved to have seen a bunch of real big hogs running around but it has been slow last 2 years. Either weather or just changing their locations of winter/breeding grounds a big possibly? Who knows!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Any residents have any success in 410 this year? Heard of one ram taken on Pigeon mid month and another near the mine, also heard Guinn took two rams in exshaw.
I got mine on Pigeon on the 21st. Packed a camp up there and was planning on staying until the end but tagged out on day four. Saw lots of sheep - first and only legal ram I saw and was lucky enough to get him. The next morning we hiked back up where he was when I shot him, trying to find my arrow and flush the rye from the system. There were 4 wolves and 50 ravens on the gut pile and they had it cleaned up - not 18 hours since we had left it. I found my arrow too!

I also went into Exshaw and Cougar earlier and hiked into a couple other holes but because I have horses and could get a camp up Pigeon I decided it would be where I focused the last two weeks. Being the first and last one off the mountain each day (besides the outfitter) gave me a pretty big advantage over all the other residents... especially the guys trying to spot it from their trucks before deciding if they should hike up there.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Well done, it looks like you did your homework well and had a plan.

Were you in a heated tent?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well done, it looks like you did your homework well and had a plan.

Were you in a heated tent?
Canvas wall tent with a stove.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Congrats herc883, I got some great footage of that ram from the 19th, PM me if you want me to email you the video. We were the other guys camped in the wall tent lower down off the main trail.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc883 View Post
I got mine on Pigeon on the 21st. Packed a camp up there and was planning on staying until the end but tagged out on day four. Saw lots of sheep - first and only legal ram I saw and was lucky enough to get him. The next morning we hiked back up where he was when I shot him, trying to find my arrow and flush the rye from the system. There were 4 wolves and 50 ravens on the gut pile and they had it cleaned up - not 18 hours since we had left it. I found my arrow too!

I also went into Exshaw and Cougar earlier and hiked into a couple other holes but because I have horses and could get a camp up Pigeon I decided it would be where I focused the last two weeks. Being the first and last one off the mountain each day (besides the outfitter) gave me a pretty big advantage over all the other residents... especially the guys trying to spot it from their trucks before deciding if they should hike up there.

Congradtulations on a fine ram! This is by far the most difficult hunt in Alberta for residents.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Outfitters did well but residents did not. Some legal rams moved in to a few spots on the last few days of the season but there were not a lot of rams moving into areas this year. I bet the big boys just barely started showing up now. We had one real good ram show last day of the season after we were done but other than that chased the same group of legal rams around the whole time.
I would have loved to have seen a bunch of real big hogs running around but it has been slow last 2 years. Either weather or just changing their locations of winter/breeding grounds a big possibly? Who knows!
This was my experience, saw the same resident rams day after day it seemed, had nick names for all of them by the end of the trip. Spent 14 days hunting hard, seen at least a dozen rams that were within an inch, 2 or 3 were right there but we figured if we weren't 100% sure at 40 yards it probably wasn't the right Ram.