Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Antlerless Moose hunting Archery

Hey Members,

Drew an antlerless Moose Tag as expected this year, looking to get out and fill in the archery season rather than wait until the flood gates open up in November and deal with the road warriors

We have an Elk hunt planned for the first week and a half of September as well as a little bear baiting planned. So between the 15th of September and the 30th of October I may have 10 or 12 full days in the field focusing on Moose (depending on how mad the wife is getting by this point)

Where I am hunting is A LOT of private land and grazing lease land, I have a ton of permission and have talked with the lease holders many times over the years. So I am not worried about getting permission.

I can drive around in the morning and evening and spot upwards of 30 or 40 Moose, and more than likely get permission to spot and stalk a dry cow.

but I am more looking at hiking into the river valleys (grazing reserve, crown and minimal private property) and sleeping in my back country gear.

I will have my quad not too far away if anything is down and a number of guys that owe me a favor in the zone if I need a hand.

Looking for opinions on best tactics to make this an interesting hunt? Will calling bring them in like it does those rutted up bulls? should I grab a decoy and lightly call & work my way to the animal and get into Archery Range?

Or should I just spot, play the wind and get within range?

Any Idea's/Suggestions to make this a fun hunt would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to everyone that is gearing up for elk, starting to organize there draws or simply looking forward to chasing whitetails and enjoying the outdoors!

Cheers
Old 07-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Banned

permission will likely be a snap

have you done gutless method and packed critters before? you can whip those quarters off, backstraps/t-loins/neck slabs and pack em out with a few trips if you're active like that? in case they don't want you to use your machine...nice to give them the options, i leave the carcass whenever possible...just an idea perhaps
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
permission will likely be a snap

have you done gutless method and packed critters before? you can whip those quarters off, backstraps/t-loins/neck slabs and pack em out with a few trips if you're active like that? in case they don't want you to use your machine...nice to give them the options, i leave the carcass whenever possible...just an idea perhaps
Not a bad trick to keep up my sleeve! I have done it with whitetails before (which I found slightly difficult but a good learning experience) I will get the you tube video's rocking and familiarize myself with the technique. If I am fortunate enough to let my arrow fly I more than likely will end up having to pack the animal some distance before I can get it to a machine, this way I will be ready for any situation.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:44 PM

Cow moose will come to a call or even a bunch of thrashing and banging. They wont come in as readily as a bull during the rut but I have had them come right in when cow calling for bulls and on another occasion while putting up a treestand Oct 9th and making some noise doing it a cow cam right in and hung around
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Cow moose will come to a call or even a bunch of thrashing and banging. They wont come in as readily as a bull during the rut but I have had them come right in when cow calling for bulls and on another occasion while putting up a treestand Oct 9th and making some noise doing it a cow cam right in and hung around
Thanks for the info! I plan on calling a bit, if anything may find some bulls to help fill a friends tag in November! Ill bring my paddle and do some raking, see what happens!

Cheers!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 PM

I didn’t have any luck calling for cows. Could have arrowed a few bulls though