Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 06:15 AM

Default Kananaskis lakes need restocking

This has been the worst year fishing those lake. Fished it 4 times and produced one fish. Barley any fish rising and flies on the surface .Time to make some calls guys and put the pressure on. Their plans for a self sustaining lakes has failed. I will be making some calls today for what it’s worth.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM

That’s pretty much all the stocked trout lakes in Alberta lately. Way less stocking since the whirling Disease issue came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM

I haven't been on the lakes this year yet, but report shows that 10,027 cutthroats stocked in September 2017...
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Trolled upper lake for about two hours on Saturday and only caught one decent Bull. Definitely slowed down out there.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM

fished lower k on Friday slow day only one fish a bull trout of 8 lbs. lake was flat, only seen one fish jump.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Did you fish the Lower lake as well?
The only thing they need to do is to stock the Cutthroats at a larger size so the Bulls don't eat them right away. When they stocked bigger Cutts a number of years ago, many more of those fish made it to maturity. There is a couple of year classes of very large Cutts available
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM

I have flies bigger than the stocking in 2017 6.4" .basically bullie food
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM

So I did call and spoke with one of the area biologists. She was very receptive and thanked me for my information. I did mananage to convince her that I was not some once a year lure chucked. I know something is up and so do a lot of other people as I was the only one fishing from shore on a Saturday. Not the norm. So they will be looking it to what’s going on a little more closely. I think predation and environmental factors are the cause. There are some little fish in the upper lake as I did get hits from small fish. But it might take some extra work and bigger stocking fish to create better fishing on the K lakes. On a good note my buddy finally caught a couple of cuts and a bull on the lower yesterday. It was his fifth time out since ice out and yesterday was the first time he even got bites. He’s no amateurs either.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 AM

Seems to me alberta is hurting more and more every year. Walleye fishing is showing it too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal View Post
he Kananaskis Lakes are beautiful, clear lakes in a striking setting of towering, ice-capped mountains. Located along the continental divide, there are numerous peaks over 3,000 m, many with glaciers, within 10 km of the lakes. The area can be reached from the city of Calgary by travelling 80 km west on Highway 1, then 56 km south on Highway 40 to Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
Now that you have copied and pasted what does it have to do with the stocking of fish
Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Make some calls guys. If things are not rite let them know. I spoke with lots of guys at K lakes and everyone had the same opinion. Fishing was crappy. But I was the only ine to call. I fish those lakes at least 10 times a year and see the same guys out there. Everyone bitchs but no one makes any calls. We pay a lot of money and where told an increase in licensing was going towards increased fishing opportunities. Speak up!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Thought one thing that may have come out of a elected NDP provincial government would have been an enhancement of SRD, but it’s more of the same old same old.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 PM

After reading the thread I went online and found this report about the lower Kananaskis Lake fish. An older report but good info about populations and movement up to then. Some good info. I wonder if it has changed that much in 18 years.

It looks like the lake has had low catch rates for a while. From April 2000 to March 2001 about 60 participating anglers recorded 204 angler hours and in that year only 41 fish were caught by those anglers. 21 bulls, 13 cutthroat & 7 rainbows. That works out to one fish every 5 hours. 1 bull trout every 10 hours.

For those interested...
http://www.ab-conservation.com/downl..._1995-2000.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM

Can confirm. Thought it was just me but glad there are others who have noticed too. Fishing is so slow this season not just in Kananaskis but every lake in Alberta it seems. Have been to several lakes and have yet to catch a trout. Whereas I did extremely well last season. Starting to doubt if the posted stocks were accurate. Was at Blood Indian Reservoir this weekend, five rods lined the shore around my camping area, all five of us didn't catch a single trout. 2 tiny carps and that was it.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Thought one thing that may have come out of a elected NDP provincial government would have been an enhancement of SRD, but it’s more of the same old same old.
The ministers may change but it's still the same bureaucrats.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
????? Well it hasn't been called SRD for quite a while now and I don't know why you're of the opinion that the NDP would throw their weight behind hunters/anglers/trappers? The only enhancement that has been going on is limiting human activity on public lands by creating parks and PLUZ's.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 PM

Most of the mature Cutts are just finishing up there spawning rituals. Fish often seem to disappear while their body's recover from the big hormone changes. They will show up again. There is still a very good population of bulls in Lower Kan. This year I saw the greatest number of juveniles I have ever seen in 30 years. As the water rises and warms the fish move to different parts of the lakes.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Now that you have copied and pasted what does it have to do with the stocking of fish
It's a bot.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Also to be fair.The hatcheries are in repair mode.Sam Livingston,is closed for major upgrade.Raven River hatchery,is in total rebuild ,when they have the money to repair it.
They only stock cut throat in the K.lakes,in the fall.They don't stock rainbow,if you do catch one.It is a natural reproducer,from lineage of 20 yrs ago..
Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Low numbers = big fish. I do agree that it could use a boost but don’t want them to go overboard either.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican View Post
The ministers may change but it's still the same bureaucrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
????? Well it hasn't been called SRD for quite a while now and I don't know why you're of the opinion that the NDP would throw their weight behind hunters/anglers/trappers? The only enhancement that has been going on is limiting human activity on public lands by creating parks and PLUZ's.
I totally agree on both counts. I was of the belief that NDP types were traditionally tree hugging, animal loving, land protecting, anti-business like folk thus figured they might provide more budget to SRD to protect/enhance our resources with more CO's, Enforcement, Public/Landowner Education, Impact Assessments, Habitat Rehabilitation, Industry Partnerships, Reclamation Projects, and such. Closures other than the cost of placing signs and barriers doesn't cost squat. Humm, perhaps I assumed wrong.

3.5 painful years later, I'm just sitting here wondering when we are going to see any benefits from all of that money they are borrowing/spending on our behalf. I guess light bulbs are now way cheaper.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I totally agree on both counts. I was of the belief that NDP types were traditionally tree hugging, animal loving, land protecting, anti-business like folk thus figured they might provide more budget to SRD to protect/enhance our resources with more CO's, Enforcement, Public/Landowner Education, Impact Assessments, Habitat Rehabilitation, Industry Partnerships, Reclamation Projects, and such. Closures other than the cost of placing signs and barriers doesn't cost squat. Humm, perhaps I assumed wrong.

3.5 painful years later, I'm just sitting here wondering when we are going to see any benefits from all of that money they are borrowing/spending on our behalf. I guess light bulbs are now way cheaper.
This isn't a "3.5 painful year" problem, there has been a funding issue with the last million years of conservatism as well for wild life management in Alberta. I suggest instead of "sitting around," you make a effort to inform you political representatives you want change in these areas.

The issue is as more Albertans moves to urban centres and cities rural/outdoor lifestyles political considerations diminish regardless of party -- this is a numbers problem not a political party one.

Writing loaded questions about light-bulbs that save a ton of money and are more sustainable for the environment you appear to enjoy is plain stupid. If you look at the current agenda (last 20 years in Alberta/Canada) of the right in terms of sustainability of wild life management they've scraped tons of protectionary acts, departments and taken away land access i.e. oil companies getting private roads and land permissions.

The theory that the right wing is the outdoorsmens friend is a false fallacy. They're run by money just like the left, if you believe otherwise you're buying the propaganda (bull****) they're selling.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Apologies for the hijack: but what happened to the Raven Brood station? They used to have a facebook and it has since gone offline. Was always curious what went down....
Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Apologies for the hijack: but what happened to the Raven Brood station? They used to have a facebook and it has since gone offline. Was always curious what went down....
Lol. Not a hijack. You're trying to get the thread back on track after some "political analysis".

Most recent info I found was here:

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/20...-the-catching/
Old 07-13-2018, 10:27 AM

maybe you need to fish harder? always a cry of no fish when someone has a bad day. so many factors to fishing, sometimes numbers has nothing to do with catch rates. JMO cant catch huge numbers every time, or even fish every time. doesnt necessarily mean the numbers are down!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Lol. Not a hijack. You're trying to get the thread back on track after some "political analysis".

Most recent info I found was here:

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/20...-the-catching/
Very good info ,here thank-you..Since 1925 it's been in operation.WOW..Needs an upgrade very badly...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
maybe you need to fish harder? always a cry of no fish when someone has a bad day. so many factors to fishing, sometimes numbers has nothing to do with catch rates. JMO cant catch huge numbers every time, or even fish every time. doesnt necessarily mean the numbers are down!!!
Please , I have been out the five times this year . I got one fish . This is not normal. And it’s not just me noticing this. I will give it another try later this year. But 6 fish in a day is normal . One in 5 is messed up. Anyhow if I don’t complain then I’ll be a bigger loser. Went to the Reddeer river and fished for Goldeye for the first time of in my life.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Please , I have been out the five times this year . I got one fish . This is not normal. And it’s not just me noticing this. I will give it another try later this year. But 6 fish in a day is normal . One in 5 is messed up. Anyhow if I don’t complain then I’ll be a bigger loser. Went to the Reddeer river and fished for Goldeye for the first time of in my life.
1 fish in 5 days means you need to change things up. I was down there earlier this year and it was slow but I still got 5 bulls in 2 days and buddy got around the same. No luck with the cutties or rainbows though.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
1 fish in 5 days means you need to change things up. I was down there earlier this year and it was slow but I still got 5 bulls in 2 days and buddy got around the same. No luck with the cutties or rainbows though.
You just said it yourself. It’s the cuts I’m concerned about. And rainbows are just about extinct in the lower lake anyways. The bulls are the provincial pet project. Maybe I should be content with the view I guess.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 07-16-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 AM

I can also add I’m not basing my opinions on my poor catch rate. Anyways I hope it’s just me.maybe I’m losing my touch!