Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Your correct in Alberta if someones dog chases your livestock, just shoot it and call the owner to come pick up the carcus. Totally legal!!
Good practice but neighbors don't need to know you shot their dog. Keeps neighbors neighborly.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
35 years a rancher shot more then a few of your free roaming dogs in my day.

Have you ever lost a calf to someones family pet running wild and free because they're to lazy to teach them to stay home ?? then yup DRT....sorry but been there done that.

PS. your little fluffy with the pink ribbons in it's hair might get a pass.

Haha! I am glad there's internet sights like this So that people like you can come on here and display your man hood.
My guess is you have never seen a real wild dog.... Congrats on shooting some campers lost dog, I bet it made you feel good. I am curious if you would like someone shooting your ranch dog because it was away from your house? You have no clue what it's like on a real ranch, one the has bear and wolf and real wild dog problems on a weekly basis. Please don't hunt anywhere near these locations, real ranchers don't need you shooting there dogs.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Try as I might, I can't see a collar on either one. OP says it's a long ways to anywhere residential.

What responsible pet owner has those dogs loose with no collar???

Two big fellas like that, capable of causing damage if that is their bent.

SSS
Old 05-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Any dog chasing or harassing livestock can legally be shot. Doesn't have to be but can.
A healthy looking dog in the wild is a different story. If you actually see it chasing say a deer, shoot at your own risk.
It may be lost and it's owner is out looking for it. Or they may be camping nearby. I'm not talking private ranchland obviously.
Or it may be in fact a feral dog killing for a living.
Again do what you want at your own risk, morals, etc.

I love dogs but love wildlife also. Only thru work have I personally encountered this scenario, Not on my own.
I have a large ranch now and myself and all my neighbors keep our dogs in check. Almost every rancher is like this. If my dog wonders to the neighbors and is chasing his cows, I would want my dog shot. Just how it is.

What popcan caught on camera could be a few different scenarios.
Popcan knows wolvesvery well. If he was questioning it for a brief second, probably most reasonable people would or should. Hard to take back a bullet is all I'm saying imho.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Haha! I am glad there's internet sights like this So that people like you can come on here and display your man hood.
My guess is you have never seen a real wild dog.... Congrats on shooting some campers lost dog, I bet it made you feel good. I am curious if you would like someone shooting your ranch dog because it was away from your house? You have no clue what it's like on a real ranch, one the has bear and wolf and real wild dog problems on a weekly basis. Please don't hunt anywhere near these locations, real ranchers don't need you shooting there dogs.
The difference is my dogs stay at home. Not much good to me if they're helping the neighbor instead of doing their job at home. Control your dogs and there's no issue.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:19 PM

All the ranchers I know, myself included have no use for a dog that won't stay at home. Dogs that run can cause a lot of problems with neighbours.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
All the ranchers I know, myself included have no use for a dog that won't stay at home. Dogs that run can cause a lot of problems with neighbours.
Yessir. Going thru this right now. Neighbor figured he needs two Pyrenees to guard his sheep. Funny thing is that they're not guarding his sheep when they're seen a township away. Caught them in my cows once but missed. Someone else didn't miss I suppose because he's been looking for his dogs for 2 weeks now.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Had a similar issue in my community, only the guy had way way more than just 2 Pyrenees. Big trouble for a lot of people
Old 05-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Cody J, your neighbor's hired men and and roaming highland cattle were more of a menace than his 15 Great Pyrenees dogs.

I'm not sure why some are choosing to hack on Popcan; he obviously knows what a wolf looks like and was just looking for some feedback on the pic.

I've heard many comments about my "poor dogs" that are kennelled
when I'm not with them. If I don't kennel my collies, they'll either get killed
By a cow or horse, run over by a car, or shot by a neighbor for chasing livestock. When I lived by a reserve, we had a bunch of stray dogs around, chasing my cows and chasing deer. I should have shot more of them but didn't have the heart. I even caught two in wolf snares and turned them loose. I'm pretty forgiving with my neighbors dogs, as I wouldn't want someone shooting one of my collies as retribution for shooting their tire biter.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM

There was many times more than 15 dogs when at their peak. And I do consider a dozen of those big dogs a menace when they are in my yard where my children play. The hired men and cattle are a whole other story
Old 05-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Had a similar issue in my community, only the guy had way way more than just 2 Pyrenees. Big trouble for a lot of people
what is it about Pyrenees ? Seem to be nothing but trouble. Sheep farmer neighbor has a bunch that seem to wander far and wide, talking miles here. One already got a bullet when he was harassing another neighbor's cattle and he's had a bunch of warnings about the rest.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
what is it about Pyrenees ? Seem to be nothing but trouble. Sheep farmer neighbor has a bunch that seem to wander far and wide, talking miles here. One already got a bullet when he was harassing another neighbor's cattle and he's had a bunch of warnings about the rest.

Grizz
I don't know what makes them wander but gonna figure they're more suited for luggage stop sask because there's nothing between there and skid mark sask.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Quite literally the nature of the beast. From what I understand, they’re bred to patrol large areas and harass/kill anything they aren’t familiar with. Might have worked ok in ancient Europe, not so much now. Every Pyrenees story I’ve heard starts or ends badly.

Re: the op, yeah I’d say those are malamutes. Very capable killers in their own right and wouldn’t get a pass from me. Want dogs? Keep them controlled
Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Guess you got real answers from real posters, ABOUT your post. So I will leave it at that.

PS. if my dog was chasing the neighbors cows or killing the wildlife in the area, they should shot my dog.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 05-27-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Couple of dogs like that could have just been driven to a remote location
and abandoned. That would account for the lack of collars. Two dogs like that
could sure kill a lot of fawns along with harassing livestock.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are comparing Apple's to oranges. Just shooting a random lost dog that is walking through the woods is illegal. Just like shooting a random lost cow.
have to agree silver....they're not fair game if they're not chasing your livestock.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Those are somebodies dogs that have strayed too far from home. I have witnessed numerous dogs wandering around my property. Have many pictures of them on trail cams, and have witnessed a few of them chasing deer on my place. Unfortunately I was never quick enough to get a shot. I have owned dogs my entire life, and they never left the yard, and I feel that there is no reason in hell for some neighbors' dog being 2 miles from home. It will be quite simple if have they come back.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Great Pyreneese are predisposed to travelling. They need to be kept in a fence or trained to stay home. We had a female that, once spayed, stayed at home but we made it very uncomfortable for her if she left the yard. I also think that if you only have one and they don't pack up with the neighbor's dog, they are also more likely to stay home. We now have a Sarplenniac, and she doesn't roam.

It's kind of like people who buy a border collie and then shoot it because it won't quit chasing things.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Aside from like dogs, the up tail is a dead giveaway.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky