Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and post my first every blurb. It would seem to me that it's almost a bit sad that we don't have or can't find a place to stock with these fish. How many families/kids and all would love to have a place in southern alberta where they could actually fish, hook and bobber, and keep enuff fish for a beautiful fish fry? Just thinking out loud...i don't even have kids....but i used to be one.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and post my first every blurb. It would seem to me that it's almost a bit sad that we don't have or can't find a place to stock with these fish. How many families/kids and all would love to have a place in southern alberta where they could actually fish, hook and bobber, and keep enuff fish for a beautiful fish fry? Just thinking out loud...i don't even have kids....but i used to be one.
I agree! Trout are easy and can get rather boring when you have 20 ponds to choose from and only one species of one genus...no brook trout, no brown trout, just rainbows. And then they get muddy, and they don't reproduce. Why not stock some of the ponds with perch? Way cheaper. And there's the whole "overpopulation" thing but if you get people fishing for them, they don't overpopulate.

I don't get the trout thing. And it's not like I can't catch them -- far from it!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 858king View Post
I agree! Trout are easy and can get rather boring when you have 20 ponds to choose from and only one species of one genus...no brook trout, no brown trout, just rainbows. And then they get muddy, and they don't reproduce. Why not stock some of the ponds with perch? Way cheaper. And there's the whole "overpopulation" thing but if you get people fishing for them, they don't overpopulate.

I don't get the trout thing. And it's not like I can't catch them -- far from it!
Trouting is an Alberta thing.

I myself grew up fishing the great lakes and the little ponds and rivers and we all got along just fine with all the different kinds of fish.

Problem is that resources says one can only keep 15 perch. 15 isn't enough to make a meal for most families and the trout boys want their trout.
While I can understand that, they don't want other fishies competing for food or habitat with the trout.

I consider myself lucky that my son and I have been allowed to come out and fish for perch while the ice was on. Sundancefisher is extremely generous with his time and that is much appreciated. I know why he wants the perch out of there. Its completely understandable.

I think the only way we will ever have a perch only hole is for someone to build one. But to get the blessing from the resources boys won't happen as the bucket brigade will make sure to spread them all over which is the case here already.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM

I guess eh? It is for sure understandable -- get a good pond and those trout grow big, fast. I'm not saying trout ARE boring, just that they can be.

I don't see it as a war between species; I just figure there's room for all.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM

I filleted about 20 larger perch in an hour but the first couple took me much longer as I really suck at filleting since I rarely bother but it's amazing how repetition=speed.

The other 20 medium sizes I have sitting in brine ready for the smoker tonight, YUM I can't wait.

And the other 300 little fish? All our plants in the backyard say thanks to everyone Luckily our dog and cat find raw fish disgusting

Thanks again to Sundance and Badback for hosting it and the others who brought out the snacks and drinks. Good to meet a bunch of new faces to match to handles.

If you do this again on Sat, we are most likely out of town but if anyone can gather up all the excess unwanted fish and throw them in a freezer, our plants and I'd be very grateful.

Last edited by slingshotz; 05-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM

i suppose if we're gonna dream, i'd dream of a place within gunshot range of airdrie, where i could actually go and catch a nice walleye to take home to the frying pan. I'd pay way more for a fishing license if there were such dream spot.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately you are not up to speed on the facts insofar as over population of perch are concerned.

You can't catch enough of them angling to keep them from over populating. Even with high harvest...with no natural predators they breed exponentially. This is a simple fact. There is no chance the fishermen alone can keep up with the reproducing perch. Take a calculator and start with 100 perch...50 are females. At 7-8 inches they lay 30,000+ eggs. Give the eggs a 5% survival rate. Remove what you think is reasonable. With no limits on our lake and some pretty significant fishing pressure...I figure 5000 a winter and 5000 a summer is on the very high end (over estimate). After year 3 of the first season the new recruits start to spawn. The past two years the same spawning occurred. Thereafter spawning continues. As the population increases (and it will) the size decreases. As the size decreases...fishing pressure decreases. I can bet you 100 perch that you would rather catch five 10 inch trout than 100 4 inch perch any day of the week.

Guys like you say misinformation such as this and some poor excuses for human beings take it one step further and polute and vandalize lakes by putting perch in them. You must be careful in what you say for assumptions. There is not one single instance where perch have ever been a single source fishery. They don't co-exist well with any other fish other than pike and walleye. Put and take lakes due to limited size make horrible pike and walleye fisheries.

Unfortunately your idea does not work. One alternative to your idea would be to have more lakes with multiple trout species...brookies and rainbows, Rainbows and browns, splake and tiger trout...etc.

Sincerely.

Sun

P.S. Finsnfeathers... Just so you know the idea of moving perch around has come up many times before. Unfortunately disease and inbreeding concerns makes this unfeasible from our lake.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Unfortunately you are not up to speed on the facts insofar as over population of perch are concerned.

You can't catch enough of them angling to keep them from over populating. Even with high harvest...with no natural predators they breed exponentially. This is a simple fact. There is no chance the fishermen alone can keep up with the reproducing perch. Take a calculator and start with 100 perch...50 are females. At 7-8 inches they lay 30,000+ eggs. Give the eggs a 5% survival rate. Remove what you think is reasonable. With no limits on our lake and some pretty significant fishing pressure...I figure 5000 a winter and 5000 a summer is on the very high end (over estimate). After year 3 of the first season the new recruits start to spawn. The past two years the same spawning occurred. Thereafter spawning continues. As the population increases (and it will) the size decreases. As the size decreases...fishing pressure decreases. I can bet you 100 perch that you would rather catch five 10 inch trout than 100 4 inch perch any day of the week.

Guys like you say misinformation such as this and some poor excuses for human beings take it one step further and polute and vandalize lakes by putting perch in them. You must be careful in what you say for assumptions. There is not one single instance where perch have ever been a single source fishery. They don't co-exist well with any other fish other than pike and walleye. Put and take lakes due to limited size make horrible pike and walleye fisheries.

Unfortunately your idea does not work. One alternative to your idea would be to have more lakes with multiple trout species...brookies and rainbows, Rainbows and browns, splake and tiger trout...etc.

Sincerely.

Sun

P.S. Finsnfeathers... Just so you know the idea of moving perch around has come up many times before. Unfortunately disease and inbreeding concerns makes this unfeasible from our lake.
Well then -- I've been told! Good to know. I would love to fish for these if able; are there any opportunities?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Well then -- I've been told! Good to know. I would love to fish for these if able; are there any opportunities?
Sorry if I was a little blunt...it is a sore spot for me and many others. The bucket brigade live in their own little world and have ruined many, many quality fisheries. If only they were able to find out the facts before making such a horrible decision to vandalize these lakes...Alberta would of saved a lot of grief.

As for Splake and Tiger Trout...we need to do some promotion to get these back in the system. Splake have not been stocked in Alberta for probably >25 years. Tiger trout have not been stocked here but are a huge hit in Sask and Manitoba.

A few lakes around Rocky have rainbows and brookies...also up around Hinton if I recall correctly.

Some lakes have cutts and rainbows...but I can't think of any with browns and rainbows...stocked anyways. Glenmore has browns and rainbows...but the rainbows are hatchery releases and the water is big compared to a put and take lake.

Some fish like tiger trout may need special protection at least until the fishing pressure question is answered. Splake and tigers could be put in some lakes that have introduced perch to try and control them. We could release the splake and tigers and eat rainbows.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Brown/cutt/rainbow trout, bullhead catfish, sunfish, and perch all do quite well in some Vancouver Island lakes...wonder if the effort could shift towards creating balanced ecosystems with triploid pike, weed-eating carp, etc.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Brown/cutt/rainbow trout, bullhead catfish, sunfish, and perch all do quite well in some Vancouver Island lakes...wonder if the effort could shift towards creating balanced ecosystems with triploid pike, weed-eating carp, etc.
perch do not do well anywheres in BC where they are not natural. They have caused more than their share of headaches there. Not a single fisherman nor biologist would say the bucket brigade did anything more than ruin a valuable public fishery.

I am not familiar with bullhead catfish and sunfish introductions in BC. Triploid grass carp are a different beast with a different application and are not competing with native fish for food. Habitat impact may occur in large numbers but stocking locations are carefully controlled and the problem would only last till the fish dies of old age. Perch problem will still be here when you and I die of old age.

Pike is not feasible outside of the Peace drainage. They are highly predaceous and successful spawners and would severely impact the native trout and salmon populations. Bass introductions and potential pike introductions are devastating to these fisheries. To make triploid pike guaranteed infertile would cost about $30-40 per fish. What benefit is their from a cost/reward perspective. In a put and take lake I can understand the allure and benefit of introduced or unique fish to catch...but perch and bass have shown that you have to mitigate the dumbarses that do stupid things...so you can't give them the opporunity to have a ready source of perch/pike/bass to move around by bucket.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Gotcha. I'd love to go fishing for these perch if I'm welcome. I'm 1.5 hr out of town but if I could pick up a cooler full or even a hand full it'd be great.

I've heard fish farms would stun them with carbonated water and then bleed them dead. If you were to pour the fish into a tote filled with water and dry ice they'd be effectively dead; slip a knife/finger in and slash the gills and you'd have a nice clean pure white fish without the bruising or effort involved in bonking.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. I'd love to go fishing for these perch if I'm welcome. I'm 1.5 hr out of town but if I could pick up a cooler full or even a hand full it'd be great.

I've heard fish farms would stun them with carbonated water and then bleed them dead. If you were to pour the fish into a tote filled with water and dry ice they'd be effectively dead; slip a knife/finger in and slash the gills and you'd have a nice clean pure white fish without the bruising or effort involved in bonking.
No ruining the KIDS fun!

Believe it or not the kids did learn lots.
Especially once they brought some fish up to the table to be prepped and cooked.
I explained different parts to them. and then they got to help cook. (toss them on until ready.
One little girl was thrilled to see the bones seperated from the meat. She looked at the bones for a good 10 minutes. Then we talked about the human body and how that part of the fish is just like our ribs and spine.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I need all fish bonked. I am then confident they are dead. Occasionally I get people trying to smuggle some live ones out in coolers...they don't get far.

The meat seems great without the carbonation :-)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I need all fish bonked. I am then confident they are dead. Occasionally I get people trying to smuggle some live ones out in coolers...they don't get far.

The meat seems great without the carbonation :-)

The Wack Pack. Look out Bucket Brigade, you would not want to meet these club wielding kids on a shoreline. Good job guys.

Not only are the fish being taken out, but millions of eggs as well. This is the aftermath of only one tub after being dumped.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Some nice looking fish.

Who wants a couple?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM

wow thats alot of perch caviar. sorry i missed it i went fishing in the morning and forgot.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Wow looks real tasty!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:05 AM

2 hours and all the fish is done.
Used an electric rapala knife.
Worked well. My old electric knife was nicer, and it was meant only for carving turkey.

So the rapala got hot after 45 minutes and the safety mechanism was a pain. I think I might be gluing it down cause man alive it was stupid.
Let the knife cool off for a few minutes and it was good to go again.

Cost 39.99 +gst at canadian tire.

It also comes with a cig lighter attachment allowing guys to use them while out fishing.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks for the pics. Looks like everyone had lots of fun.

How about some names to go with the AO members?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
OK "Chubby" Time to introduce Mr. Legs to Mr. Sunshine.

Didn't we discuss the whole cut off jeans thing earlier?

This is what jean shorts are suppose to look like
Old 05-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post

This is what jean shorts are suppose to look like
Soooo.... You are asking me to cut mine shorter?

Dude. You hitting on me?

I'm married.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dude. You hitting on me?

I'm married.

That's ok I'm married to we just won't tell the wives........................
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Dude. You hitting on me?

I'm married.

lol that didnt take long for the reputation to zero itself again.......hahhahahahahah
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
lol that didnt take long for the reputation to zero itself again.......hahhahahahahah
Admit is chub...you have always been biperch curious
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Thanks for the help Chubb you know your suppose to stop me before this happens
Old 05-21-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Thanks for the help Chubb you know your suppose to stop me before this happens
i warned you in the other thread

i got to one thousand one....one thousand two....and BOOM...you shot your own donkey