Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 PM

.223 is a widely used hunting caliber in many jurisdictions in America

YouTube never lies ... /s
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=223+deer

Tons of KE at the terminal ranges of most hunters skill level - which is usually far shorter than many of us would admit.

As for the argument that larger is better - I have witnessed many hunters shoot very large rigs without anymore success than smaller rigs.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:11 PM

Yes that's what I thought North West.

I've never had an issue being "slightly" over gunned with what I can handle.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I guess I read wrong,but whatever your going to get or have, it's still gonna be the same as before,wish you the best on your hunts and enjoy to the fullest.

CHEERS

JD
You bet thanks and get fishin.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Well I cant speak for BC,but I do in fact know dozens upon dozens if not hundreds of hunters in my native NB where ANY centerfire rifle is legal for deer(and bear and moose for that matter),and have shared a deer camp with a few dozen of them at least,and I don't know a SINGLE ONE OF THEM that tote around a .22cal for deer hunting.....or at least not until they've cut their own tag.
The thing is,NB does have a MAXIMUM caliber restriction,that being that it is illegal to be in a resort of game outside of big game season,OR during open season without a valid licence, with a centerfire greater than .23
Soooooo....that said.....lotsa grandmas.wifes,Uncle Joes deer get tagged with .22-250/.223 etc after buddy cut his tag and hunts the rest of season with a .22cal,in fact,I know of many guys who's sole purpose for even owning a.223 is not to hunt coyotes,but to have a .223 in camp for anybody that tags out early to use.
Other then a few blowhards on a NB hunting forum that I visit who like to espouse the virtues of the magical killing power of smallbores(much like here on AO) :P I don't personally know a single soul out of a couple hundred hunters ive known in NB that carries their .22-250 on Opening Day of deer season.....yet they'll praise it's amazing deer slaying capabilities after their tag is punched and they are hunting for the wife's deer....go figger??
If its such an amazing deer cartridge,why does EVERYBODY I know in NB carry their ,30 cals on opening day and until they are no longer legal to do so instead of just hunting with their Hammer of Thor .223 from day one,lol

I can tell this for fact....22cals have a notorious,well earned reputation in NB as the poachin rifle....in fact,varmint season at one time was year round but they amended the F&W Act to year round minus the period of Sept 20-30 because guys figured out that they could buy a $12 coyote/varmint licence and put every swingin Rick in the field with a .22-250 to help their buddies fill their moose tags.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

I suppose we should pose this question to the resident hunting/gun expert with 20 years guiding experience.

If you had a hunter that had a 223 and a 308, he shot Barnes bullets out of both and with both guns he shot 1" groups. What gun would you recommend he used for the hunting trip?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Ha that's a good question.

A Royal Bull Elk has given the shooter a chance for a harvest at 350 or 420 yards.

What gun would you want in your hands.

223 or or the caliber that a person shoots comfortable.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I suppose we should pose this question to the resident hunting/gun expert with 20 years guiding experience.

If you had a hunter that had a 223 and a 308, he shot Barnes bullets out of both and with both guns he shot 1" groups. What gun would you recommend he used for the hunting trip?
Maybe when you grow up some of what I've been saying will sink in, until then I'm done wasting my energy on you.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Maybe when you grow up some of what I've been saying will sink in, until then I'm done wasting my energy on you.
I'm gonna guess that you don't want to answer? If I were a accomplished hunter/guide and had a choice what I'd want my client to use, the 223 would be left at home.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I'm gonna guess that you don't want to answer?
You do whatever you want, I could care less.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Ha that's a good question.

A Royal Bull Elk has given the shooter a chance for a harvest at 350 or 420 yards.

What gun would you want in your hands.

223 or or the caliber that a person shoots comfortable.
Heck at any range?
My answer to this is my own personal favorite. A m695 tikka in 338wm.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 07-21-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You do whatever you want, I could care less.
No need to get upset is there? Substitute your 6.5 for the 308 if it floats your boat. Just looking for your professional opinion is all.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Will a .223 kill a deer? of course it will. Anyone who thinks it's too small to kill a deer grew up in Alberta and has been brainwashed into thinking anything less than a .243 shouldn't be used on big game. West 05 just said he knows lots of guys in new brunswick that use it for poaching..... pretty sure that means it works.
Some guys on here talking about poor shots. A poor shot made with a .30 caliber many times yields the same result as a poor shot made with a .22 caliber... wasted game.
That being said, every gun, and every hunter has their limitations. As hunters, we each have a responsibility to know them. They are different for each of us.
My effective range is different than my daughters with the same rifle.
Chuck, a .223 is too small to shoot an Alberta deer. (They have body armour I think). In reality, you and I know a .223 would get the job done, but there are cartridges better suited for the task. I just had a break put on my .243 to reduce the recoil to an acceptable level for my 10 yr old daughter to hunt this year. It's probably the best alternative for your situation. It's cheaper than moving to BC.

Last edited by Huevos; 07-21-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You think they were shooting 22 mag, if that's true, because it was a good moose medicine cartridge or because it was cheap? Pump enough lead into anything from .22rf up into an animal and sooner or later it'll fall over.

I have no doubts that head shots with a 22mag would be more than adequate in the 25-75 yard range. Just not the best prescription, and anyone with enough sense to come in out of the rain would agree.
You have little idea how the Indians used to hunt moose.

25 to 75 yards?
More like 25 feet, sneaking up on a sleeping moose
and putting a .22 LR in the base of the ear.

Chuck... some advice.
You're shooting too high for the crowd at hand.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
You have little idea how the Indians used to hunt moose.

25 to 75 yards?
More like 25 feet, sneaking up on a sleeping moose
and putting a .22 LR in the base of the ear.... and then he woke up.

Chuck... some advice.
You're shooting too high for the crowd at hand.
..waaay too high. Missed again.

From what I recall, some of their most popular cartridges were .303, .300 Savage, 30-30 and 30-06, The real Native hunters of the time knew what they were doing... mostly because they were actually doing it.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 PM

Personal insults have become ridiculous. Grow up people. Closed.
Closed Thread