Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 04:10 PM

Just wondering if anyone else was drawn for anterless elk in 300A September 6 – October 24?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Hunting Partner

Hello all I am a 20 year old guy named Ethan. I am just looking to get into hunting and learning all the basics. If there is anyone here who's brain I could pick with some questions that would be awesome! Also if there is anyone interested in being a mentor I would love to listen and learn from you. You can either PM me here or feel free to email me at ethanr90@hotmail.com. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 PM

Default loking to learn

evening folks. i notice hunters like to keep their secrets to them selves but ill try anyway. 33 year male from st. Albert. 2nd year as a hunter. looking to learn some of the old tricks or even anything from someone. don't go very far learning on my own. even looking to hangout to go do some target shooting as this is a new hobby for me. im not a social media facebook person so took me a while to get on here so lets see what happens.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo850 View Post
evening folks. i notice hunters like to keep their secrets to them selves but ill try anyway. 33 year male from st. Albert. 2nd year as a hunter. looking to learn some of the old tricks or even anything from someone. don't go very far learning on my own. even looking to hangout to go do some target shooting as this is a new hobby for me. im not a social media facebook person so took me a while to get on here so lets see what happens.
send me a PM. Im in Fort Sask
Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Default Edmonton partner wanted

I am looking for a partner that has been drawn for an early season rifle moose hunt as i have not.
I am sure there are a few out there that have a tag and never shot one.
I have shot many moose and know this is not a solo hunt a new hunter should do on his own or even an experience hunter.
I have all the gear including a walk in cooler and have butchered many moose.
As normal every thing gets split 50/50 except you take the shot.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
Looking for someone to go mulie, whitetail, or elk hunting this fall during rifle season. I'm not picky as to what we hunt if you have something specific you want to hunt. Just moved to Calgary, so anywhere around 4 hours from there is fine. I been hunting in BC for the last 5 years with a few moose, deer, and bear down. I can drive, share gas, share meat the usual situation. I'm 27 PM for any more information. If no one is interested thats fine i'll head out solo anyways. If you want to scout or go to the range in the spring summer i am up for that as well.

Moe.

Pm. me out, im looking for someone to go out for scouting, this year is my first season to hunt, i read lots from experience hunter about big games habitats but never had chance to see them, except tons of mule deer....didn't draw any tag but, i'll try my best...
Bunch of places in my list to checkout before the season... we can head out every weekend till big game season opens...
Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 PM

Jeff.
crowsnest pass area
elk, bighorn, deer, bear.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimotocco View Post
Hello Tom, I read your post and wander if you have found a hunting partner. I am in the exact same situation this year. I am retired and I live in Calgary. My wife is also concerned about my safety and also it is not to much fun to hunt alone. I have permission to hunt (usually) in a big section of land not very far from Calgary. I hunted for almost forty years in Ontario (bow) and since 2001 in Alberta (gun only). As I previously stated since I am retired, like you, I am free to go anytime. I will leave my phone number If you will be interested to talk more. One more thing, I will be on holiday in Europe from July 30 returning September 17. My name is Massimo and this is my cell #(403)472-1947
My name is Ted and I just moved to Olds from B.C. I am also retired and looking to find people to hunt with. As the username says I mostly hunt birds, waterfowl and upland, but do hunt deer and bear. Anyone interested can call my cell (778)549-4212 or PM me.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Default Is Anyone available for August 11-12, scouting

Hi guys and girls, i am heading out for scouting in few zones near to Calgary, dates above is current schedule but later weekends i'll be out there scouting too, if anyone wants to join you are more than welcome, bears are out and active, so I don't want to go solo, after scouting if we still have time maybe some target shooting too ... pm me... from Calgary...
Old 08-10-2018, 12:39 PM

This is a shout out to dwyldethang. Don't know what is happening but it looks like my replies to you are going into the Bermuda Triangle. I will try some other ideas but I have put my cell number on this thread, so if you want to call and figure out our next step, Please do. Ted
Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Hey there.

Total new guy here, never hunted before in my life, just wrote the AHEIA test. I'm 41 years old, but have a bunch of kids and my own business, so not a huge amount of time.

I live in the Aspen area of Calgary so have been looking at doing some upland game bird scouting off of Hwy 66, and maybe ranging further afield in WMUs 310, 312, 404, and 406. I understand, from reading on here, that Blue Grouse are not easy to find, but I wouldn't mind looking for some, and if it turns into a day of hiking without spotting any birds, that's still a good day for me.

For now I'm only really looking at birds because I have no idea on how to field dress any large game - something I hope to figure out in subsequent years.

Anyway, I had planned on just doing all this by myself, but if anyone out there is interested, I'm always happy for company and to learn from others.

Word of caution though:

1) I'm a desk jockey so my hiking fitness likely sucks;
2) I'm a pretty quiet person so if you're looking for a constant stream of chatter in a hunting partner, I'm probably not that guy; and
3) My shotgun skills are subpar, so I was going to focus on just picking off the little buggers with a .22.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Need a hunting partner

I thought I had found a hunting partner for this coming year but something must have happened as I got a PM saying they were unable to hunt this year. So I am putting out the word.
I am 67 years old and looking for someone to hunt upland birds and waterfowl this year.
For waterfowl, I have full body and shell goose decoys. I have field and floater duck decoys and I have a layout blind.
Right now, my upland hunting is a bit challenged as my pointer is only 13 mo. old and this will be his first season. I can probably do upland by myself on the release sites and bring Tex along without ruining a more experienced dogs hunt.
If anyone is interested in meeting and having a cuppa, please reply or PM or call my cell. (778)549-4212
Old 08-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Looking for an experienced archery elk Hunter, have my own cabin on a quarter of land in Prime elk country tough to find guys to hunt with as I sometimes get lots of time off looking for someone that has calling experience and can take turns doing the calling I have not killed one with my bow yet but I'm very experienced Hunter ex guide I will more than likely have two weeks off in archery season before the 16th anyone interested give me a p.m. also must have a quad thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2018, 10:16 PM

Default New to Alberta, not hunting

Hey y'all,

My name is Joe, I am 27 years old and have been hunting for as long as I can remember. I am as ethical as they come my father raised me damn right, Im a hunter after all, aren't I? I think about hunting every waking moment, the thought of a pursuit of an animal makes my heart race, theres nothing like it for me.

Im originally from Ontario where I hunted waterfowl, bear, deer and moose. I recently moved to Banff and am itching to get out for an elk hunt. I know how hush hush hunters are with their hunting spots but I assure you I am not looking to move in on your 6x6 bulls.

I am looking for someone or a group of people who are willing to allow me to tag along on their elk hunt, I am mostly looking for the experience to chase screaming elk through the mountains and hills of Alberta. I am happy to not hunt with your group but just to be a part of the pursuit.

This is very different from what I am used to and I am realizing that I need some guidance in Alberta.

I am able to meet anyone willing to give me an experience before hand.

This sounds like a dating profile...but I'm okay with it.

Thank you.

Joe

Last edited by demarjos; 08-19-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Upland Game Hunting Partner

Looking for a serious upland hunting partner in the Calgary region.(Southern Alberta)

Must have your own truck(running), dog(upland dog),money(credit) guns(more than one antique gun), good boot collection(prepared to use them), non-smokers only, non-political,whiskey drinking-beef eating, good not great shooter(no Dick Cheney's), weekends free, vacation time used for hunting type person, polite (Not an ass), not french(you know why), sense of humor(obviously) along with your own hunting areas.

Must know how to hunt upland, along with the regulations. (No first Timers)

Willing to travel all over southern Alberta,Montana, North-South Dakotas.

Send photos of dog along with training records. (PM Me if you fit the bill)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Default New to Northern Alberta

I feel like im doing a personal ad. LOL! My name is James Gibson. Im 47, from Texas and now living in GP. Avid hunter of all things edible back home. And moving up to me and my fathers dream of elk, bear, and wolves. Have all my liscenses so far. And not pulled tags yet as im not sure what area ill be hunting with my wife who is an resident Albertan. I was told 357 and 358 are good producers. But, as im from Texas the bush is different than what I know, so i dont know what to look for in a good hunting area. Soooo.... I was hoping to find someone to join or join us that knows of a good area to goto as well as show me the ropes as the case may be. Willing to travel a couple hours in any direction at least. We have a camper as well but no quad. Hope to hear from one or 2 of you. sh4dd0w@gmail.com or 587-343-2749
Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
I thought I had found a hunting partner for this coming year but something must have happened as I got a PM saying they were unable to hunt this year. So I am putting out the word.
I am 67 years old and looking for someone to hunt upland birds and waterfowl this year.
For waterfowl, I have full body and shell goose decoys. I have field and floater duck decoys and I have a layout blind.
Right now, my upland hunting is a bit challenged as my pointer is only 13 mo. old and this will be his first season. I can probably do upland by myself on the release sites and bring Tex along without ruining a more experienced dogs hunt.
If anyone is interested in meeting and having a cuppa, please reply or PM or call my cell. (778)549-4212
What part of the world are you in ?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 AM

I live in Olds but am retired and as the old TV show said "Have fuel Will travel"
Old 08-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Back country elk with horses

I have a couple horses and am going into the backcountry looking for elk in late September with a general tag. I usually go into the Willmore looking for sheep but things didn’t work out this year. Not exactly sure where I’m going right now. I’m 54 years old and will do my share around camp. I’m an experienced hunter and horseman. Ideally I’d like to tag along with a hunter or two who could use the extra help and who know where to go. I have everything except a tent and stove.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Bow hunting partner

My names Kyle I'm 30yrs old and have been trying to get into hunting the last 3 years.
I wanna get into bow hunting more. I've only took down a Bear earlier this year with my bow.
I'm looking to see if theres any other bow hunters out there that could possible show me a few things about hunting. I'm still learning and willing.
I'd like to do more hunting with my bow but dont really know where to start. A little help and a buddy would be awesome.
I'd really like an Elk one day but will work up to it. Pretty much willing to travel anywhere in alberta for hunting.
I got my bear 4hours north of Edmonton and would drive it every weekend to get it. I do have a truck and a side by side to get me around and a good set of legs too .
Any kind of info tips or tricks would be handy. Feel free to email me ksherburne87@gmail.com or text me at 7809834423.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM

Default partner

well i am 60 years old and and i am a little slow on the right side because of a brain tumor .i dont have a drivers license but would pay my share of the gas.i love to hunt or just get out of the house for the day,i have no commitments so i am good with anything you decide.Iam very saftey driven so you need not worry aboyt that.If you are looking for a paretner give me a call 780-381 6887 and ask for dennis thanks. Im in the fort mcmurray area.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Duck duck goose

Hey guys,
Don’t post much but this time of year I follow along steadily. Watching the geese start to move on my drive to work this morning and got me thinking; anybody willing to take me out in the Edmonton vicinity and show me the ropes? Want to try geese or ducks, I’m open to either. I don’t have much in the way of waterfowl gear other than personal gear (no blind, decoys, etc.) and I’ll be grabbing a new 12ga maybe this weekend (current defender might not be the best choice lol). I’m 35, work oil patch, wife, young son, live southwest, have truck, dependable, and punctual, willing to do the dirty work. Any takers? TIA
Old 08-28-2018, 11:43 PM

Cool Looking for a bow or rifle hunting partner

Hey guys , I haven't been on here in a couple of years so I will reintroduce myself . My name is Doug and I live in Grande Prairie, Ab . I am currently going into my 7th year of hunting. I am still in the hunt for my first bull elk and whitetail buck . I bagged my first bull moose on November 1 , 2015 up by Peace River ,Ab with my wifes' uncle . This will be my first year hunting with a bow and would really like to find another hunting partner around Grande Prairie to bow hunt with and maybe continue with rifle season too if I don't get anything in bow season . I own a Hoyt Power-Max Long draw bow in mossy oak camo . I also like to fish as well with my little girl and youngest boy in and around the area on my days off . I work in the oil Patch as a Nitrogen Supervisor . Pm myself if anyone from Grande Prairie or surrounding area . Looking forward to hear from someone soon. And happy hunting out there guys and be safe .
Old 09-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Default Bow/ Rifle Hunting Partners

Hello all!
From the Red Deer area. Looking for both bow and rifle hunting partners. White tail, muley, elk, black bear.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 AM

I'm in Calgary as well. 59 years young, all the toys, but the old network has fallen apart. If you could use a 3rd wheel, please let me know. Rifle-bow-early-late.

Last edited by Bowser; 09-02-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Bow as well
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Looking for relaxed upland hunter in SE Calgary

I'm touching 70 now, two dog / pets / Britts for Huns n the odd pheasant. Like to go during the week SE of Calgary. You must be prepared to share lunch with dogs, they expect that!!

I would like someone to enjoy the casual trips with, I generally get out 2 or 3 time a week, from 8 - 9ish to 3ish from late Sept. on. In addition have small trailer set up for geese c/w blinds, and extra goose / duck decoys, I will only shoot from willow blind now due to mobility issues and really that's just the way I like it.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Moved to Alberta from BC last Sept and have noone to archery hunt with this fall. I'm planning on going out and exploring territory on my own regardless but would obviously much rather a little company and some direction of where I could get into some elk. I'm 28 and have hunted for the past 16 years. I am extremely passionate/obsessed about calling/hunting elk and would love the opportunity to go out with anyone to help out. For the opportunity to find and be into the elk I'd love to even simply call for someone and help pack meat out if needed. Message me if you need a caller/meat packer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Finishing my scouting before the opening day at WMU 406 for archery moose, If anyone in the same are is looking for someone to hook up, PM me, I normally hunt along but I just got a close call with a monster grizzly, therefore seems wise to reach for others that might be heading the same direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Hunting Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
I live in Olds but am retired and as the old TV show said "Have fuel Will travel"

Hello there Birdbeast, I am also in Olds, looking for someone to do some goose/ duck hunting with this fall. I am new to it, and only have a coffin blind and shotgun. Hoping to team up with someone who has some decoys.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Default First Time Bowhunter Looking for a Hunting Partner

I'm a 27 year old first time bow hunter looking to tag along with an experienced hunter. Though I have no prior experience, I've been shooting a compound bow for five years and have spent the last three months preparing for the season. This includes everything from watching Meateater and Ridge Reaper, daily archery practice, reading books and even going out scouting before the season.

However, I trekked through WMU 406 and realized that having a knowledgeable partner would be very beneficial (and I'm admittedly still apprehensive about field dressing and hauling out an animal on my own).

I have gear suited for spot and stalk and my own means of transportation. I have general tags for mule, whitetail and elk. I live in Calgary and am willing to travel up to 3 hours to meet with a gracious hunting partner willing to take me under their wing.

I read an earlier post saying this entire thread reads like a dating profile and I can't agree more. But we all gotta start somewhere right?