Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Moccasins for spot and stock

Has any one used moccasins for spot and stalk in archery/ early rifle season? I have tried the two wool sock thing a few times and found they just don't give my feet enough protection from sharp sticks and other pokey things. They also get so full of burrs I usually just throw them out. I had an old pair of moccasins but they only covered my foot up to my instep and I could see the burrs and such still being an annoyance. Has anyone ever had a pair that did up around the ankle say 6-8"? I have a pattern to make my own moccasins and even have some deer tanned hide to make them from but need a way to make a "gaiter" top for them. I have looked for a commerical made moccasin to fit this need but have not come up with anything yet. If not moccasins what other soft soled footwear have you guys used for quiet stalks?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM

I used to use a pair that were mid-calf length. They were great for sneaking around quietly when I was spot and stalk bow hunting with my recurve bow; could feel everything underfoot (that has both pros and cons!). It was hard to keep the bottoms completely waterproof as they got lots of wear and tear in the bush. They lasted about 3 seasons' by then they were just about worn through in a couple of spots. I suppose I could have put another layer of tougher hide on the sole. They weren't so good in snow - not much grip! But they were actually warmer than I thought they would be.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 AM

Ive got a pair I use for just that activity. They’d be close to mid shin when done up. I’ve got a thinner, slip on rubber booty if it’s wet or I’ve got to walk on a bunch of gravel or something of that nature. As mentioned, you feel everything. I just bought a pair of el cheapo felt boot insoles and after trimming some unknown type of rubber flooring (3 or 4mm maybe?) to the same size as the felt, glued them together. Makes all the difference when not running the outer booty.

As far as material, deer is fine for your uppers but I haven’t enjoyed much life when deer was used on the soles. Moose will give you the best life on the sole in my experience. I’m currently running elk uppers and moose soles. Got to be on my fifth or six season with them.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM

I have a pair that I were almost all of hunting season .. they are great depending on the terrain you hunt and the weather ..personally I find it easier to roll an ankle if your hunting steep terrain ..if it’s going to be raining or wet snow I don’t wear them .. but very useful and comfortable .. plus they are so light it making it way nicer to walk in compared to rubber boots or baffins
Old 07-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Did you guys make your own or buy them? I'm very interested in trying this out.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Default Slick

Got a friend of mine into bowhunting years ago. He tried the moccasins. Slick in moist conditions. Other than that, he liked them. BEL
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM

You could buy a pair at the Hanna gun show this weekend.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 PM

These and a pair of Moccasin rubbers work very well. . fall and winter.
warm, light and quiet , but not waterproof.

https://www.rusclothing.com/russian-...ki-felt-boots/
Old 07-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
These and a pair of Moccasin rubbers work very well. . fall and winter.
warm, light and quiet , but not waterproof.

https://www.rusclothing.com/russian-...ki-felt-boots/
Those felt booties look like burr magnets
Old 07-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You could buy a pair at the Hanna gun show this weekend.
Not able to be anywhere near Hanna this weekend. I live north of GP
Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM

My wading boots for fly fishing come with removable felt soles and removable studded soles... I just got them this spring, but as soon as i saw them, i thought about using the felt soles for spot and stalk bowhunting. They’re stiffer than my early season boots, and I’m sure they’d pick up burrs like crazy...
Has anyone tried that before?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Those felt booties look like burr magnets
I haven't found that. I wear them under a pair of wool pants or Bibs.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Did you guys make your own or buy them? I'm very interested in trying this out.
My current pair were made by Pocket Lake Furs(Outfitters maybe). She was doing some trade shows in Alberta years ago and had what I wanted but not in my size. Mailed her traced outlines of my feet for sizing and they came in the mail a few weeks later.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM

I ordered mine from rochford bridge trading post ..
Old 07-20-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I used to use a pair that were mid-calf length. They were great for sneaking around quietly when I was spot and stalk bow hunting with my recurve bow; could feel everything underfoot (that has both pros and cons!). It was hard to keep the bottoms completely waterproof as they got lots of wear and tear in the bush. They lasted about 3 seasons' by then they were just about worn through in a couple of spots. I suppose I could have put another layer of tougher hide on the sole. They weren't so good in snow - not much grip! But they were actually warmer than I thought they would be.
You can get ground up recycled tires (crumbs) in Edmonton, tire recycling shop in west end. Mix tire crumbs with contact cement and put on the sole of your mocs. Let dry. If it wears off, just put more on. I have been using this on my Arrow Bush Boots for years, no issues in the bush. Provides traction on wet surfaces too.
MakwaMocassins on Etsy makes great, inexpensive mocs. He is out of Sudbury. Great guy!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 PM

I hung up he moccasins when I had to retire the spear.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM

I made a pair of winter moccasins from a kit from Lureofthenorth.com. I used moose hide lowers and canvas uppers. I didn't get them done until after hunting season, but I did a few hikes and snowshoe trips to try them out. They use a large felt inner boot. They are incredibly warm and more quiet in some conditions, but crunchy snow is crunchy snow. The boot and leather is enough to softer the pokey sticks out (mostly). They can be tough to go up and down some of the steep hills we have in the foothills here once there's snow on the ground. I'll likely get the sole kit they now sell to get a bit more grip and protection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4074.jpg (37.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 PM

I have used moccasins in the past , used to wear them with moccasin rubbers in the winter and summer .
I prefer Redwing ironwirker boots however without the steel toe.
Waterproof and you can feel small sticks etc under you feet
Cat
Old 07-20-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
My wading boots for fly fishing come with removable felt soles and removable studded soles... I just got them this spring, but as soon as i saw them, i thought about using the felt soles for spot and stalk bowhunting. They’re stiffer than my early season boots, and I’m sure they’d pick up burrs like crazy...
Has anyone tried that before?
Used to walk in those felt soles boots all over between different electro fishing jobs. Horrible on any decently wet slope with grasses on it. Slid all over the place.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I suppose I could have put another layer of tougher hide on the sole. They weren't so good in snow - not much grip! But they were actually warmer than I thought they would be.
I wonder if you could use something similar to climbing skins that backcountry skiers use for going uphill in the snow? I think they were made from mohair but that could possibly only work with the surface area that they have.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 PM

Default Moccasins are very quiet.

We used to get our wrap around moccasins from the Halfway Reserve and use moccasin rubbers over them. Take the rubbers off if I was stocking in close trying to be supper stealthy.
We would just trace our foot and send it to the lady that made them. Fit like a glove every time.
Slippery as hell if it snowed while you were sheep hunting though.
The exact same smoke tanned moose hide wrap around moccasins and rubbers they sell here.
But we payed $70 instead of over $200 Ouch!
http://www.trappersden.ca/Moccasins.htm

Last edited by BuckCuller; 07-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 AM

I've been testing out crocs for this exact purpose, a pair weighs about 2 ozs and are ultra plush and quiet... they don't pick up the burrs and bush like fabric does... plus I then have the crocs to wear in the evening around the fire
Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 AM

When I was a kid, I remember a number of natives using moccasins and those rubber slip over shoes, what I would call galoshes. A little more protection for the moccasins and feet, still very quiet.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Loved the moccasins when I was much younger and used them to stalk elk/moose. Very quiet and less weight seemed you could track elk all day.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default Moccs

That's sounds like a great idea
I can also hook you up with the best mocs made
Custom sizes and colors with beading and fur
Theyre excellent for comfort and warmth
Would likely be quiet for hunting never taught that way
PM for prices and pics
Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Default moccasins

check out crooked horn . I think they are called sneaky feet or safari sneekers. I have a pair, they are deadly quiet.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:25 PM

A pair of river running shoes or boots have rubber soles and feel like a sock on the foot. More durable than moccasins and doesn't matter if they get wet. The only thing is they don't offer much foot protection.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-29-2018, 01:02 PM

I have a pair of low cut boggs that worked really well moose hunting last year. I think they would work way better than moccasins as they are water proof and also give you the feel of the forest floor. The tight fit kept the crap out , but not much for ankle support. I didn't read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating something someone else said .