Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 PM

Default All Weather Stint

Spent the last few weeks along the Eastern Slopes of Alberta. Got lucky with Old Timer's Bull Elk, but the next one will need a different approach.

Old Timer and I had the right all weather gear since we seen +27c down to -14c at night,,, then the snow storm blew in for 4 days of tuff going.
Lucky we had all the warm Gear to support our needs, but it's game changing time as I spend countless hours sitting and moving along very very slow.

This next outing is full on under the stars with what I'm wearing for 4 day stints, river bath tub time and a roll tarp.

There are a few of us that do the clothing layer thing as we change things up threw out the day,,, that way it allows us to regulate body temps.
Get rid of body heat when hot, and adding layers before we feel the chill.

My standard all weather package comes in at 35 ish lbs,,, the "test" suit for this outting comes in at 15 ish lbs,,, a 20 lb drop in weigth yet it offers 2X the thermo heat units.
This is all done with todays new moisture wick free materials that all of us can take advantage of,,, part of the trick is to never over heat in it, and allow it to air out when needed. Yes there are lots and lots of layers, but at least it allows for a longer stint out, freedom of movement, light weight, and mobility of distance beyond.

Yes my canon is heavy, but I use the old school Australia sling that makes it easy to pack and is the fastest draw set up going. Those of us that have them know there worth.

My food pack for the 4 days is a 7 day supply at 4 lbs, my filter and dye is ready to rock along with the cook pot and body water blatter,,, lots of water even though one is not thirsty.

This is year 36 of trekking as I cover a 5 to 7 mile zone """with in""" since the pod of Elk we're onto is pretty much held up here.

Road Harvesters to the south, Wolves in the East. Lots of Bears looking West and a deal braker to the North. """Kind of that is""". LOL.

Elk are like D-4 push cats,,, they can slug over top of stuff us humans don't like,,, if they have to bail that is.

My zone could change, so going after them in part 2 is where I've had my best success, the all weather suits have been part of my plan.

Some times it works, many times it does not,,, being in reach of these ghosts is tricky I find,,, not moving in and out of the area where they are """some times""" allows them to relax more.

If they feel comfortable of my presents, then they don't fear me.
I know they are there as much as they know my presents, it is up to them to slip up as I hope I don't drop the ball.

My good friend just did this on a 6x6 at 40 yards last week, this heightened my awareness 10 fold as I'm in the game after the last 2 weeks.

If I don't log in after 4 days, either a Cow Moose has taken me out, or the aliens have come to take me away. LOL.

I'll deffinatly report back on how the all weather space suit works with all the flaws and disadvantages,,, and improvements as fall becomes winter.

Alway pal Don as I try to find quality where there is none

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 09-28-2017 at 08:50 PM.