Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Waterfowl Ammo Help for a newbie

Hello,

I started waterfowl hunting last year and I am looking for some insight into what ammo to use.

Last season I was using Winchester 12-Gauge #2 Steel Shells which was good early in the season, but later didn't seem to take down Canadas well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:44 PM

BB and 1550 fps or faster either in 3" or 3.5" brands aren't a deal breaker.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
BB and 1550 fps or faster either in 3" or 3.5" brands aren't a deal breaker.
I agree I had been using 3" BB Kent for a few years and it worked well but a couple years ago I switched to SCORE (cheaper) and it works just as well in my Maxus with IC choke. 3" BB,1 or 2 seem to be the overall favorites with the BB definitely the most popular for geese.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM

3" Kent Fasteel, #2 works fine for late season honkers. If #2 won't kill them, they are too far, or you aren't placing the pattern properly. Many people don't lead enough, and don't get pellets into the head/neck area.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:17 PM

At what range(s) were you engaging the birds?
The fact is that I have seen way to many birds being engaged in the 50-70 yard range with reduced results. This is regardless of extended "long range chokes" or shot size or length of the cartridge. The closer you engage your percentage of kills will go up....... get the birds as close as possible. I use a 2 3/4 inch steel BB or #2 shot and I will not engage if I feel the birds are to far away.
This is just my 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Geese are at the correct distance to shoot when you see their landing gear come down.....
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I agree I had been using 3" BB Kent for a few years and it worked well but a couple years ago I switched to SCORE (cheaper) and it works just as well in my Maxus with IC choke. 3" BB,1 or 2 seem to be the overall favorites with the BB definitely the most popular for geese.
Do you know who stocks score ammo in Central Ab Bob?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 PM

I use Winchester mostly for the price I can get them for. Think they were $100 a case USA for me this year or $125 CAN. Other brands are just as good. Kent is known to be a bit of a dirtier load but clean your gun and it's not an issue they all work.
I like 3.5" 3's for snows and specks
3" 3's for Ducks and BB for Geese. Going to try straight 2's for 3" this year and see how that does. I get a lot of hunters that get lazy and don't like to switch shells or don't have time to and get caught with shooting 3's at big honkers
Old 07-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Geese are at the correct distance to shoot when you see their landing gear come down.....
Very true! Last year I shot 2-3/4" #2 and had no problem knocking them down when they were in close!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Is it ducks or geese, or both? Past flying or over decoys?

I do shot them over decoys and use 2 3/4" shells loaded with 1 1/8 #1 or #B at 1550fps in the beginning of the season.
Later on, I switch to 3" shells loaded with 1 1/8 #B or #BB at 1600fps. I use these loads for jump shooting and pass flying geese too.

Another thing to consider is the choke. Different loads with different speeds and shots sizes, pattern differently. Check what works best with your gun/ammo.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Agreed. I shoot plain old Winchester Super X -3"-BB.

I find all 3.5"s do is make you pull and miss
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese&quackers View Post
Hello,

I started waterfowl hunting last year and I am looking for some insight into what ammo to use.

Last season I was using Winchester 12-Gauge #2 Steel Shells which was good early in the season, but later didn't seem to take down Canadas well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Work well for me thru out the season. Mind your range, and get a buddy to throw some clays for you.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM

The simple truth, is that the best way to improve your success on geese, is to improve your shooting ability, and the best way to do that, s to go out and shoot some skeet or sporting clays. We had one fellow show up for skeet this spring, because he was not able to kill many geese last fall, and after breaking three clays on his first round of skeet, it became obvious why he did so poorly on geese. If you can't put the pattern on the birds, you won't kill them, no matter what ammunition you use.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:38 PM

#2 scores or winchester are my go-to for geese. sometimes if its big honkers i will step up to bb but for the most part the bread and butter is #2. if you find yourself not able to kill em with 2s then you need to practice some more or stop shooting them so far away.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 PM

I use Kent 3" 1 oz 20 gauge over decoys , and also 12 bore 2 3/4" brass and 95 grains black powder with 1 1/8 oz of #2 Bismuth with no issues at all .
I havecalsobsed 2 3/4" 20 and 22 gauge with great success .
Wait until the gear is gown and they are back paddling and you will kill them cleanly .
I don't attempt to sky bust them or attempt long pass shooting shots with my guns, no need to over the decoys
Cat
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
UFA still stocks and sells Score and plans to carry it indefinitely😂. I am interested if anyone else will sell Score now that Wholesale is out. I like #4 for the first two shots over decoys B.B. for the last one. 4s crush them within 30 yards in the neck, head. Blood everywhere though, makes a mess. I like to eat my birds though, 4s keep the meat on my plate from being all bloodshot and feathered. May as well keep the mess to the field.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 07-20-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 PM

Interesting to hear you guys talking about Score so much. I would love some more info on it. I can get it for about $100 a case so it would be nice to save a few bucks if it seems to work as well as guys say. I may have to give it a try
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Interesting to hear you guys talking about Score so much. I would love some more info on it. I can get it for about $100 a case so it would be nice to save a few bucks if it seems to work as well as guys say. I may have to give it a try
It’s real clean burning and hits hard. If you order some up and have excess to sell let me know,I will take 5 cases at that price.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I would be interested to get a case of 3" #3 1 1/8 and the same in BB in 12 gauge for that price .
Since they closed Wholesale in Calgary I don't even know where to buy it.
Good quality ammo out of my experience . I stopped using Kent when Score was available .
S12
Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 PM

Default Score shotshells.

Quote:
I mostly shoot Super X Winchester #2’s.

Score works fine but the score boxes are weak and they fall apart in my blind. It drives me nuts if the bottom of the blind is dirty with mud and straw.

This year I’m going to use a lot of blindside because I picked up a few cases in the Kamloops wholesale sports for $130 a case 3” and 3 1/2”.
Go figure not many people shoot waterfowl around there. Could have bought three pallets worth.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
UFA still stocks and sells Score and plans to carry it indefinitely😂. I am interested if anyone else will sell Score now that Wholesale is out. I like #4 for the first two shots over decoys B.B. for the last one. 4s crush them within 30 yards in the neck, head. Blood everywhere though, makes a mess. I like to eat my birds though, 4s keep the meat on my plate from being all bloodshot and feathered. May as well keep the mess to the field.
The UFA by me carries it as well, not sure the price as we bought a few cases back when Wholesale was closing down.
Canadian Manufacturer which is nice
https://prairieshotammo.com/find-a-dealer
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 PM

Checked out Romar sports in stettler and have lots of variety and the lowest prices I’ve seen anywhere.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
https://prairieshotammo.com/find-a-dealer
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
It’s real clean burning and hits hard. If you order some up and have excess to sell let me know,I will take 5 cases at that price.
I can do that. I might look into getting it next year. It is min. 100 cases ordered and that is what I buy every year. You have peaked my interest. What speed is it going? I bet it can't be any different than Winchester but I havn't researched it
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I mostly shoot Super X Winchester #2’s.

Score works fine but the score boxes are weak and they fall apart in my blind. It drives me nuts if the bottom of the blind is dirty with mud and straw.

This year I’m going to use a lot of blindside because I picked up a few cases in the Kamloops wholesale sports for $130 a case 3” and 3 1/2”.
Go figure not many people shoot waterfowl around there. Could have bought three pallets worth.
Great price for that stuff. I don't know what is a good deal on 3 inch winchester any more in the store but I bet $150 is a normal price for it these days is it not? I wouldn't mind ordering for guys but I bet it is illegal for me to do so without proper paperwork so I don't think I want to start doing that right now.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:18 AM

I shot score almost exclusively last year for the first time and noticed no difference between them and the Winchester or federals that I normally shoot. I'd definately shoot them again especially since they're a Canadian made shell and are cheap, but now with wholesale sports closed they're tough to find around here.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 AM

I use BB’s but last year started reloading my own. This year I plan on looking at duplex loads to see how they pattern.

Leading birds and judging distance/velocity is the biggest problem with folks hunting geese.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Don't listen to any advice except advice that matches mine!

If your not killing them with 2's - it's your shooting not your ammo.

Shoot the cheapest 2's or 3's you can find and shoot lots.

When I shoot with guys that are using bb's or bigger I make sure the bag don't get mixed. They can take home their own hamburger!

I find most guys over lead waterfowl, especially over decoys. Centre mass and pull the trigger you will be surprised how easy 1 1/8 ounce 3's make em crater.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Score

I was patterning a shotgun with 23/4 inch 2 shot on an old piece of sheet metal.
Score only dented the metal.
Kent went right through.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Don't listen to any advice except advice that matches mine!

If your not killing them with 2's - it's your shooting not your ammo.

Shoot the cheapest 2's or 3's you can find and shoot lots.

When I shoot with guys that are using bb's or bigger I make sure the bag don't get mixed. They can take home their own hamburger!

I find most guys over lead waterfowl, especially over decoys. Centre mass and pull the trigger you will be surprised how easy 1 1/8 ounce 3's make em crater.
..or do as a couple other guys have suggested and center the pattern on their head/neck area then nobody gets shot up breast meat

Tags
ammo, shotgun, waterfowl, waterfowl hunting