Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Default Priority questions

Hey folks, I have a few questions about priority that I can't seem to figure out from the regs.

If I have been putting in for 410 trophy sheep for the last few years and I want to 999 this year, do all my priority points turn to 999, Does this year's point automatically just stack as a 410, or would it be two separate allotments of points?

Conversely, if I were to put my sheep point towards a 999 ewe tag, do the trophy points I have accumulated stay put?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 AM

The only way that a priority changes is when you apply for that draw code. If you draw a tag, you lose all of the priority points for that draw code. If you apply for a tag and are not drawn , or apply using 999, your priority for that draw code increases by one. If you do not apply for that draw code, the priority for that draw code does not change.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-28-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 AM

Not really sure what you are asking...

All draw codes are separate. Do you know the function of 999?

If you 999 you just add a priority point without putting your name forward to draw in the year you chose 999.

Trophy sheep points and non trophy sheep point are different draw codes and completely unrelated.

LC
Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 AM

Yes i u derstand the function of 999, I was under the impression though that you could only put in one application per species though. So if they are different draw codes does that mean I could have been putting in for antlered and antlerless of all species? Dang that's a lot of wasted points.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 AM

There is a chart on page 10 in the 2018 draw booklet that shows you exactly what you can apply for. In some cases, you can apply for more than one draw code for a species, and in some like moose, you can only apply for one draw code for the species. The chart makes it very clear as to which combinations you can apply for.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-28-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is a chart on page 10 in the 2018 draw booklet that shows you exactly what you can apply for. In some cases, you can apply for more than one draw code for a species, and in some like moose, you can only apply for one draw code for the species. The chart makes it very clear as to which combinations you can apply for.
This...

LC
Old 05-28-2018, 02:00 PM

Ok, thank you. I've never actually seen a paper copy, just done draws online. That'll teach me for just going off what other people say. Going to go pick up a booklet after work now.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:06 PM

If I understand you correctly I think I know what your saying...

You’ve applied for the last few years in 410 for sheep wanting to win the draw
Now this year you definitely do not want to win as your busy or whatever but you still want to increase your priority in 410 with a 999 but worried it won’t go towards your 410 sheep....correct?
If so no it won’t start you over it will just add a priority to your 410 you just won’t end up in the actual draw this year.

Anyone else want to verify my interpretation? I’ve been wrong before but my wife usually informs me of it.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
If I understand you correctly I think I know what your saying...

You’ve applied for the last few years in 410 for sheep wanting to win the draw
Now this year you definitely do not want to win as your busy or whatever but you still want to increase your priority in 410 with a 999 but worried it won’t go towards your 410 sheep....correct?
If so no it won’t start you over it will just add a priority to your 410 you just won’t end up in the actual draw this year.

Anyone else want to verify my interpretation? I’ve been wrong before but my wife usually informs me of it.
Yep, thats what I was getting at. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:21 AM

As posted previously, the draw code determines priority, not the wmu/draw choice. It doesn't matter which wmu/ draw choice you apply under, the priority point will be added to the draw code.999 is a draw choice, just like a wmu.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 PM

Ok that really clarifies it, thank you.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 AM

Default draws

Last year for paper copy for draws, next year all on line so get a booklet fast.