Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Spinner blades

With the walleye opener just around the corner and me being kind of a rookie to the whole spinner rig set up I am just wondering what guys use for blades and bead colors? I have some spinner rig building materials but mostly just use the pretied northland rigs with the bait fish blades.

Is there any sizes, colors, and shapes of blades that you go to more then others?

Any spinner rig info will probably help me out huge later in the season when moving faster gets you alot more eyes. I mainly fish the southern reservoirs if this makes a difference. I tend to stay away from trolling spinners and mainly jig or drift lindy rigs and slow death but really want to learn more about spinner fishing.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM

PM sent..
o ya I like my beer cold...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM

ive changed from spinners to mostly Worden smileys or spin and glows....i hate the clevis/algae mung up
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Thats weird Darter, My partner gave away a ton of spin and glows a few years ago because he had to many and never really used them.

I don't have any smileys or spin and glows so maybe that will have to be something to look into getting once I get my finances figured out and back on track.

Gramps, There will be beers and always on ice. I will be at chin 3-4 days ahead of the tourney so if you are there early stop by and grab a beer or 7 from the cooler. We will probably be tucked in the very back corner closest to the water in the group site again. Instead of the tiny trailer though I am hoping to have my camper brackets on my truck and the camper parked back there.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

I like the colorado style blades because I think they spin better on a slower troll and give the spinner more lift. I like to have brass, silver, chartruse, and bright orange.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM

look on the color spectrum and use colors that dont disapear in quicky in the watter
Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Thats weird Darter, My partner gave away a ton of spin and glows a few years ago because he had to many and never really used them.

I don't have any smileys or spin and glows so maybe that will have to be something to look into getting once I get my finances figured out and back on track.

Gramps, There will be beers and always on ice. I will be at chin 3-4 days ahead of the tourney so if you are there early stop by and grab a beer or 7 from the cooler. We will probably be tucked in the very back corner closest to the water in the group site again. Instead of the tiny trailer though I am hoping to have my camper brackets on my truck and the camper parked back there.
i'll be in the bridge in the next 10 days...i'll bring you some...got cartons full
my favorite travers colors
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Sounds good Darter. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

FH7 I don't fish any deeper then 25-30 feet of water so most colors don't disappear. Would be a good call if I was fishing in 40 feet or deeper though.

I will be ordering a cabelas bead kit whenever I get the chance so I will have a solid selection of beads. I may also order a soft glow bead kit while I am at it. This way I will have pretty much everything needed to build rigs and figure out some solid patterns.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds good Darter. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

FH7 I don't fish any deeper then 25-30 feet of water so most colors don't disappear. Would be a good call if I was fishing in 40 feet or deeper though.

I will be ordering a cabelas bead kit whenever I get the chance so I will have a solid selection of beads. I may also order a soft glow bead kit while I am at it. This way I will have pretty much everything needed to build rigs and figure out some solid patterns.
well dont use red.
Iv had good experances on multicolored beads. mix and match em. on the bead line use pink,chartuse, ect somthing to attarct them then use your bait to kill em
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM

i found in the last few years a tinsel head works better for larger eyes on a clear plexi cutter....it pulses the bait
Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Default "Rookie to blade fishing"

Quote:
With the walleye opener just around the corner and me being kind of a rookie to the whole spinner rig set up I am just wondering what guys use for blades and bead colors? I have some spinner rig building materials but mostly just use the pretied northland rigs with the bait fish blades.

Is there any sizes, colors, and shapes of blades that you go to more then others?

Any spinner rig info will probably help me out huge later in the season when moving faster gets you alot more eyes. I mainly fish the southern reservoirs if this makes a difference. I tend to stay away from trolling spinners and mainly jig or drift lindy rigs and slow death but really want to learn more about spinner fishing.
Hey Nate,

I am shocked to see you've never pulled much for blade rigs. I have always liked the in-fisherman's articles and tv programing. i came across this 4 page article that reads quite well on the different components and the system. i think you'll benefit from it.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/...#axzz1KaNXrtBg

Dace
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am surprised that everyone is so shocked that I don't know a ton about blades. I have pulled them before and had some success but I rarely go down that path because I love jigging and lindy rigging so much. I figure this will be the season to sharpen up my blading skills and see what happens.

I will check out that article later tonight after the little rug rat is in bed and see what I can learn from it.

Darter, whats a tinsel head and plexi cutter?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am surprised that everyone is so shocked that I don't know a ton about blades. I have pulled them before and had some success but I rarely go down that path because I love jigging and lindy rigging so much. I figure this will be the season to sharpen up my blading skills and see what happens.

I will check out that article later tonight after the little rug rat is in bed and see what I can learn from it.

Darter, whats a tinsel head and plexi cutter?
tinsel head....you know the tinsel insert that goes in a hoochie head
i had some flashers made up of plexi , like the long ones in my garage cleaning thread. they swing back and forth pulseing the bait about 3 inches forward
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM

I'm with you nate, never pulled a spinner until last year and still didn't do it much. But so far, silver or gold colorado or indiana blades have been good to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
tinsel head....you know the tinsel insert that goes in a hoochie head
i had some flashers made up of plexi , like the long ones in my garage cleaning thread. they swing back and forth pulseing the bait about 3 inches forward
Ahh I see. I wonder if my grandpa still has all of his old hoochies and rigging set ups for that type of stuff. If he does I will look into it. I can get tons of plexi or lexan so I could make something. Never heard of that technique for eyes.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Ahh I see. I wonder if my grandpa still has all of his old hoochies and rigging set ups for that type of stuff. If he does I will look into it. I can get tons of plexi or lexan so I could make something. Never heard of that technique for eyes.
my guide buddy down in Dalles taught me that trick
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

I use foilistic and holigraphic blades and translucent,bicone,or silver lined beads, they seem to reflect the best.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I use foilistic and holigraphic blades and translucent,bicone,or silver lined beads, they seem to reflect the best.
Long time no hear whats shaken buddy?
ps nice spin on the spinner.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting set-up. I'm assuming you tip it with bait? or no? I mostly jig for walleye so I find this quite interesting.
I'd bite that!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM

How does that rig do with the slow death hook on it? For crawlers it should roll like crazy but I wouldn't think it would be a benefit to use the slow death hooks if you are using leeches or minnows. When I tow slow death I usually just run the hook with a single bead and a mono or fluoro leader.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Hmmm, interesting set-up. I'm assuming you tip it with bait? or no? I mostly jig for walleye so I find this quite interesting.
I'd bite that!
I like jigging as well, but when your searching for walleye, or when they are spread out, a bouncer/spinner is pretty hard to beat IMO.
I usually run a single hook for leeches, unless I am using the 5 inch ones. I tie them double hook for gulp crawlers or minnows.

Last edited by bobalong; 04-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
How does that rig do with the slow death hook on it? For crawlers it should roll like crazy but I wouldn't think it would be a benefit to use the slow death hooks if you are using leeches or minnows. When I tow slow death I usually just run the hook with a single bead and a mono or fluoro leader.
The slow death doesn't really roll the crawler that much, just a nice slow roll.
I have used them with leeches (5") and minnows to, it seems to work with any bait, but have not really seen them work much better than standard hooks.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGSLAYER View Post
Long time no hear whats shaken buddy?
ps nice spin on the spinner.
Same old, same old, I might be down there for the next 2-3 days, momma has a conference.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Running blades very slowly is one of my favorite ways to catch Walleyes. I usually look for a good spot any start trolling very slowly ( between 0.5 to .08 m/hr). either tipped with 2 leeches or a big dew worm in the middle to give it the duel tail look. Its a good way to cover a bunch of ground till you find them. If I remember I'll take a few pictures when i get home tonight of my favorite blades. My most productive rig was the one my daughter made ( 7yrs old) its got lots of red & pink.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

I usually pull blades at about 1 mph, if I need to slow down, I will switch to smiley's which spin at about .2 or .3 mph.
I dont use a whole bunch of different colored blades, but do use quite a few different size and shaped ones, and most of all of them reflect the light pretty well. While pulling blades I do not actually see a lot of color on the blade but when you add a few lines for contrast they show up really well. I do use see the color of the beads more and use quite a few different colors and sizes, most of them some kind of bicone, or translucent which also reflect well.

I tie up my smiley's with a tandem blade, and will do the same with colorado's, usually in two diffferent sizes though
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

lol we organize our spinner boxes differently.....notice im more of a free spirit....hahhahaha
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I usually pull blades at about 1 mph, if I need to slow down, I will switch to smiley's which spin at about .2 or .3 mph.
I dont use a whole bunch of different colored blades, but do use quite a few different size and shaped ones, and most of all of them reflect the light pretty well. While pulling blades I do not actually see a lot of color on the blade but when you add a few lines for contrast they show up really well. I do use see the color of the beads more and use quite a few different colors and sizes, most of them some kind of bicone, or translucent which also reflect well.
do you notice a big difference tying your spinners with 2 blades? why do you choose to do it that way? and how(2beads- blade - 3-5 beads - blade? with the larger blade on top)?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM

I've honestly never spun for Eyes that I can recall. Man I need to evolve from chucking bait lol.....nahhh.
Stang could offer u some tips too, if he's in the mood. Unless, I'm jigging with a lil bait or casting out minnows on the SSR, I'm slightly "walleye challenged" but still find them quite easy to wrangle. Lake fishing -just need to find where there holding...I can't help ya there.

Last edited by Fishfinder; 04-26-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added a comma
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
do you notice a big difference tying your spinners with 2 blades? why do you choose to do it that way? and how(2beads- blade - 3-5 beads - blade? with the larger blade on top)?
I have noticed it quite a bit better for the smiley's not so much for the colorado's. I usually tie 3 or 4 beads, smiley, 2 beads, smiley and then two more beads, but I am sure they work any number of ways.
For the colorado set up I tie about the same amount of beads with the larger blade on the front and the smaller one behind.
With the two smiley's you get twice the flash, the same with the colorado and you also get twice the "thump". The reason I do it is just to try something that looks or "feels" a little different to the walleye, and maybe get me that extra fish or that one "kicker" I need when tournament fishing.
I have been pulling blades for walleye since about 1990 and they have found, and caught me more walleye than any other presentation I have used.

I caught my biggest walleye in Alberta to date (10.6) pulling a blade. This was at Pigeon back in the crazy days.........man I miss those days.