Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 PM
sheephunter

Default New Fishing Line

It sounds like Berkley is ready to release there new Nono Fil fishing line. From their press release:

Quote:
Not a mono, Not a Braid. NanoFil is made out of gel-spun polyethylene, much like a superline. The line consists of hundreds of highest level of Dyneema nanofilaments that are molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament fishing line. NanoFil feels and handles like the smoothest monofilament while delivering superline type strength.
It sounds interesting amnd it supposed to be super small in diameter. The U.S. price I saw was $19.95 for 150 yards so not sure what it will be here.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM

I have an extra spool for one of my reels waiting for that stuff to be released. I will then be buying a spool of the nano fill and a spool of the new suffix and compare them side by side on the same set ups to see which I like more. If it is as good as they are saying it could completely change the way people look at fishing line.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 PM

You been field testing it TJ?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
You been field testing it TJ?
No, been trying to get my hands on some though.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No, been trying to get my hands on some though.
john booth retired eh?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
john booth retired eh?
Ya quite some time ago I think.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
john booth retired eh?
Harry Corvalis (sp?) is the big boss now, and I believe Al Belhuimer is the Alberta Rep, have Kelly call him and ask him to send a couple of samples
Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Harry Corvalis (sp?) is the big boss now, and I believe Al Belhuimer is the Alberta Rep, have Kelly call him and ask him to send a couple of samples
good idea, how many spools you want bob
p.s. our spintech hooks are in transit
Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Just a spool of 8# would be great!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Just a spool of 8# would be great!
the dog is on the hunt...lol
Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 PM

I will take a spool of 6 or 8 lbs if you get enough Darter. I have been waiting for awhile now to check that stuff out.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Ya that stuff is rediculously thin for mono! As soon as it comes out here I will grab a spool of 8 and may be 14 or 17
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish@ View Post
Ya that stuff is rediculously thin for mono! As soon as it comes out here I will grab a spool of 8 and may be 14 or 17
youve seen it?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 PM

did they say anything about elasticity vs mono?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 AM

sorry TU i know nothing about it
Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM

Im thinking if it is polyethylene, the stretch should be less than mono. If that is the case, and it really is only around 20 bucks for 150 yards, I am going to buy a large spool of this line right when it comes out. I am heading to a dam this fall to fish big rainbows, and you have to cast a good 150 yards to hit the best current seam below the dam. I was getting ready to order a 300 yard spool of low d carbon, but that stuff is ridiculously expensive. If it has low diameter, low stretch, casts as smooth as mono, and well priced - this stuff will be flying off the shelves. (no more braid shock leaders!)
Old 05-21-2011, 12:42 AM

zero strech
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 AM
sheephunter

It's supposed to be available in June or July. Here's all the info I've seen on it.

The Next Generation of Light Tackle Fishing Line

The world leader in fishing line development introduces a new spinning reel line that pushes the limits for minimum diameter and maximum strength. Berkley® NanoFil™, with its smooth texture and small diameter, allows anglers to effortlessly cast further with unsurpassed precision.

Walleye anglers will appreciate the markedly longer casts using NanoFil and finesse fishing for bass has never been finer.

Not a mono, Not a Braid. NanoFil is made out of gel-spun polyethylene, much like a superline. The line consists of hundreds of highest level of Dyneema nanofilaments that are molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament fishing line. NanoFil feels and handles like the smoothest monofilament while delivering superline type strength.

“Lures cast farther and dive deeper with NanoFil than with any other line I have ever used,” said Berkley Pro and 2010 Walleye Tournament Champion Johnnie Candle. “NanoFil glides through the guides for super-long casts and is deadly accurate. The ultra-small diameter gives anglers confidence when presenting baits to big, finicky fish, but the strength per diameter that this line possess is unmatched by any other line. I knew with my first cast that I was using something different.”

NanoFil line lends itself to a wide variety of techniques, but it is most useful when anglers desire an ultra small diameter line for greater casting yet also need maximum sensitivity to feel the subtlest of bites. With NanoFil, anglers can enjoy the feel of light tackle action for a wide range of species, yet still detect even the softest pickups and land what is on the end of the line.

NanoFil is designed for ultra-light to medium action spinning tackle. Anglers may want to move down a reel size for increased sensitivity.

For best knot strength results use the NanoFil Knot, a “Double Palomar” that increases knot strength by over 15% that of the standard Palomar knot. For best results, use a monofilament backing or tape to arbor if tying direct to spool. For attaching leaders to NanoFil, a Double Albright knot is recommended.

Available in pound tests ranging from 1 to 12 pounds with super thin diameters of 0.001” to 0.008”, Berkley NanoFil is available in 150-, 300- and 1500-yard spools with an MSRP of $19.95 to $179.95 USD.

FEATURES

Pound Tests (Diameter in inches)

1 (0.001), 2 (0.002), 3 (0.003), 4 (0.004), 6 (0.005), 8 (0.006), 10 (0.007) and 12 (0.008)

Colors

Clear Mist

Spool Sizes

150-yard Filler Spool

300-yard Filler Spool

1500-yard Bulk Spool

MSRP in USD

150-yard Filler Spool:

$19.95

300-yard Filler Spool:

$38.95

1500-yd Bulk Spool

$179.95 (4-12 pound test)

Uni-Filament: Unified Filament Technology

Not a mono, not a braid

Effortless Casting

Superb Sensitivity

ZERO Memory

Minimum Diameter, Maximum Strength

The thinnest Berkley line by label rating

Ideal for ultra-light to light spinning tackle
Berkley® NanoFil™ Uni-Filament Fishing Line
Old 05-21-2011, 08:26 AM

sounds good, I hope they can up the poundage soon

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Gel Spun has been around for a while but always reffered to as "Gel Spun Fly Line Backing". Not sure why this is, as its benefits are incredible.

Only now are people realizing the benefits and starting to use it for other than backing. I spool my mooching reels with gelspun. It is thinner in diameter than mono and is tougher...so you can get more on the reel in case you hook into a king that wants to take a good run.

Also, spool my fly reels with gelspun for backing. Again, benefits include the fact that it is stronger and you can spool more on your fly reel...in case that steelhead decides to really go screaming!!!

Here is what Orvis has to say about their stuff

Fly line backing for big game angling. Maximum strength fly line backing with up to 60% more capacity than Dacron. 35-lb.-test Gel-Spun Backing gives you more capacity than using 20-lb. Dacron, which is why it is the backing of choice for big-game angling. Braided from gel-spun polyethylene, this incredible fly line backing is 10 times stronger than steel in equal diameters. A very small diameter for higher yardage on the reel means slower spool rpms on runs and faster pickups. Gel-Spun fly line backing has virtually no stretch, is extremely abrasion-resistant, yet has a very low coefficient of friction so it will not damage your fly rod guides, and retains 100% of its strength while in the water. Unaffected by UV, gas, oil, salt or detergents. Fly line backing comes in 35- and 50-lb. test.